New Shoes

Ok, not made by me but just arrived today...

5991512651_7509383a0c.jpg

My new shoes from Reconstructing History! Thanks Kass & Bob!

Now I just have to procure some buckles and start breaking them in.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

"The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil."

They look real interesting. Do you have any front shots or side shots of the shoe? How wide are the latchets? I have been interested in the Reconstructing History shoes myself, but haven't seen any close up pics of them yet. Also, would be interested in seeing where you can get period correct buckles. Seems that its hard to find them these days.

More shoe photos:

6000275319_dc96c0a0c2.jpg

6000822222_0e0592f42a.jpg

6000821214_d53e0e4f57.jpg

The latchets measure 1 inch, but Bob said they could easily be trimmed to 3/4.

I'm still looking for proper buckles. Seems like the Holy Grail. Somewhere in my links I'd found some breeches buckles that would be perfect. Just have to hunt it down. If anyone has any or knows of a source please let me know.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

First thing that came to mind for shoe buckles:

http://www.re-enactm...8th_century.htm

Second that came to mind:

http://www.thequartermastergeneral.com/?category=buckles

A guy in Florida, Richard Lanni casts buttons and buckles from originals. You can reach him on Facebook.

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

• 3 months later...

I'm also interested in how well these shoes have worn so far, and what sort of fit they have. I've been interested in getting myself a pair of these for a very long time, but never really wanted to invest until someone else was the guinea pig, heh. They do look really nice though. I'm sorely tempted to grab myself a pair.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Pylos, Kass sells them for 129. She also has other shoes and boots

McCool, They fit very well, but for lack of buckles I've not yet had the opportunity to wear them properly. They seem as comfortable as any dress shoes I've owned. I'll have to make up a bit more black-ball to finish the polish and then some buckles and then we'll see how they do.

Brit, thanks for the tip. I will see what LA has for buckles. What I found so far tend to be just a little large for our period and are all double-pronged. I know there used to be some people that had PC single-pronged buckles available but, alas, no more.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

Yeah, so I take it GoF isn't offering them anymore? That used to be where everyone got them, from what I understand.

These shoes are looking better and better though. As soon as I can scrape together enough dough, I'm totally getting a pair.

Captain Jack McCool, landlocked pirate extraordinaire, Captain of the dreaded prairie schooner Ill Repute, etc. etc.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"That’s what a ship is, you know. It’s not just a keel, and a hull, and a deck, and sails. That’s what a ship needs. But what a ship is… what the Black Pearl really is… is freedom."

-Captain Jack Sparrow

Thanks, Brit, for suggesting LA.

I had looked at their shoes about the same time I found RH's. Although they're a very close replica of the Whydah shoe, they weren't quite what I was looking for at the time. I may have to get a pair of those too, in the future, lol.

I didn't see buckles listed anywhere on the site so I kept looking elsewhere. Never thought to ask them if they had them available separately.

Well, they do! And, they look to be as close to PC as you can find currently, although, in my enthusiasm, I forgot to find out if they were double or single spiked on the chape. They were $14 USD plus shipping and the staff was very helpful. As soon as they arrive and I get them mounted, I'll post pictures.

Edited by Capt. Trueblood

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

Do you mean Reconstructing History had them, or Loyalist Arms had them?

-Captain Jack Sparrow

My shoes are from Reconstructing History. The buckles I was referring to, I purchased from Loyalist Arms. Loyalist also sells shoes (buckles included) which are based on the Whydah wreck shoe. I have not purchased a pair of the Loyalist shoes yet. The shoes from LA are similar, square-toed shoes, but they have a taller heel.

Capt. Jacobus Trueblood

The Sloop Adventure

Right, got it. Thanks!

-Captain Jack Sparrow

• 2 weeks later...

Nice!

-Captain Jack Sparrow