early 18th century Ticking

PoD

Does anyone have any descriptions or pictures of what early 18th century ticking fabric would look like? It's mentioned that the breeches and waistcoats in the 1706 admiralty slops contract are made of "Striped Ticking"

Would it have looked like this modern cotton ticking:

ticking-stripe-21.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Cotton from India, a multitude of different stripe colours and patterns but that pattern is one that turns up.

Remember to make sure it's a woven stripe not printed,( I got caught out once, made it into a tablecloth and a play pirate petticote for me Neice so it dint go to waste)

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Most likely the slop contract weskits were solid stripes, not variegated like the now "traditional" ticking pattern, as most sailors shown in striped weskits are wearing solid stripes.

Having said that, so far the earliest pics I have seen of that stripe pattern was 1680 in an English painting (a banyan) and 1712 in a Spanish painting (as a mattress). Then there's a 1740s painting that shows the same style stripe being used on yet another mattress, but the central wide-stripe is even wider than what is traditionally used.

Cheers,

Adam C.

There is also the painting "The Captain's Table" (?) that has been shared here (from Foxe's archives) which I think is period and shows at least two or three subjects wearing wide brown and natural stripes... which differs greatly from the blue and white stripes most often associated with ticken. Sorry I can't repost the image but it is hard to do from the pocket device... maybe someone at their home can repost it from their handy bookmarks

Michael_banner.jpg

BHC2567.jpg Is this the one you mean Mickey? I thought this was slightly later than our time frame, but not by much..

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

And for what its worth: Florence Montgomery's Textiles in America 1650-1870

"Ticking: Linen Twill. According to John Holker's manuscript(prepared about 1750), this material was used for the aprons worn by distillers, brewers, and waiters (swatch no. 31) Savary des Bruslons(Dictionnaire universel de commerce. 1723-30; 6th ed.,5 vols. Geneva: Les Freres Cramer & c. Philibert, 1750-65.) stated that army tents were made of ticking and that it served to enclose feathers in mattresses, bolsters, and pillows. Samples of blue and white and tan and white striped linen coutil, included in a letter from Lyons dated 1775, are in the collection of Colonial Williamsburg. Like so many other linen textiles, these were later made of cotton...." page 363

sorry nothing earlier in this book

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

• 5 weeks later...

THOSE SHOES!!! :::points to the picture of the gent wearing wooden shoes!::: I'll be damned! There's a pair with several pictures on he Facebook page of Littlebits Clothing Company. Well, I'll be. Brilliant! :)

Anyways... My suggestion... talk to Hazel Dickfoss with Wm Booth Draper. She's info on the ticken and sells it. :)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

If your looking for stripe patterns other than the standard mattress ticking try searching for French ticking, in the UK a very nice lady to talk to is http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Morgaine-Le-Fay-Antique-Textiles

She also has a shop down in deepest darkest Sussex

!B1lFpg!BGk~$(KGrHqIOKjYE)nlQuK2-BMfBd,rl(w~~_3.JPG

DSC_0663.JPG

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

• 5 weeks later...