Powder Keg projects

I have these little kegs I've collected from the flea-markets, and have thought about converting them into small kegs for musket powder. have the willow growing in my pond to replace the bands with. What do the folks here think of this idea? Should I do all three or just the little one and leave the wine-casks as they are? They are very well made, tight. Maybe I'll replace the bands and leave them for rum and spirits? Suggestions? I cannot decide.

kegs003.jpg

kegs002.jpg

kegs001.jpg

Bo

Do the small one first and see how it turns out. I am in the process of doing some powder barrels myself. I just need to get the Willow to put around mine then they should be done

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

There is willow growing all over some of the areas I patrol...I wonder how hard it would be to ship? Longer branches in a mailing tube? Think they would dry out?

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

I'd leave 'em as is if they're good and tight. Spirit or water kegs are good. If you want willow bands try to scrounge an old nail keg to experiment on.

Hummmm... I asked this question a while back with only an FFg, FFFg, etc. answer. How would the kegs have been labeled as containing powder and its grade?

Any thoughts.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

I already have the willow growing in my pond. Here are some examples of originals:

86141.jpg

As far as marking for the size grains, I only know that the kegs were marked "cannon," "musket," and "fine" up until sometime in the mid-late 18th century when the 'X' system came into use by military; one 'X' being cannon, 'XX' being musket etc. The only place I have actually seen this 'X' system referred to is at the USS Constitution historic site, so take that with a grain of salt. I'll try and find the site for that and post it here as well.

Bo

Here's the one that I'm using to base the projects after.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thing?.out=jpg&size=l&tid=29815342 (won't let me imbed this image for some reason)

The reason for changing to wooden bands is because that is how the originals were made, and the cheesy copper bands are not tight and look like crap. ;)

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I'd leave them, why make more work for yourself. now with that out of the way. I have a couple of barrels and buckets that the rings have been lost/broken and i need to replace them. I have plenty of willow, but have no idea how to do it. can someone offer a tutorial?

I'd leave them, why make more work for yourself. now with that out of the way. I have a couple of barrels and buckets that the rings have been lost/broken and i need to replace them. I have plenty of willow, but have no idea how to do it. can someone offer a tutorial?

Oi Dutch, might want to run over to Jamestown, or ask Cross to go... last time there, a lot of the barrels had willow hoops...bet they could give you a lesson, either that or just a good photograph will spell it out

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

Bo, I would convert the small one as you stated, and just leave the other two as wine casks...they are nice just the way they are.

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

Here's the USS Constitution stuff I was talking about:

http://www.techno-fandom.org/~hobbit/pix/ussc/tour1.html

"The powder magazine itself, for longer-term gunpowder storage, is completely lined in copper sheeting to keep humidity away from the barrels. Moisture from the hull would condense on the outside of the copper and fall away. Obviously this area had to be protected from sparks and fire -- there's a "light box" arrangement that would allow lanterns to shine into the magazine through glass but keep their flame physically outside the space.

Gunpowder kegs apparently had to be turned over every so often to maintain the even distribution of the ingredients"

...again, this is from a historic site so taske what you will from it.

Bo

Patrick Hand said: "I've posted this before, It's from "The Diary of an American Boy"

...And many thanks for posting this again! I had it saved to my computer and photobucket from before. I'm going to take the advice of the majority and just do the little one for now. The pair of casks on the stand are going to get the bands replaced with willow, but I'll keep them as they are for the time being.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

• 3 weeks later...

Bo, a caution if you will in the use the kegs for black powder. We used to have a brass bound small keg we used for our cannon powder - it does look cool and all. But after a few years of being bounced around in the Hellion, and being topped off periodically, I found that there was an ever increasing amount of black powder dust being generated within the keg. BP dust is extemely explosive. I tried emptying the keg, rinsing with water several times, drying and refilling. But the amount of dust present when I would totally empty the keg out was still far too much for my comfort. I suspect the water did not get all the dust out, formed a cake-like lining in the keg, which abrasion with new powder then liberated back into BP dust.

If I am not mistaken, powder kegs were not re-used on board ships, they were heaved overboard when empty. Whether this was for weight/space considerations or for the above reasons, not sure. Just keep it in mind should you use them for black powder.

Pirate music at it's best, from 1650 onwards

newbanner.jpg

The Brigands