Period Wool Blankets

I was thinking about obtaining a new blanket for my kit. But it then occurred to me, I don't have any sources that describe what a period blanket at sea would be like (I have references to blankets, but not of their construction). I guess the real question here is, was a blanket that a sailor would pick up be any different from a blanket that a common person would use on land? I doubt it, but assuming can get you into trouble.

If not, I am thinking of getting a blanket from here: http://www.macauslandswoollenmills.com/products.html (see their products, the "natural white" blanket under "blanket (natural)" seems to fit the bill)

Anyone else have recommendations on where to get a accurate blanket?

the only thing I can think of that might be important here is dimensions, weight, material, and weave. I would be interested in what were period dimensions to see if they are close to what we consider (relatively) normal sizes for blankets.

There was a good chapter in one of the "Book(s) of Buckskinning" about historical blankets. Off hand, I can't remember if the information went back far enough, but if might have.... let me check and see if I can find it again.

You might contact C.J. Wilde of the Wilde weavery she made my blankets on an antique Irish loom if any one was to be able to give you the information you are loking for it would be her. She does alot of research before she makes any pattern(color or weave pattern) for her blankets. Besides being all around good people she and her husdband are VERY detail oriented. The blankets they normaly emulate are form the F and I period or Rev war. They are the best I could find or afford(they are not cheap one was almost $700 and my sons was just over $500)

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

You might contact C.J. Wilde of the Wilde weavery she made my blankets on an antique Irish loom if any one was to be able to give you the information you are loking for it would be her. She does alot of research before she makes any pattern(color or weave pattern) for her blankets. Besides being all around good people she and her husdband are VERY detail oriented. The blankets they normaly emulate are form the F and I period or Rev war. They are the best I could find or afford(they are not cheap one was almost $700 and my sons was just over $500)

Wow, that is a lot for a blanket. I will definitely contact them for information, but it appears their blankets are out of stock.

Witney Blankets have been around long time and were certainly being traded to the colonies in the 17th & 18thC

Witney Blanket Story Website

They ent cheap by they is warm =o)

Early's (of Witney) were the best but I think that duvets and quilts have killed their blanket trade, they turn up on ebay occasionally and there are some manufacturers making looky likey 'point blankets'.

There's even a site dedicated to vitage point blankys The Point Blanket Site

But essentially Early's are good from mid 17thC to about now =o)

A search for Early's of Witney or Point Blankets on ebay turned up a few most at $100+

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

ebay site selling point blankets

Also search for hudson bay blankets

From the witney blanket site

By the 1670s Witney blanket makers had established new markets for their products in North America and Africa, as well as having a good domestic reputation. By now carts were travelling every week from Witney to London loaded with blankets to sell and export, and returning laden with raw wool. The Hudson Bay Trading Company was established in 1670 and placed an order for 45 pairs of 'Oxfordshire' blankets in 1681; it was to become an important client of Witney manufacturers in the future.

In 1677 the historian Dr Robert Plot wrote that Witney blankets 'are esteemed so far beyond all others, that this place has engrossed the whole trade of the Nation for this Commodity'. He also recorded that the Witney Industry employed at least 3,000 poor 'from 8 years old to decrepit old age'.

18th century

The Witney Blanket Weavers' Company was formed in 1711, following the issue of a Royal Charter of incorporation by Queen Anne. The 'Company' was really a guild set up to regulate the manufacture and sale of blankets made within a twenty mile radius of Witney. This degree of protection for the local trade had been a long time coming, since Witney weavers had for at least 60 years occasionally been voicing concerns about standards and fraudulent practices. The Company built its headquarters (known as the Blanket Hall) in the High Street and here blankets were weighed, inspected and marked, courts held and fines imposed on the members.

It has been estimated that when the Company was set up there would have been about 180 looms working in and around Witney directly employing around 360 people, with perhaps a further 2,000 or so men, women and children working in supporting roles as carders, spinners and quill winders.

Trade with the Hudson Bay Company increased from the early 18th century. Coarse blankets were sold to North America and finer ones to Spain and Portugal. The blanket trade generally seems to have expanded from the mid-18th century onwards, four or five waggon loads being sent to London every week in the 1760s.

Edited by Grymm

A major issue has arisen and you will most probably not see any more Wilde weavery blankes for sale. That being said the knowledge and research already done by themis still there for the asking. I believe my son recieved one of the last blankets she had for sale. A major travasty for sure wilde blankest are a pleasure to sleep in they will shed water(within reason), and are softer than any I have ever spent the night in, warm as toast I spent a frosty weekend sleeping on the ground, in a Missouri river bottom and spent tow tollerable knights there(only one blanket)!!

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

Brit Privateer.....I don't profess to be an expert on this subject....but....I checked your blanket source...and they look affordable and fairly correct. Hudson Bays are perfectly correct but I would stay with solids or single stripes. Either Early's or Hudson Bay makes one called a Gangaroo I believe is the name that is a series of one colored stripe throughout the whole blanket which I think to de earlier than single or multiple stripes. You can never go wrong with solid white or gray and the cruder the weave the better....Just my two cents worth. Check out the highlander sites they can date plaids and common blankets better than I and most pirates came from Scottish and Irish roots so I believe their early period blankets to be correct. Great Kilts have been around forever and they're nothing more than a plaid blanket. Check the flea marts...You can usually come up with some good Hudsons. Ya can't beat Hudsons, Early's, or Whitney's for warmth. You can find some good buys on ebay as well.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

Brit Privateer......I was wrong on the name of those striped blankets and still not shure what they're called, but here is a page to give you the idea of what they look like.http://www.nwtrader.com/hand-woven_early_blankets.html

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

This is going to make me sound like a right stitch counting twunt but;-

Plaid meaning tartan/checked/multi-coloured stripey/checky is a later application of the word,

in 16th-18thC weaving and Scots type speak plaid means either a blanket or a length of cloth and there are many refs from the 16thC onwards, when the Scots Highlanders start wearing belted plaid/great kilts, to plain white, grey or 'russet' 'plaids'.

No offence meant to any one btw, it's just one of those OCD button pushes for me.....I really must up the medication.

Edited by Grymm