whats on his legs

Dutchman

Is he stilt-walking? He looks disproportionately tall in comparison to the others, kinda like the old stilt-walking clowns of the circus. :D

As far as the leggins...??? What are they working on? are those hides beings de-haired and stacked or something else? Hard to say whay they would use leggins and not aprons as well. Interesting image. What else can you tell us about it?

sorry-more questions than answers.

Bo

cross- had em' got splinters. need to get a new pair sometime.

bo- these are french fishermen off novascotia around 1680-1700. they are salting fish. while the industry is pretty well explained the clothing isn't. i'm not near the books, but first of he week i'll get a better explination of what they are doing. There is another drawing (in the fishermans hat thread i started a while back) that has aprons. they are also standing in barrels to stay clean and keep their balance while onboard ship.

Oh damn, I just saw this picture sometime this week on the internet and I sure as hell can't remember why it came up as I was studying bills of lading along with the crossed letters... UM... I want to say it was related to the early photograph, 1902 regarding whalers... the photograph showed someone wearing something similar and they said it was to protect their clothing from the mess of cutting up the blubber... where did you find the illustration..?

rather reminds me of the sleeve protectors that clerks used to wear to protect their white shirt cuffs and sleeves from ink stains, etc...

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

He's wearing shorts and has dropsical legs.

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” -Oscar Wilde

"If we all worked on the assumption that what is accepted is really true, there would be little hope of advance." -Orville Wright

gallery_1929_23_24448.jpg

It's from the same set as the chaps gutting fish stood in barrels, but which flipping forum that was on evades me, think it was here or ukpirate'.

Looks to me like badly drawn trews/slops under an apron with a sleeved waistcoat over that.

He also looks like he's midway through this song,

I'm a little teapot short and stout

Here's my handle, here's my spout

When I see a teacup hear me shout

Tip me up and pour me out

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Definitely a Dutch fop showing off his new over-the-trews stockings. :D

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

its a long discussion, you may want to register and have a look on the 17th century boad at frontier folk...a couple of people have posted info on doing a dutch fisherman impression....more than one thread would be of service to you!

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel