I suppose I am a bit naive and ignorant. Since I am originally from Southern California, I had never been in Oklahoma until I moved here about six years ago. Before I came here, I had the perception that Oklahoma was barren and teepees lined the street. Actually, it was not that bad. However, I have always wanted to purchase an honest to goodness bottle of authentic deep south moonshine. It now appears this is becoming non-existent. From what I am hearing now, most modern "moonshining" generations are selling Meth and guns. So, Back to my dilemma. I have been wanting to buy moonshine, but I eventually gave up. The closest I have come to it was folks who make the well-known "apple pie." So, does anyone know how to make this stuff?

As far as a tutorial, look up "Popcorn Sutton" and see if there is a way to watch the documentary on him. There was a documentary out there that showed him doing a run. Also look up the Foxfire books, there was one book that covered it as well. Good luck, I think you might have a problem looking for it online.......people get spooked pretty quick...

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Over the counter, there are several legal versions. "Midnight Moon" is a high-end one, while "Georgia Moon" is a corny-flavored "hard-bite-back" one. Both are pretty "authentic" for different style moonshine. There is also several Virginia-distilled one, mainly from one distillery (forget the name).

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

*wait a sec- just reread this. you cannot legally buy moonshine and it's not in the pubs best interest to publish a how to. this topic doesn't warrant shutting down, but please be mindful of this when posting replies to this thread. now a discussion on period brewing and distilling would be of interest.

*wait a sec- just reread this. you cannot legally buy moonshine and it's not in the pubs best interest to publish a how to. this topic doesn't warrant shutting down, but please be mindful of this when posting replies to this thread. now a discussion on period brewing and distilling would be of interest.

Good point Dutchman. I do apologize for opening a can o' worms. I suppose trouble can brew once you get a bunch of modern day pirates talking about things such as this. To Jack and Wes, I do thank you for the advice. I will check up on it.

See, the real problem is that you're classifying Oklahoma as the deep south....you've got about another 12 hours of driving eastward until you start getting into good moonshine country. I'll let others debate over which region produces the best shine (though these days Virginia gets the most publicity).

As for making the stuff, well I won't go into any details, but if you're just looking for good general info then PBS did an awesome documentary on the process. They filmed an old shiner making the last batch in his lifetime and talking about the process....including comparing what he was doing with how his grand-daddy used to do it back in the day. I can't remember the name of it, but if you contacted PBS they could probably hook you up with a VHS. It's an enjoyable documentary whether you are into making shine or not.

-Adam C.

I did my paramedic rotations in part of Franklin co., Virginia- the moonshine capitol of america. I have no idea how they came by the title or what validated it, but darned if there wasn't a lot of it and i understand it was good. especially the peach.

See, the real problem is that you're classifying Oklahoma as the deep south....you've got about another 12 hours of driving eastward until you start getting into good moonshine country. I'll let others debate over which region produces the best shine (though these days Virginia gets the most publicity).

As for making the stuff, well I won't go into any details, but if you're just looking for good general info then PBS did an awesome documentary on the process. They filmed an old shiner making the last batch in his lifetime and talking about the process....including comparing what he was doing with how his grand-daddy used to do it back in the day. I can't remember the name of it, but if you contacted PBS they could probably hook you up with a VHS. It's an enjoyable documentary whether you are into making shine or not.

-Adam C.

While the deep south might have a more popularly recognized history of moonshine making, I wouldn't put Oklahoma off the map for this. Until the late 1950's it was a dry state, with prohibition written into the state's constitution, iirc. So of course there were people coming up with ways to make the stuff, smuggle the stuff, any way they could for a while, at least. It was kind of a joke. My family is from that part of the world and one grandmother met her future husband when she ran a cafe that served beer just over the line in Texas. It was a very busy place biggrin.gif

You'd need to find someone who was a mature adult in OK before the repeal mid/late 1950's who might remember this, try visiting senior centers and nursing homes wink.gif

Jen

Thanks.

That's the Virginia one I was thinking of.

Here are the 2 mentioned earlier:

http://www.juniorsmidnightmoon.com

Oddly, I can't find Georgia Moon's home site.

So, here's reviews of Georgia Moon: http://www.procyon.com/~froody/why/su/moon.html http://www.grainmash.com/?p=297 http://www.liquorsnob.com/archives/2005/11/georgia_moon_corn_whiskey_review.php http://americanhooch.com/2008/09/01/shine-on-georgia-moon-corn-whiskey/

(found through google/yahoo)

Like I said, there are several "versions" of moonshine, legal, illegal, and quasi-legal (plus, home distiller w/ a license to distill, but not legal to sell). Those three reflect different styles, all based on the "real stuff." Additionally, there are a vast range of unique variations as the distillers added fruit, raisins, and other flavors to either the mash or distilled product (or both). My absolute favorite alcohol, period, is a home-licensed person in South Carolina that makes peach-shine. It is simply amazing stuff. Too bad he lives far enough away from me that it is hard to get some.

Apple-shine comes in 2 versions:

1) Apples are part of the mash itself

2) Apple cider is mixed with shine

"Apple Pie," at least the versions I've seen, is usually the second of these. Sometimes vodka or a grain alcohol is substituted real moonshine.

Heah, Bright added the 2 lower links while I was creating the above post . . .

I was referencing http://www.moonshine.com/ as the VA one.

Also, the folks that make Midnight Moon also make one called "Catdaddy," which has a STRONG nutmeg flavor. It's too much nutmeg for me straight, but a good mixer. It has an awesome bottle, though, designed to resemble a "Classic" earthen brown jug:

Piedmont-Distillers-Catdaddy-Moonshine-Micro-Liquor.jpg

http://www.catdaddymoonshine.com

Edit:

Midnight Moon and Catdaddy are made by Piedmont Distillers: http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/

It is based out of Madison, NC, in the northern part of the Western North Carolina, Blue Ridge Foothills. That area was a MAJOR home of moonshining "back-in-the-day," esp. in nearby Wilkesboro, NC (1.5 hours apart, east-west w/ Wilkesboro to the west).

Edited by Tartan Jack

-Adam C.

While the deep south might have a more popularly recognized history of moonshine making, I wouldn't put Oklahoma off the map for this. Until the late 1950's it was a dry state, with prohibition written into the state's constitution, iirc. So of course there were people coming up with ways to make the stuff, smuggle the stuff, any way they could for a while, at least. It was kind of a joke. My family is from that part of the world and one grandmother met her future husband when she ran a cafe that served beer just over the line in Texas. It was a very busy place biggrin.gif

You'd need to find someone who was a mature adult in OK before the repeal mid/late 1950's who might remember this, try visiting senior centers and nursing homes wink.gif

Jen

I understand what you mean Adam. Is Oklahoma the deep south? No. But being a Californian, this is definitely the south. The things I still do not understand is A) Why do people put peanuts in their Pepsi or Coke? and :angry: How can anyone hunt Squirrel and actually eat the darn things? Jen, thank you for your knowledge. Well spoken!

Heah, Bright added the 2 lower links while I was creating the above post . . .

I was referencing http://www.moonshine.com/ as the VA one.

Also, the folks that make Midnight Moon also make one called "Catdaddy," which has a STRONG nutmeg flavor. It's too much nutmeg for me straight, but a good mixer. It has an awesome bottle, though, designed to resemble a "Classic" earthen brown jug:

Piedmont-Distillers-Catdaddy-Moonshine-Micro-Liquor.jpg

http://www.catdaddymoonshine.com

Edit:

Midnight Moon and Catdaddy are made by Piedmont Distillers: http://www.piedmontdistillers.com/

It is based out of Madison, NC, in the northern part of the Western North Carolina, Blue Ridge Foothills. That area was a MAJOR home of moonshining "back-in-the-day," esp. in nearby Wilkesboro, NC (1.5 hours apart, east-west w/ Wilkesboro to the west).

Excellent information with your two posts Tartan Jack. These actually appeal to me more since they have been regulated and bottled professionally. I recently heard of a moonshine distillery on a local cable program. Apparently a pig or dog jumped up into the vat to get some moonshine. It fell in and drowned. The moonshiner arrives a few hours later, pulls out the carcass and calls it good. Nothing but a little fermenting of a pigs bodily fluids to add some more spice to the drink don't you think? Yum!

I understand what you mean Adam. Is Oklahoma the deep south? No. But being a Californian, this is definitely the south. The things I still do not understand is A) Why do people put peanuts in their Pepsi or Coke? and B) How can anyone hunt Squirrel and actually eat the darn things? Jen, thank you for your knowledge. Well spoken!

A- Habit....

B-Because they're not just cute, but tasty...just wish there was more meat on them...

-Adam