Big Mike's Knives

Big Mike is moving some knives from his collection. Mike is a friend of mine and has been making one of a kind knives for years. I've bought some 9 pieces from him myself. He's asked me to post a few from his collection as he just finished his new knife shop and wants to move on to all new creations.

SEE NEW ADDITIONS THROUGHOUT THE THREAD.

SOLD: The first is a damascus knife about eight and a third inches overall with brass and Malachite fittings and a dark wood which I believe is ebony.

Damascus01.jpg

Damascus02.jpg

Damascus03.jpg

Damascus04.jpg

Damascus05.jpg

SOLD: The second is a curved, double edged blade with a little wear and natural patina and mottling of black and brown on the blade. The handle is made of tulipwood and the piece is 13 and a quarter inches overall.

Tulipwood01.jpg

Tulipwood02.jpg

Tulipwood03.jpg

Tulipwood04.jpg

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

The third is an upswept kard with steel fittings and a polished palm wood handle. Asking $60 + shipping

Palmwood06.jpg

Palmwood05.jpg

Palmwood03.jpg

This looks like a blade for Onus-One-Eye. ;) ;)

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

This is a custom piece that Mad Pete commissioned through me in exchange for a map case. I think this is one of Mike's best trade knife/sailor's knife creations. It's a larger piece and it has a 5-5/8 inch blade (from the bolster to the point) and is around 10 inches overall.  It has silicone bronze bolsters and Caribbean Ziricote wood for the handle.  The pins and tubing are brass.

Pete05.jpg

Pete02.jpg

Pete06.jpg

Pete04.jpg

Pete01.jpg

Pete03.jpg

Pete's knife is Mad Pete's knife, so it's not for sale. I was just showing Mike's work. Mike can do custom designs and commissions, so if you like what you see, he can make something similar. I find that it's best to give him a rough idea and then free up the reins. He always adds something unique and he has an eye for materials.

AVAILABLE: Mike recently finished this new knife, which is the first knife he has done with darkened, brass scales and only the second knife to come out of his new shop. It is 8 inches overall with brass scales, pins and a lanyard hole.

Brass01.jpg

Brass03.jpg

Brass02.jpg

Brass05.jpg

Brass04.jpg

Brass06.jpg.

• 6 months later...

I dont think you need any special instructions for that kind of knife. Maybe just put on the customs form "Tool" just incase. Just ship it whatever way is cheapest (as long as its not surface mail as that always seems to go missing).

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I've talked to Mike and he is willing to ship to the UK. He'll be contacting you directly with questions and instructions.

And Mike sends along his thanks to Mad Pete. Anyone interested in getting a knife should know that Mike's new shop is complete and he's open for custom orders.

• 2 weeks later...

His shop is in Richmond, Utah. His website doesn't exist yet, and believe you me, we get after him for not setting one up all of the time. I'm scheduling a photo shoot of the shop and him working in the next few weeks. I wouldn't take 'no' for an answer.

• 1 month later...

Will do.

I'm headed up to Mike's place today to shoot images of the shop and setup. With events coming up this Summer I'm also going to talk a little shop about some knife projects. Maybe I can convince Mike to make me a cutlass.