forum

I suspect the lurking ratio is quite high.

Just for fun, I looked at the stats for the forum topic views. Since the first of this year (2011) there have been 146,788 topic views. (Every time you open a topic, that's a topic view.)

It broke down like this for the top 10 forums:

The Crow's Nest: 27,646

Captain Twill: 21,007

The Thieves Market: 15,721

Cascabel's Lock Stock & Barrel: 9,367

The Workshop: 9,016

Beyond Pyracy: 8,096

Pyrate Pop: 7,572

1stMate's Forge: 5,673

The Sewing Room: 4,186

Mercury Crew: 3,784

The number of posts during the same period was 7012.

Dividing it out: 146,788/7012= ~21 views for every post.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just for the record I do NOT think the pub is dying, just making observations.

All those lurkers, no wonder I feel like I'm being watched all the time! :huh::huh::huh:

Bo

Close the shower curtain then. :huh: :huh: :o

Jas. Hook :huh:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

You can't say every view is a lurker. Every time we look at a topic, we add to the count. (So if you look at the same topic a couple of times after people have posted to it, you increase the count a couple of times.)

I'd guess the lurker ratio is probably 5-10 to 1. That's a pretty typical number for how many people look at something vs. take action on it. (Not specifically for forums, mind you, but I'll bet it still applies.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

In February of 2013, the Pub will be coming up on her 10 year anniversary - I plan to keep her afloat in someway, shape or form at least until then. LOL

Facebook has its place and is great for touching base, reestablishing contact, self-promotion, contacting people you may not otherwise come in contact with - admittedly it has taken a bite out of Pyracy Pub traffic, but I think we’re far from being a dead forum.

Unlike the Pub, Facebook doesn't hold conversation well - at least not beyond short unmanageable bursts of the supercilious. On the Pub however, you can participate in and leave a conversation thread, then reply back some number of days, weeks, even months later without skipping a beat - and it works, that’s a strength.

I've been hanging around the Pub for quite a few years, as you can see. And yes, over the years there have been slow times and busy times. The event season, as stated above, is one reason, and FB another. Also, since it is so much easier these days to set up your own group FB/yahoo info page, most of the pyrates I hang with keep in touch there instead of here.

With a few exceptions, to me the Pub has become like a nice research library. People post things of historic interest they have found, pictures, etc. I do miss the casual banter that went on before, and I miss the many story threads we had going, but like any forum, the Pub keeps evolving, so in another year or two, who knows what it will be like? I plan to hang around to find out, even if I am involved in other things right now, more than I am in pirating—and that's largely due to logistics. No pirates where I live, but lots of SCA horse folks. So that's where me and my beasties do most of our playing these days.

That's why I'm sooo looking forward to NorCal. It's the only pirate event we do now, and the only time I get to hang with the Tales gang, crew on the schooner Aldebaran, and be piraty. :blink:

...schooners, islands, and maroons

and buccaneers and buried gold...

RAKEHELL-1.jpg

You can do everything right, strictly according to procedure, on the ocean, and it'll still kill you. But if you're a good navigator, a least you'll know where you were when you died.......From The Ship Killer by Justin Scott.

"Well, that's just maddeningly unhelpful."....Captain Jack Sparrow

Found in the Ruins — Unique Jewelry

Found in the Ruins — Personal Blog

Eye come here almost every day and look...

Eye don't post often unless a topic evokes humor or curiosity.

The Pub is still of great value to me as the Pub really are the people

Eye like to sail with or wish to sail with at wot events suit my fancy. >

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 3 weeks later...

Nice outfit, Fighting Fury. You should post larger pics in the You in yar garb. thread for everyone to comment on. :unsure:

Mission_banner5.JPG