Fancy Ropework

Dutchman

This is a bosun's whistle lanyard I made. It's #120 (about 3/16 inch) 4 strand cotton line. The small loop knot is a crown and wall knot doubled. The large loop is a trebled diamond knot- didn't turn out so well due to me not laying the splice properly- first attempt so o.k. i guess. The ring holding the pipe is the one it came with- i'll make a larger one when i get home to a piece of brass rod.

0731112035.jpg

• 1 month later...

last nights project-

a new harness for a ditty bag as the dog ate my old bag. seriously, whole damnded bag! anyhow- handle is wrapped with coxwaining, into a matthew walker, six strand round sennet, star knot, then a turks head for a slider.

the book is a new one i found at wooden boat- lots of good info on tools and techniques rather than the knots. it also goes into sewing stitches. good book.

edit- ok pic was done before the coxwaining and the star is a bit loose. i didnt have any tools to tighten it down at the time- looks better now.

0904112029.jpg

I'm after making some rope quoits to amuse my Small during events (And to give me summat to do in front of the punters mebbe) Any tips or tutorials for how to using 3 strand hemp?

Ideally I'd like to end up with summat that looks like

deck-quoits.jpg

Or

sward-quoits.jpg

Even all round rather than wi' a gurt big lump on one side.

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Bloody brilliant stuff! Thanks for that link.

I'll have to stick with the hemp as I have a 100m reel of 10mm baksheesh, summat to hone me skills on any way =o) Thanks again.

Grymm

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

10mm- kind of light to make quoit rings. to make thicker rings- put a bit of a twist WITH the lay to tighten it then work it into a ring the same way. you wont have the previous lays to guide you, but it shouldnt be that hard to do if you take your time. maybe add some twists to the line as you go to help it lay into place. would make your rings 30mm thick instead of 10.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
Ringbolt hitching is an attractive way to cover a solid ring. One strand is involed so the ends can be tied in a knot (in this case a modified diamond knot)

SyKFZP2.jpg

or a turks head knot

KFm8I5H.jpg

This is how I did it

With standing end on left of ring bring Working End through ring and make half hitch.

JauNxLz.jpg

Bring WE through ring and from left to right through crossing point and pull snug

sP5bRDx.jpg

yuWnbaB.jpg

Bring WE through ring and repeat above steps

Lvti8rZ.jpg

When there is roon for only one more hitch bring WE through the ring and UP through the loop holding the Standing End

3yrVUnV.jpg

Next bring WE through the crossing point and DOWN through the loop

UdHIhuD.jpg

Pull the standing End down through the loop and the hitching is complete. The ends may be glued or held in place with a contrasting color Turks Head knot

51P605n.jpg

OR

Turks Head tied with two ends

Make a clockwise loop with left end in front of ring and a counter-clockwise loop with the right end through the loop

6JtEt6Q.jpg

Bring each end over the strand and through the corresponding loops on top

efHsely.jpg

Bring each end down across one strand and through the loop on the bottom

KIpTXOc.jpg

The Turks Head tied with two ends is complete. You can tighten it up and hide the ends or double it by bring each end parallel to the strand just below it

FRlcgUl.jpg

As I mentioned the finishing knot can be doubled (or even tripled) by following parallel to the indicated strand. Cut the ends close to the knot and push them under the knot to hide them.

cvkXS1A.jpg

Double Monkey Fist Knot

This is Ashley Book of Knots # 2206. Since it has 12 faces as compared to the 6 faces of a regular monkey fist it is sometimes called the double monkey fist.

bbcc.jpg

I have written a tutorial if anyone is interested

I'm interested. Feel free to share any tutorials here.

This is ABOK 2206. It requires a LOT of twine in the set-up, about half of which will be recovered when the knot is tightened. Here is how the lay-out looks - about 10' of paracord
l7f0cAk.jpg
Tightened around a 7/8" diameter core - about 5 1/2' of paracord left over
ntsItpM.jpg
The fist is made up of 4 circles. You must put in the desired number of turns in each circle before going on to the next circle.
Start at the outside of each circle. I am showing only two turns in each circle to make the layout easier to see.
In this tutorial the standing end is on the right and the working end is on the left.
Circle 1 - Clockwise
eHPYjCn.jpg
Circle 2 - - sharp turn - Counterclockwise - go over, under turns of first circle
FQe51f6.jpg
Circle 3 - clockwise - go under, over, over, under the turns of circles one and two
ZpIGGwf.jpg
Circle 4 - 180 degree turn over the turns you just went under then clockwise under, over, under, over, under the turns ov the previous circles
neyYI3m.jpg
Slack in this knot must be taken out slowly. I find that it is easier to hold the working end and gradually take out the slack towards the standing end. In this way the circles are closing in on themselves from inside to outside.

Nice! Now, once I tie on some hammock netting to my boat's lifelines (gotta keep the toddler inboard), I might have a project with any leftover line...and possibly have to purchase a bit of extra para cord just for that!

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Single strand half hitching is useful for covering all sorts of things

knife sheath tied around cardboard tube

bNYIoI7.jpg

Handle for tool box

sm2ItpJ.jpg

carabiner cover (not piritacal but it shows that the ends of the single strand are hidden.

SPuAq1H.jpg

Here is how I hid the ends

Tie overhand knot around ring, short tag end. Pull down tag end parallel to ring.

T2ubxCt.jpg

Tie half hitch around ring and tag end. Pull tight.

UdHxozm.jpg

Continue half hitching until desired length. Tie at least 4 loose half hitches reeve Working End through these hitches.

Srr0UyH.jpg

Starting with loop in top center (second loose loop). One at a time. Tighten the remaining loops (four in all)

fyvDc0z.jpg

juhzV1y.jpg

dlpmojH.jpg

foR2YeQ.jpg

Pull working end and trim

PFLttgK.jpg

Nice! Now, once I tie on some hammock netting to my boat's lifelines (gotta keep the toddler inboard), I might have a project with any leftover line...and possibly have to purchase a bit of extra para cord just for that!

If you are interested in making your own nets I have written Instructions (now over 30 years old) that have stood the test of time;

nettinginstructions1.jpg
nettinginstructions2.jpg
If you are interested in exploring the craft further check out the nets and net making section here. Over a dozen net making related topics.

• 10 months later...