PotC 4

I got a sneak viewing of the movie last night. It was good. better then 2 and 3. It drug on a little long and they butchered Blackbeard...Ian McShane did fine but they should have stayed away from the historical pirate...Even the flag was wrong.

All in all the movie was fun. Go see it. Have a blast. IMHO the first 20 mins in London were the best.

I for one am already looking for a Mermaid to call my own!

-1st Mate of Pirates Magazine

-Bladesmith/Owner of That Works Studio

http://youtube.com/thatworks

thatworks.shop

I really enjoyed the movie. I was apprehensive going in to see it for fear it would suck, but I have to say it was great. It's probably my 2nd favorite film of the series (but in a close race with PotC 2). I'm not going to post any spoilers on here, but here are my pros and cons...and the pros really did outweigh my few gripes.

PROS:

1) A NEW STORY - Yeah, I know it's ripped from a Tim Powers book. But it was refreshing to see a new story that didn't require me to remember what happened in the past 2 films. It was a solid movie that stood alone from the others.

2) NEW CHARACTERS - Don't get me wrong, I like Will Turner and Elizabeth Swann. However, it was nice to watch new characters interact without seeing crew members chase their eyeballs around deck, or make midget jokes. I thought Penelope Cruz did an outstanding job (you can't tell she was pregnant) and I actually liked the Spaniards.

3) DIRECTING - I was very worried the transition from Gore Verbinski to Robb Marshall wouldn't work, but it did. The movie felt like any other PotC movie. The movie did seem a little darker and more serious at times, but all-in-all it felt like a solid transition.

4) MERMAIDS - I honestly thought the mermaids would destroy the film and be a joke to the franchise. I was proven wrong.

5) JACK SPARROW - Without any major hang-ups (other than a love interest), Jack is actually doing what he does best--pirating. And it's really good to see him likeable again and demonstrating that he's actually a pretty good trickster. He was more of a hero in this movie than in the past 2 films.

6) QUEEN ANNE'S REVENGE - I want this ship. No, it's not historically accurate. (Matt's right, the flag is incorrect.) But it's still pretty baddass.

NEUTRAL:

1) Ian McShane as Blackbeard - After the first few lines he delivered, I realized he was playing the role of Blackbeard as...Ian McShane. I was hoping for a little bit of piratey flair, rather than Al Swearengin from Deadwood. This might be considered a con, but you know what? I really like Ian McShane. So it's a wash.

2) Not much high seas piracy - The majority of the film took place on land, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. It's just odd to finally see a movie that felt more like Indiana Jones than Pirates of the Caribbean in regards to the location.

3) The Fountain of Youth - I felt this was definitely one of those movies where the journey was much better than the destination. Never did I say to myself, "Man! I can't wait til they find the fountain!"

CONS:

1) The Zombies - It's not that the zombies were bad. It's just that they weren't fully explained, and they didn't serve much of a purpose.

2) Magic - Blackbeard's connection to voodoo/magic didn't seem to have much of a back story, which I would have liked them to expand upon.

3) The Funny - I didn't think the movie was as humorous as the others (or maybe the jokes didn't go over as well with me as I hoped), but whatever. It still rocked.

I really think this movie will be enjoyed by the majority of pirate fans out there. Was it better than the first one? No, but few sequels ever are. It is, however, enjoyable and a worthy PotC film.

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

It's hard to be critical when I'm so fond of the subject matter. I really loved every minute of it. But here's my winner/loser list:

Winners:

1. Mermaids. They were a bit more vicious than I was expecting. I've always imagined mermaids as more seductive and less hissing vampire-ish, but they still kicked fin.

2. Jack and Barbossa. Same as it ever was. The boys were back in town.

3. Ian McShane. I'm not completely sold on why Blackbeard had to be there with all these fantasy characters, but he was an excellent Blackbeard.

Losers:

1. Zombies. Those weren't zombies. Period. That was a cheap marketing trick to cash in on the zombie craze.

2. Penelope Cruz. She didn't suck, but I don't need to see her again.

3. Wow. I can't think of a 3rd loser. Mostly I was just disappointed in the zombies.

OK, I'm going to get some sleep and then see who wants to go to the movies with me again tomorrow night.

Now seen it I have to say it definitely was better than 2 and 3.

I didn't like the change in flags. I did like that they did try to do zombies the correct way (a man reanimated under the direct control of a bocor) and not the hollywood way (brain addicted flesh eater).

smythesig-2.jpg

I did like that they did try to do zombies the correct way (a man reanimated under the direct control of a bocor) and not the hollywood way (brain addicted flesh eater).

Well, that may be, but I guess I didn't find them any more interesting or threatening than any other big thug. But you are right -- it would have been much worse to have them stumbling about moaning "brains...brains..."

well,

i'm afraid the lack of sleep got me. We had been on site since noon and the chair was mighty comfortable at 0001 hrs. I made it to somewhere around blackbeard coming on deck then nodded off.

Brains...

*Brains*...

**Rum** and brains...

Rum...

I did like that they did try to do zombies the correct way (a man reanimated under the direct control of a bocor) and not the hollywood way (brain addicted flesh eater).

Well, that may be, but I guess I didn't find them any more interesting or threatening than any other big thug. But you are right -- it would have been much worse to have them stumbling about moaning "brains...brains..."

Damn, thats sharp!

Just saw the movie today. Not a great movie, there were things about which to quibble (shouldn't Fat George have a bit more of a German accent?), and Blackbeard could have been more sinister, but it was fun and enjoyable. Plus I got to see me first 3-D movie, altho those specs put a strain on these ol' deadlights, ye may lay to that.

I noted an "echo" of the end of the first movie at the end of this one, that's not been remarked on as yet. In this first movie, Anna Maria places the coat over Jack's shoulders as he takes the wheel of the re-acquired Black Pearl. Sort of...coronation-like, I thought. Now, this new one, "Boy" hands Barbossa his hat, as twere a crown...another coronation? And Barbossa uses the same gesture as he takes over the wheel. And could there be a father and (adopted) son relationship between the two? Something I'd like to see explored further, but likely never will, alas...

Damn, thats sharp!

Saw it last night in 3D. Last movie I'll ever watch in 3D. I need to go see it again without the 3D distractions. Too hard on the eyes.

For the movie itself, only two complaints. Blackbeard was way underplayed. I know Ian McShane can do a better job of being a villain than that, so I have to wonder what held him back. the character was underdeveloped, too. Second complaint was Barbossa's makeup. He looked like a leper or a survivor of Chernobyl. I'm hoping that was more the 3D effect that the actual makeup job.

Other than that, it was pretty good. A bit more serious than the last two.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I would have to agree with Matt Stagmer, the London scenes in the begining was the best part of the movie. i didnt like all the changes in this sequal, Disney should get Gore back to direct the next 2 movies (5 & 6), and Disney should consider branging back Pintel, Ragetti, Will Turner, Elizabeth Swann,Cotton and Cottons parrot, Marty, Giselle, Scarlet, Mullroy & Murtogg and the Prison Dog. Blackbeard was so off he should have been taller and Disney should have used the correct flag also. I thought the mermaids were going to be bad, but actually they were really good and hot looking. i saw it in the Non 3-D edition, i will go back and compare the 3-D to see it that way too. On a scale 1-10 i give it 7 1/2. i feel the 3rd sequal was best as it explained alot about the first 2 movies (Davy Jones) and the ship battle was sweet!

Although I have some problems with pacing and character development...I would've liked it to slow down a bit and give us some backstory!

Overall-

I LIKED it!

My biggest disappointment was probably the music.I would have liked something a bit more fresh..I think we only got one new thematic piece, and the rest was a rehash, including some parts which to me were evocative of characters in the first 3 movies, like Will.

However- I REALLY liked Scrum..nice having a shanty man aboard.

BuccaneersBanner2012.jpg

Ye may log me agreement regarding Scrum...a likable bloke

Although I have some problems with pacing and character development...I would've liked it to slow down a bit and give us some backstory!

Overall-

I LIKED it!

My biggest disappointment was probably the music.I would have liked something a bit more fresh..I think we only got one new thematic piece, and the rest was a rehash, including some parts which to me were evocative of characters in the first 3 movies, like Will.

However- I REALLY liked Scrum..nice having a shanty man aboard.

Edited by Capn Bob

Damn, thats sharp!

I saw it with Kate and Michael Bagley last night (They were up in Toledo so we went out for dinner and then saw the movie.)

There were so many underdeveloped characters that looked like they might have been more interesting had they been given backstory and screen time - the preacher, the zombies, Blackbeard himself, the young kid on the crew they kept showing and then ignoring, the old man who knew about the mermaids, the Spanish captain...particularly the Spanish captain. His brief bits of screen time were terrific IMO. (And that's saying something when Depp, Cruz and Rush are out there chewing up most of the scenery.) Plus it's rare the Spaniards aren't portrayed as complete and utter villains in a GAoP pirate era movie. I'll bet the book would prove to be a bit more cohesive and less distracting than what wound up on the screen if the writer did a good job of it. (Haven't read it, not really inclined to at this point.)

I agree the mermaids were well-done. I thought McShane was OK as BB; his problem was that he had to compete with several other actors who were completely off-the-charts. Plus the movie really sagged in the middle third. I found it dull and would have much preferred them to do some character development on the people I mentioned above rather than giving us the mutiny, hacking through the jungle and dancing about on de Leon's ship. (Or at least combined the character development with those scenes.)

I second the complaint about the music. I bought the score movie unseen and advise against it. Most of the orchestral stuff is a rehash with the exception of BBs theme and a guitar theme for Angelica. About half of it is electronica...like something from the 90s. Very strange. There are also a few DJ mix things in there that are...well...yuck.

If I were writing this, I think I'd have focused primarily on Barbossa beginning with his battle with Blackbeard or (if it came first in the writer's mind), the way he became a privateer and then proceeding to the battle followed by his return to London. Then I'd follow him with Sparrow popping in when he was needed. (I'd have scrapped the parts with Jack and the judge and the King entirely. It was rather pointless, except as a way to show what a trickster Jack is. (Yes, we know that one.)) But I guess they can't really do that with Depp being the star, can they? It's kind of funny because I really like Jack and have always thought Barbossa should have been killed off in the first movie. Still, looking at the it, this story really should have been his IMHO.

My overall impression was 2.5 stars out of 5, leaning towards a weak 3. At least they didn't use the electronica junk in the movie that I noticed. Then it would be leaning towards a 2.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'll bet the book would prove to be a bit more cohesive and less distracting than what wound up on the screen if the writer did a good job of it. (Haven't read it, not really inclined to at this point.)

Careful words there mate. The book is excellent, but the movie has nothing to do with the book other than Blackbeard and the fountain of youth. I suggest picking it up. I went into the movie having read it knowing that Disney only wanted the name and to use those two elements. The book and the movie are not even close to each other. If you want fleshed out it was really good at laying out backgrounds here and there but not disrupting the story.

Edited by James Smythe
smythesig-2.jpg

If that's the case, then I agree with Red Bess...why have him in there at all? Any pirate captain would have been just as good and then they wouldn't have to buy the rights to the book and confuse/upset everyone who liked it. (It was probably a nice boost for the book's sales though.) I'm still not inclined to read it, not because of the movie, but because I don't read much fiction. If the movie had been really good, I might have picked it up just to see how it compared.

Wow...I wonder how much material was left off the screen to keep the movie at a reasonable time? So much could have been done with those other characters... Now I think they really should have focused on Barbossa. (C'mon you must have wanted to see the battle they left out.)

Oh, forgot to mention that there was another indirect reference to people who re-enact Jack Sparrow. I wonder if that's intentional or subconscious?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'd wish that PoTC5 would be the missing middle years between 3 and 4. The Barbossa/Blackbeard situation, how Gibbs got arrested as Sparrow, how the Pearl would up in a bottle- There's way too much missing.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I'd wish that PoTC5 would be the missing middle years between 3 and 4. The Barbossa/Blackbeard situation, how Gibbs got arrested as Sparrow, how the Pearl would up in a bottle- There's way too much missing.

Hawkyns

That's why we buy Blue Ray / DVDs mate. Maybe they'll have all those extra features and deleted scenes. Or, perhaps they'll just show us some more clips of the monkey...

"I like nachos. Mermaid nachos."

The Seabeaver - Official Website

Facebook

MySpace

Twitter

banner2.gif

Saw it last night in 3D. Last movie I'll ever watch in 3D. I need to go see it again without the 3D distractions.

I took off of work and went and saw it in 3d Friday during a morning show, then took the whole family to see it on Sunday, in 2d. I actually liked it better in 2d than in 3.

Overall... it was ok. I think I'll place it third, after 1 and 3, but before 2. I thought it had some great moments, and if I was going to run a pirate roleplaying game there's a ton of ideas to mine, but the film as a whole never really grabbed me. And Penelope Cruz, as nice as she is to look at, didn't wow me. McShane's Blackbeard... you know... if they told him to "act like an old Blackbeard who is tired and feels like his life has come to an end", he nailed it.

I dug the mermaids. In fact, for me it would have been a better film if they had concentrated on the love between the mermaid and the priest. That part of the story grabbed my interest more than the Depp/Cruz story did.

WHAT THE HELL DID THAT SCRIM/SCRUM(?) GUY HAVE ON HIS HEAD?!?!? Ugh.

Ships in bottles. Priceless!

Sparrow falling down as he exits the jungle and hacking away at the plants was also priceless!

Voodoo doll! Ha!

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

McShane's Blackbeard... you know... if they told him to "act like an old Blackbeard who is tired and feels like his life has come to an end", he nailed it.

I found it funny that they

mentioned a certain battle between a certain Ed Teach and a certain Lt.

I think that may have been a concept taken from the book but in the wrong order.

Sorry I tried to word it in a way to avoid spoilerage.

smythesig-2.jpg

If that's the case, then I agree with Red Bess...why have him in there at all? Any pirate captain would have been just as good and then they wouldn't have to buy the rights to the book and confuse/upset everyone who liked it. (It was probably a nice boost for the book's sales though.) I'm still not inclined to read it, not because of the movie, but because I don't read much fiction. If the movie had been really good, I might have picked it up just to see how it compared.

Don't bother. I read the book some years ago, after a bunch of people I know in the gaming world went on and on about how good it was. It was ok, but not up to the level I expected. There were a few cases of "uh, that's not how that works, you should have done more research." That being said, it's a shame they didn't actually make the book into a film, because the book is better than PotC4.

My Home on the Web

Don't bother. I read the book some years ago, after a bunch of people I know in the gaming world went on and on about how good it was. It was ok, but not up to the level I expected. There were a few cases of "uh, that's not how that works, you should have done more research." That being said, it's a shame they didn't actually make the book into a film, because the book is better than PotC4.

Well, that seals it. If it didn't work for you it will almost certainly not work for me.

Speaking of, "uh, that's not how that works", there were at least three times I asked Kate Bagley (who had the misfortune of sitting next to me in the theater), "How did Jack do that? It's impossible!" She promptly replied (three times), "He's Captain Jack Sparrow!" ...with just the right intonation.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Speaking of, "uh, that's not how that works", there were at least three times I asked Kate Bagley (who had the misfortune of sitting next to me in the theater), "How did Jack do that? It's impossible!" She promptly replied (three times), "He's Captain Jack Sparrow!" ...with just the right intonation.

Which, in my opinion, is the correct answer for any of those films. He's a madcap adventurer, and thus, like Bugs Bunny, not subject to the laws of physics.

In the book it was more mundane type stuff, e.g., mentioning a ship's wheel on a ship that would have had a tiller, something along those lines. It happened a couple times, enough to be a minor annoyance.

My Home on the Web

But, . . .

To Hollywood mentality, "EVERY" pirate boat has a wheel. That's from ship to schooner, to sloop, to anything above a rowboat.

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg