Joplin Missouri / Oklahma Pyrates

I hope all our southwest Missouri and northwest Oklahoma bretheren and sisters are well tonight. Northwest missouri git it this wfternoon also. Northeast and north central Missouri is getting hammered right now too. We managed to stay between the two systems as they moved across. Just some heay rain and wierd skies for awhile here.

We are missing one of my cousins at the hospital in Joplin. She worked as an RN at St. Johns in Joplin, which was totally destroyed this afternoon. We hope for good news but for now we just don't know. I have not heard from my aunt in Joplin yet, but she was able to get a call to my mother in Arizona before the phone tower was overwhelmed with calls. Stay safe everyone, and keep a weather eye on the sky tonight and again tomorrow. we are to have more of the same.

Bo

I be jes' down the road Bo, an' rest assured that I be prayin fer all those sufferin' from these blasted storms. As a matter o' fact, a couple jes' popped up o'er head here.

Keep us advised my friend.

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

Just heard from my sister through the family phone relay that my cousin is safe and is at home with my aunt and her daughter. My aunt's husband is still missing his daughter and grandaughter though. Thanks for the kindness and support. Thos of you still in the path of these storms be wary. They are bad as I've seen and I've seen a few.

Bo

Latest figure I've seen is 89 dead, and there could be many more in the rubble.

The worst of the damage seems to be in an east-west corridor between 15th and 26th streets. 26th and Maiden Lane is where St. John's is, Academy Sports is between 15th and 20th on Range Line. The Dillon's, the high school, and the apartment complex on 20th Street are reported destroyed or heavily damaged. Freeman Hospital is still operating down on 32nd, so I guess that escaped the worst of the damage.

My cousin was on her way to her car in the parking lot of St. Johns when she saw the tornado coming. She was able to get back inside and into a stairwell and ride it out. My aunt's hous escaped major damage but just a feww houses away, there is major damage and complete destruction. No power in their neighborhood of course. I remember every tornado and microburst I have been in. Nothing makes you feel as helpless as sitting on your butt waiting for it to end, wondering how it's gonna turn out.

My thoughts are with those who have lost loved ones. It is a hard thing to wake up to everyday, this I know.

Bo

When I woke up this morning, I was shocked to watch the morning news. I saw footage of a woman lying in the ruins of what used to be her home crying uncontrollably and lying on top of her dead loved one covered in a white blanket. It made me cry myself. I am a Red Cross Instructor and I wanted to drive to Joplin (1.5 hours away) to help in anyway I could.

I am planning to go down and volunteer my services wherever needed. I have relatives that are going to put me up and there is much to be done. I am unemployed anyhow and there is need of electircal and construction experience I'm sure. I may be skipping that trip to Fort deChartres after all. If that happens I'll have to send the stuff over with someone else. It just seems like I am being called to do something here and I cannot ignore this feeling.

Bo

Local update from Oklahoma:

Multiple Tornadoes have struck Central and Eastern Oklahoma. Only 7 confirmed dead at this time. Last I saw, Joplin was under the gun again for storms. NOT what those poor souls need at this time.

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

I am planning to go down and volunteer my services wherever needed. I have relatives that are going to put me up and there is much to be done. I am unemployed anyhow and there is need of electircal and construction experience I'm sure. I may be skipping that trip to Fort deChartres after all. If that happens I'll have to send the stuff over with someone else. It just seems like I am being called to do something here and I cannot ignore this feeling.

Bo

Bo -

You the man! God bless your efforts in helping these folks.

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Bo, we will be traveling down that way this week, then down to TX. I will be roaming or using my beau's phone. I might try to see if you are ok down there.. my thoughts and prayers go to all our brethern and not, after this horrific storm. Also pray that our trip is safe and sound.. going to meet up with Black syren in Austin!

Pirate Lass with sass, brass, a cutlass, an a nice *ss. Capt of the FOOLS GOLD PIRATES

BLAST BREAST CANCER! GET A MAMMOGRAM AND SAVE YOUR TREASURED CHEST:

http://www.myspace.c...iratesthinkpink

http://www.myspace.c...oolsgoldpirates

CAPT OF THE ONLY PYRITE SHIP AFLOAT: THE FOOL'S GOLD- look for us and Captain Merrydeath on facebook!

merrydeathsigsmall.jpg

What a wild day this has been. I was going to Sedalia to pick-up books for my son's summer classes at the community college before I left for Joplin. Guess what I ran into?

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110525/NEWS11/110525029/Officials-assessing-damage-Sedalia-after-Tornado-injures-least-15?odyssey=mod|mostview

So this happened just as i was approaching from the south on 65 hwy, and the Highway patrol turned me arouund about a mile south of the city limits. here were tree branches and debris on the road there.

On my way back home to prepare to leave for Joplin my aunt called to tell me that they are overwhelmed with volunteers and are not issuing any more permits to volunteers in order to restrict access to the area for emergency personnel to do their thing. Totally understandable.

http://www.news-leader.com/article/20110525/NEWS11/110525019/More-tornados-Missouri-Joplin-continues-recovery-efforts?odyssey=mod_sectionstories

So, as I am putting my tools waya, the sirens in the two towns closest to me start going off and we get slammed by heavy rain wind and the whole show again.. A tornado went south of us and we were under warning for a couple of hours again. we are expecting another round as the system is hovering over kansas City area and spreading out from there. Right now the sun is shining and the birds are singing. Ten minutes ago I had to turn the lights on and it wasraining hard. I guess I'll stay-put till I hear from the red cross volunteer organizers. At any rate the trip was a bust. Sounds like I may be working closer to home before long.

Dang what weird weather pattern we are having this year!

Bo

Joplin is still overwhelmed with volunteers and donations. My cousin is doing better and went right back to work in the temporary hospital. I was told that there is more than enough help at this point, so I guess they don't need me after all.

I drove through Sedalia yesterday to complete my mission of getting books. The damage there is nothing like Joplin, but they got slammed pretty good just the same. The gas station/truckstop I used to always get gas and coffee at while going to the college and university is wiped out. There was a trailer park I didn't even know existed behind the businesses on 65 hwy. Well, "was" is the key word here. The motorcycle shop where I have my vintage KZ750 for sale looked like it was OK, but there were three holes in the roof where debris was dropped from the sky and fell through. The traffic was bad and only one lane open while crews worked to clear debris and restore power lines and phone service, so I did not stop to check, but with my luck, my bike was probably stting directly under one of those holes and is probably the only one damaged. Probably has a bus engine sitting on top of it. (I don't know that, just figuring on my usual run of bad luck B) )

Anyhow, It sounds like I will not be travelling to Joplin after all unless I am needed.

Bo