The Okie Story

As a gentleman of the golden coast of California, the only information I knew about Oklahoma was the song, "Okie from Muskogee." Through the years, I had heard the word "Okie" but I was not really familiar with the meaning. It did sound a bit derogatory to the native Oklahoman. Little did I know, I would eventually reside in Oklahoma. Ironically, I would only live about 30 minutes away from Muskogee. When I first started looking into buying a house, I would always ask the Realtors, "Does it have a basement?" The realtor would reply, "No? Do you need or want a basement?" I would sarcastically reply, "Ah yes, Tornado's!" The realtor would always laugh, "Those are few and far between. The house you are interested in was built in the 1990's. Still there." Well, I took his word for it and eventually purchased my home.....with no basement.

Through the past five years here in Oklahoma, I have seen huge downpours, constant lightning, heavy winds, and tons of snow. However, never saw a tornado. As a matter of fact, I would speak to many people born and raised in Oklahoma. Many of them had never seen a tornado. This is great news for the Californian who was just getting used to earthquakes.

Sadly, Joplin gets hit with a tornado. Joplin is only about 1.5 hours away. Pretty scary. Then yesterday, I watch the news and it looks like the wrath of tornado alley heading right for me. I jump in my car and race home to clear out my "under the stair case closet" just in case. I eventually sat down to monitor the news while I downed a huge margarita. As the storm was about to hit, I poured me another glass, opened the garage door, broke out the lawn chair and my camera. I filmed an "I-Report" bragging about how this Californian was watching and braving the weather. When I finished, I sat down sipping my Margarita and watching the beautiful, ominous clouds swirling and dancing high in the heavens. As I sat there with a good buzz, my neighbor walked out of his garage and shouts out to me with a smile saying, "Dude! You are such an Okie!" Nice.......

Do they allow transplants the honor of being called OKIE!?! That is cool! Most places, especially Mizzourah, don't allow transplants to assume the lcal titles of honor. Very clannish here that way. Heck, I'm a Missourah native but will nnever be accepted as anything but an outsider in this area. I was thinkin about looking for teaching jobs in OK., now I might consider it even more if they recognize transplants as family after awhile. Been here in this area since 1997, ran my own electrical business, helped build half the new additions to Warsaw business district, and still get treated like a tourist. :D

Bo

Bo, we're a bit less formal when handin' out the title of Okie... All it really takes is gettin' yer Oklahoma driver's license. That, and an ability to gripe about orange barrels everywhere...

Edited by CaptainB

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

One thing I had difficulty with was the deep south accent. When I once worked in retail, I had a man ask me for, "Cannon." I replied, "Cannon? what do you mean?" The man replied, "Ya know, Cannon!" I said, ""You mean cannon....ssssss bang, Cannon?" (Typical Pirate response) The man replied, "No. Apricots, peaches. blueberries,...jellies and jams. Cannon for preservatives. "Oh you mean Canning?" "Ah, yes sir cannon..." I am now educated...Welcome to Oklahoma!!

Deep south!?! :lol::lol::lol:

You ain't been to Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, or Georgia have you? ;)

If you think its thick in Oklahoma, you'll think you're on another continent when ya go down there and talk with the life-long back-country folk. I'm from Ozark Hillbilly country and I had trouble communicating down there the first few times I went. Ended up being married to a Georgia girl (my first wife) and that helped me a lot. Still had trouble understanding her dad and one of her brother-in-laws half the time. :D

Bo

One thing I had difficulty with was the deep south accent. When I once worked in retail, I had a man ask me for, "Cannon." I replied, "Cannon? what do you mean?" The man replied, "Ya know, Cannon!" I said, ""You mean cannon....ssssss bang, Cannon?" (Typical Pirate response) The man replied, "No. Apricots, peaches. blueberries,...jellies and jams. Cannon for preservatives. "Oh you mean Canning?" "Ah, yes sir cannon..." I am now educated...Welcome to Oklahoma!!

Well bless your heart! Just imagine, they're all having similar problems with your accent *G* You probably talk wayyy too fast. biggrin.gif

Mistress Dobyns

who has Okie family with tornado shelters in the back yard.

Born there, raised East, but always in the South. And no accent east of the Missippi (well, not unless I'm listening to Southern)

• 4 weeks later...

There's one thing that can be said about those who live in Tornado Alley... We are crazy! :) We know how to deal with Midwestern Hurricanes aka Tornadoes. Forget running for cover, we want to CHASE IT! We laugh and say "BRING IT ON!" as the Finger of God barrels towards us.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!