Treasure Island 1990

Capn Bob

The classic 1990 version of Treasure Island, considered by many to be the best pirate movie ever, with Charlton Heston and Christian Bale, will be released on Sept 27, 2011. I have already pre-ordered my copy through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Treasure-Island-Charlton-Heston/dp/B0057FGCR8/ref=sr_1_4?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1309549151&sr=1-4

What's more, I should get mine in time for me Oct 23 cruise...save it to watch on the Byg Bus going to Baltimore

The rejoicing may now begin.

Damn, thats sharp!

The classic 1990 version of Treasure Island, considered by many to be the best pirate movie ever, with Charlton Heston and Christian Bale, will be released on Sept 27, 2011. I have already pre-ordered my copy through Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co...09549151&sr=1-4

What's more, I should get mine in time for me Oct 23 cruise...save it to watch on the Byg Bus going to Baltimore

The rejoicing may now begin.

Well, it's about time they made it available !!!!! :unsure:;) ;) :lol: :lol: Thanx....

Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

Splendid news indeed.

Jas.Hook :unsure:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 months later...

Huzzah! I just received notification from Amazon... DVD is in the mail. The wait is over, it's been released! :D

Jas. Hook ;)

Received in the mail about three hours after this post. Three cutlass' up for Amazon!

Jas. Hook :D

Great to get some inside information, bios and comments on the film from Fraser Heston.

Edited by Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

Got two copies. It is wonderful to watch this film with the clarity the DVD provides and in widescreen. And yes, can't believe it took them this long, There is also an excellent commentary on the film by Fraser Heston.

Favorite character? Without question, Oliver Reed as Billy Bones... My favorite pirate in any film, bar none...

BillyBones1.jpg

I just got this on Friday, and I have to say I am very happy with it. I had some kind of cheap version on DVD before with quality equal to youtube before this. Now this DVD actually allows me to see much more detail than before. New things I hadn't notice before came up, like Billy bones having a knuckle guard in place of the trigger guard and that Heston had gone all out and stained his teeth to look more accurate.

It was cool to listen to the commentary and find out a little more about the film, such as the costume aims. The director says that they tried to be historically accurate as possible. At the same time, he also says he allowed for the occasional flare in costuming for the sake of adding to a character, like the hats for example. The other thing is that he admits to heavily borrowing from the N.C. Wyeth illustrations of Treasure Island for costume and various shots in the film. Also, he sets the film in the 1740s-1750s, because you can argue that the book was set to that time period. With all those factors combined, Treasure Island costuming still manages to be decent half the time, or at least as decent in historical accuracy as something from Hollywood can be. There is always much room for improvement, but it has made it farther than many of the films before it.

In the commentary, the director makes a interesting comment on shooting at sea. This movie uses the HMS Bounty reproduction for their vessel. In talking about that, he mentions how many directors advise that going to sea for shooting is a bad idea. Heston on the other hand says that with enough effort and organizing (and listening to the expert sailors on board) that it can be done well enough. Based on the film, I would have to say he figured out how to do it right.

This film also has some of my favorite fight scenes for pirate films. The fight in the Benbow Inn is great because not only do you see a fight where there isn't fancy swordplay (but actual trying to hack the bejesus out of your opponent), but there is a mid-battle misfire of a pistol, which are not seen enough in films.

It is amazing how this was a TV-film, for I've seen released in theater movies not as good as this. This is also the best version of Treasure Island that I know of for both entertainment and being close to the novel. But, the 1950 Disney version for me will always be a close second.

I got my copy...last week, I think it was. I haven't watched it yet, cuz I be savin' it for when I'm on ship. Aye, this 'ere pyrate be going on a cruise, and I'll be needin' something...suitable...to watch. Inspirational material, that's the ticket!

Damn, thats sharp!

...New things I hadn't notice before came up, like Billy bones having a knuckle guard in place of the trigger guard...

Hummmmm... in Pyrat's posted pic it looks like there is a trigger guard plus the knuckle guard.

Perhaps Cascabel can enlighten us on how common this was. I wonder if it is an aid to use the pistol to parry sword thrusts???? :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

Got my copy yesterday from Amazon and quickly ordered a second for a friend! My favorite scene was when Long John meets with the gentlemen for a parley and asks for help standing back up. All refuse and he must twist about as he attempts to rise. Very cool!

...New things I hadn't notice before came up, like Billy bones having a knuckle guard in place of the trigger guard...

Hummmmm... in Pyrat's posted pic it looks like there is a trigger guard plus the knuckle guard.

Perhaps Cascabel can enlighten us on how common this was. I wonder if it is an aid to use the pistol to parry sword thrusts???? :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

Many years ago, I saw one like that in an antique weapons dealer's catalog (Robert Abels). Never saw another one, so I suspect it was not common. I helped Braze make one for his pistol. It came out very nice, actually nicer than the one in the movie. I'm sure it was intended to parry sword cuts. I can see no other reason for it.

>>>>> Cascabel

Favorite character? Without question, Oliver Reed as Billy Bones... My favorite pirate in any film, bar none...

Reed was originally cast to play Morgan Adams' father in Cutthroat Island, but was replaced when the producers realised that he couldn't be relied on to stay sober long enough to get his lines out.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

And that was real important - since Morgan Adams' father had so much screen time . . .

It is a shame that in five years from his story line roll out part in Treasure Island he went to being rejected for a tiny part in Cutthroat Island. :wacko:

Jas. Hook ;)

Wow! I gotta' get a copy of that film!

Did you guys know that Stevenson's story may have been based on a true Piratical incident? I found (and ordered -- it should arrive in a couple of days) a book by John Amrhine where he tracks down the source of the story. I can't wait to read it.

He had an earlier book (which I read over and over to get "hints" to other wrecks off the island) called "The Hidden Galleon" which may be the source of the horses on Assateague Island. He makes a compelling case for the U.S. Parks Service to allow the site to be excavated for a museum.

Anyway, here's some more info on the Treasure Island story http://www.treasureislandtheuntoldstory.com/

• 7 months later...