Wheel lock ideas

Commodore Swab

Ok it looks like I will be taking flintlocks to the next level and working with wheel locks. I am getting a wheel lock for my birthday (pile of parts) and am going to build it into a piece. Its a smaller lock sutible for a pistol and I'm just looking for ideas . . .

id.jpg

do a wheel lock pistol and than do a converted to flint extra lock for the same pistol. It would expand the possible time frame of such pistol.

I have seen some wheel lock musket like that on Track of the Wolf. I think they were made by Leonard Day. But on a pistol it would be even cooler!

I'm pretty sure that this came up when I asked about some ideas for my best friend's wheelock awhile back. There were some fantastic images in that thread if memory serves me. I don't have much success at using the search function but I'm pretty sure that the thread is out there in cyberspace somewhere. :D

Somebody more lucky than me up to the task?

Bo

I found ahtread from another forum where I asked about wheelock ideas als. here are some of the images i came up with:

Not a pistol but I likey!!!

f2_full.jpg

2006AD0441.jpg

Here's alink with some cool stuff. check out the breechloading wheelock here:

http://collections.royalarmouries.org/index.php?a=wordsearch&s=gallery&w=wheellock&go=GO

...and my google image search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&biw=1575&bih=980&gbv=2&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=wheel+lock+pistol&btnG=Search&aq=f&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=

Hope this is a little help.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

There arte some awesome pistols in those images! From page 4 of the google image link:

peter_finer_paire_of_wheellock_pistols_12405579127114.jpg

Wouldn't it be grand to sport this pair around port!

I though I posted this one too but it didn't take the first time, so had to come back anmd try again:

BRUTUS_full_set.jpg

I know it's a matchlock, but What do ya think about something like this? B):D

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I 5hink they are about the same as any custom made gunne pricewise, it's the wait on having the lock made that is usually the kicker. Few folks doing it and long waiting lists for parts is what I've been hearing, but honestly don't know for certain as I haven't had the bucks to even inquire about it. My best friend has a complte working lock with key and pyrite I've been trying to get him to do something with for years. We are currently doing several projects together over the summer and I hope to either convince him to start playing again and build a gun, or trade it to me so I can!

Bo

Stuart is a good event. We will be there as well Commodore. We'll have to continue to make mischief again like we did in John's Pass.

-

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com