Pirate episode of Dr. Who

jendobyns

I heard rather unfavourable things about the new actor. (It could just be because people usually react poorly to change.) It sort of makes sense that they would cross over into the era of the pirates, though. He is a time traveler...

We probably have Disney to thank for this. If they hadn't reinvigorated the genre, everyone would probably still think piracy = box office death. (Even so, you don't see a lot of copycat movies for some reason. Most of the media spillover seems to be mainly in television.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Just saw the episode here in America, and it was interesting. I won't be spoiling any significant plot points here. All I want to say is that I am surprised that some writer must have cracked a book or website about pirates and actually looked up something. Henry Every was a pirate in the late 17th century that had taken treasure from Great Mogul's ship in the pilgrim fleet. I've seen a lot of pirate films and shows where historical pirate figures are used, but then the resulting story drastically departs from history (even Charles Johnson's kind of history) to the point that you wonder if you're talking about the same guy (example, the Robert Newton movie, "Blackbeard the Pirate" in which Blackbeard is a 17th century pirate who associates with Henry Morgan...what?). But, considering Dr. Who is a sci fi show, I'm rather pleased with this show as a part of that series (I'm a regular viewer of the show). As for the use of pirates, its pretty typical. Costume and props used are semi-typical of media today, meaning that the clothing looks like stuff they have been using in film for a long time, but it has been dulled in color and made dirty.

I'll wait until later to critique the episode more, so I don't spoil it for other people.

Edited by Brit.Privateer

it wasnt my favorite episode...and that had not to do with the pyrate part...i felt that the explanation for the siren just wasn't quite up to snuff, nor the ending.........but the next episode looks to be very promising..........

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

My word Israel, t'is Dr. Who, not the history channel....

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

So, . . .

THAT is what happened to Henry Avery/Every!

I guess Foxe needs to rework the end of his book on the guy.

(Hehehehehehehe)

And more to topic, Doctor Who has a weird hit-and-miss relation to actual history. Some is very, very good, while some is a sci-fi spin (understand in the nature of the show), while other is just inexplicably odd and strangely and needlessly bizarre (at least to someone who knows the actual history). Often all three happen in the same episode.

The first 2 I have zero issue with, as that is the nature of the show. The last one perplexes and irks me. Always will.

I DO like the openendedness of this episode's end. You don't know if they go and continue to do piracy or something else. It is left up to the mind of the audience.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

it wasnt the pyarate stuff! i just didnt like the episodes plot, it really seemed crappy in comparison to the season opening episodes............and iv grown not to expect tooooooo much from the history channel.......

The episode was a classic Dr. Who plot - something bad is happening, the Doctor appears, more bad things happen, the doctor figures out how to minimize the deaths but more people die anyway, the Doctor figures out what is going on and stops it. The main difference with this one is that everyone survived. Usually there is a high body count. They have been using variations of this plot since the 1960s.

This is true. However, for me at least, the key to a Dr. Who episode isn't so much what happens, so much as how witty and absurd the Doctor is in responding to it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG