What problems do you have with your flintlock?

Commodore Swab

Just wondering what some of the problems you have with your flintlocks.  

8 members have voted

1. 1. What problems do you have with your flintlock?

• My flintlock fires but I need to wipe and clean the frizzen every few shots
    • My flintlock only fires if everything is good and clean with a good flint
    • My flintlock fires but the frizzen doesn't kick foreward all the way
    • My flintlock will barely stay or won't stay on half cock
    • My flintlock ignites the pan but doesnt fire
    • My flintlock won't stay on full cock
    • My flintlock doesn't make enough noise
    • My ramrod is loose and always falls out
    • My flintlock drops powder out of the pan when its closed
    • My flintlock doesnt spark at all
    • I have no problems, my flintlock goes off everytime without a problem
    • My flintlock has a problem not mentioned
  2. 2. How many shots do you typically get before a flint doesn't spark any more

• 1-5
    • 5-15
    • 15-50
    • 50-100
    • 100+

That's a good question. After seeing your silky smooth lock and timing, I was aghast. Mine has pretty poor timing and I had no idea that you could fix something like that. I think my guns are going to have to go to Key Largo for a vacation so you can smooth the action out and fix the timing. I think that's the biggest problem I have with misfires. The Indian guns so need a good smoothing out.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

For many years I carried a matching pair of Pedersoli harpers ferry pistols. I thought they were in good working order until I traded one to Swab. Recently i saw the gun again after he had tuned it up, I was able to compare the two exact guns side by side, my stock pistol averaged 5 or 6 shots then i had to wipe my frizzen and knap my flint a little. i was completely blown away to see the "Swabbed" gun fire 21 times without cleaning the frizzen or touching the flint. Needless to say he is currently tuning up my existing pistol.

My hats off to ya Swab, your a friggin Lock Star in my book!

As fer the rest of ya, I highly suggest getting your gun "Swabbed"!

Edited by Cannibal Chrispy

Illustration courtesy of Patrick Hand, and his Pyrate Comix. To see comic in it's entirety, click below

http://pyracy.com/index.php?showtopic=13374 All rights reserved.

For those of you that might be travelling to the pirate fest at Punta Gorda this year

http://www.fishermensvillagepiratefest.com/

I will be there and will be bringing equipment to tune/fix flintlocks. If there is anyone thinking about going this is an excellent oppurtunity to bring your piece to have it worked on. I will be taking reservations for those of you who are interested.

id.jpg

I had to put in three different answers to cover the five different locks I have... that said, I tend to be handy enough to tackles some of the easier issues... next time I hit something beyond my very modest skills, i'll keep you in mind Swab.

Michael_banner.jpg

I'd really love to learn how to tune the locks.

Did you learn from someone or figure it out on your own?

Was there documentation that you learned from?

Mostly just curious as I haven't started researching how to tune a lock yet.

thanks

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

It seems that over twenty years of living history I have owned a flintlock that fits in almost every catagory(some where bought frome someone that did not know how to fix them). I am a self professed cheap skate so I have had to learn to make repairs and adjustments to my locks over time. At one event I am the resident flint lock mechanic, I love to see the look on peoples faces when their gun fires after minor adjustments usualy done on the fly in a battle senario.

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

It has been partly history, partly old timers, partly reading and a lot of experience for myself. Currently I am working on a friends cheap Jap tower pistol with an unbridled frizzen and I am up to over 50 firings on the same flint with no knapping just a simple cleaning when it gets loaded up.

id.jpg

Thats why I left it open to select multiple answers, did you have a problem not listed?

Nope the two problem ones I have fit nicely into categories that were listed. One of the problematic ones is a problem I know how to fix, but just haven'y found the time for it yet, the other "problem child" I understand in theory how to fix it, but falls into the category of don't want to risk fixing it myself... Just in case.

Michael_banner.jpg