Leather Scabbard for Me Pointy

James Smythe

For those of you that may not know I am currently in the process of building a scabbard for my new sword from Privateer Armory. I have just acquired enough supplies to start the project and will be updating it here. I plan on a stretched leather scabbard with no wooden core. I also plan on adding a bronze tip and and lock.

hatchetpoint-cutlass1.jpg

This is the sword I bought and a link to Privateer Armory.

smythesig-2.jpg

cool. It took me 3 goes to make one for my sword but that was a straight blade so probably wasnt as hard to make as the one you are going to do. Just watch you leave plenty of room as when the leather dries it shrinks slightly. The second one I made i had to cut the blade out of as it was jammed in good and proper.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

DSCN0855.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

DSCN0852.jpg

Here is the first update. I have stretched and formed the leather and added a bronze locket. I now must wait for the leather to completely dry before proceeding. So far no trouble with the blade draw. I intentionally made it a bit big to accommodate for shrinkage. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it will still draw when dry.

smythesig-2.jpg

Just as an update...

I am thinking of buying a slat of pine to make a false blade to widen and stretch it some. Although the blade is drawable it is a bit snug and I am going to see if I can retrofit a stretch. Nothing to lose at this point as the false blade will not let it shrink past its original size.

smythesig-2.jpg

this works but i don't know if its something i'd recommend. The scabbard i first made that was too tight so I got a rubber mallet and gave it a good bashing. Think it squashed it down that little bit so I could slide the blade in and out easier. Worked for me but theres a risk it could damage the stitching.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...