Bottle Stopper

Desert Pirate

Don't quite know what you mean by that.

Could you describe it or put up a pic or something?

I have seen little ornaments that people make and jab down into the top of a cork to make it more decorative, but that's about it.

Sorry.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Ohhh...

Those are too cute. My thoughts about that is...those figurines at that link look like resin, so what I'd do (in other words, crafty and cheap) is get either a nice (small) figurine of a pirate (or skull) and affix it to a cork, which you can find at a hobby store. Or, I'd just make one out of polymer clay. If you make it and bake it correctly, it feels like resin when it's done.

Well, hope that helps...in case you don't have any luck in finding what you're looking for in a store.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

I would be lookin for one made of pewter if I had the choice .

So if anyone knows someone who might be able to cast one please let me know and how to get a hold of them.

Thanks

"There is no safe place in the land of Spain.

We'll take the ships and we own the Main."

Try Astral Sea Foundry. I don't have their website handy (me house eats stuff), but I'm sure if'n ye try google, ye'll get pointed in the right direction. I don't think Tom has cast such a thing yet, but he certainly can. I guess the only thing would be ta convince him that he could sell enough of 'em ta make it worth his while. Hope that helps.

I am Julius Aurelius, future ruler of the universe. Kneel quickly, for I have many feeble minds to overcome.

Me other suggestion is to make yer own. You can do this with metalic polymor clay. You can Halloween molds for the clay to get yer skull (candy molds work well too) and then emblish it with yer own bones. Attach it to an appropriate stopper material (cork or new polyster stopper). Once the clay is fired (in regular ovens usually), ye can enhance it with silver pewter and black paints.

Here's more information on it.

Precious metal clay

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

You don't need a kilm. The clay can be fired using a torch or a hot pot that costs less. See new link

"If you are using PMC3 material you can fire in a kiln, in our Hot Pot, or using a torch. For Hot Pot use, see our simple Hot Pot firing instructions."see step 10 for PMC3 firing instructions.

~Tori

Like any unmanned ship, a novice sailor will eventually steer into the wind and then in circles.

unless ye be showing off an excellent vintage (wanting yer guest(s) to see the label).....ye can get good effect by painting (glass paint) a nice rustic skull and cross bones on a wine bottle (label removed of course, and ye got to bake it to set the paint, I like Liquitex "Glossies"), decant yer merlot into it and use an old fashioned cork (so yer can pull it out with yer teeth.......

Arrr :huh:

I painted a set, skull/bones on the glasses, bones crossed around the base, very nice......yo ho ho and a glass of merlot (or two)

You can make one using the fimo clay you can get at any good craft store. It bakes right in your oven, then you can hot glue to a stopper.

Otherwise, the link that Endkaos gave for the skull stopper is the right price, believe it or not! Even though that one is sold.

My friend purchased a pewter mermaid for one of his bottles and paid $37.00 dollars for it!

Rumba Rue

**I had a mind once, I'm still looking for it** :huh:

You don't need a kilm. The clay can be fired using a torch or a hot pot that costs less. See new link

"If you are using PMC3 material you can fire in a kiln, in our Hot Pot, or using a torch. For Hot Pot use, see our simple Hot Pot firing instructions."see step 10 for PMC3 firing instructions.

are the fumes a problem? been very tempted to play with that......kiln price the big negative........

are the fumes a problem? been very tempted to play with that......kiln price the big negative........

B)B)B)

I haven't noticed any poblem with fumes.

;););)

Of course there are fumes. Just don't inhale. ;)

~Tori

I would be lookin for one made of pewter if I had the choice .

By the way, pewter is a fairly soft metal and will not hold up well to wear and tear of a bottle stopper. My pewter POTC skull & cross swords broke in less than a week.

~Tori

;););)

I haven't noticed any poblem with fumes.

;););)

Of course there are fumes. Just don't inhale. ;)

Uhmmmm....for how long?

I've got a lot of Kevin O'Hare's stuff from Fellowship Foundry, and it's not nearly as soft as you think. It's very sturdy, and well made. :) Most good manufacturer's have a tendancy is casting Pewter like Silver or Gold, thin. But Fellowship casts it heavy, and well made. :) Their cups are expensive, but well made, and can be reformed if the worst things happen to them. (I've seen someone bring him one that was run over by a car, and he fixed it back proper.)

I'll take a look when I'm on my travels this year, I'm always keeping my eyes out for Pirate stuff. :) If I find stoppers, and have extra money, I'll grab extras, or get business cards. :)

You bake Super Sculpey or Fimo Polymer clay for 15 minutes per 1/4 inch of thickness at 225-275 degrees. It only smells a tad while it's cooking, and then most of that is after you open the oven door after it's done. It doesn't smell at all (other than like plastic) after it's cooled.

It's a nice medium to work with, and it's very versatile. You can also cover BIC ballpoint pens with the stuff. As a matter of fact, they were selling some in Key West that were covered with clay and had pirate heads attached (all made out of polymer clay). They looked kind of neat. I thought I would have to try that sometime.

Anyway, the Super Sculpey that I get comes in a nude-flesh color, and it's the chosen material for dollmakers who use polymer clay. It hardens like plastic, and you don't have to paint it flesh-colored. Also, you can sand it after it's completely cooled.

You can also find polymer clay in, like, a zillion other colors...even like stone, and there's also a fun one that stays bendable after you bake it.

Yours,

:rolleyes:

Capt. WE Roberts