Where should I go?

All right, I've got May, June, July, and August off from law school. I'm just outside Washington, DC. I want to go to at least one pirate event this summer to see some of you fine folks, but I'm extremely poor, which pretty well limits me to Maryland, Virginia, and maybe North Carolina or Pennsylvania. Where should I go?

Right now I'm looking at going to the Rock Hall Pirates and Wenches Fantasy Weekend on Aug. 13 and 14. If I have enough money for gas I might go to Beaufort Pirates Invasion instead (naturally they're scheduled on the same weekend). Are there any other pirate events around my area I ought to consider?

There is the Lockehouse event over the weekend of July 11th, just outside of Baltimore in Havre de Grace. That should be less than a two hour drive from DC.

It tends to be a smaller event, but what it lacks in numbers, it more than makes up for in heart (going from the two times I have been).

Michael_banner.jpg

Friday June 3 through Sunday June 6, 2011, Blackbeard Festival in Hampton VA.

Friday August 12 & Saturday 13, 2011, Beaufort Pirate Invasion

Friday August 5 through Sunday August 7, 20 11, Pirate Weekend, Bald Headed Island, NC

I know that both the Maryland and the Pennsylvania Renaissance Festivals have pirate weekends but I have never been to either.

There is also a fundraiser event for the Kalmar Nyckel where they will need pirates sometime in July also but the details are still a little sketchy. I believe it is a one day event but I have no idea where. Keep an eye out for postings.

I would definitely go to the Lockhouse if I were you. It's close, it's period and it's Blackjohn's event. You'd like Blackjohn.

Wenches Fantasy Weekend? Seriously? No offense to the organizers or people who enjoy it, but I've known you for years on-line and that sounds about as far from the sort of event you'd enjoy as you could find.

If you decide to go to Lockhouse LMK. If I can swing it, I'd go just to meet you.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I have moved Lockhouse pirate day and the Hampton Blackbeard festival to the top of my list. Although I may just go to Rock Hall too; it's close, and a little fantasy never hurt anybody. ;)

There is the Lockehouse event over the weekend of July 11th, just outside of Baltimore in Havre de Grace. That should be less than a two hour drive from DC.

It tends to be a smaller event, but what it lacks in numbers, it more than makes up for in heart (going from the two times I have been).

Well. bugger! That's the weekend that the Half Moon is coming to CT and we're doing a 1609-1654 encampment with her.

No Lock House again.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Lockhouse is no longer Blackjohn's event(at least not this year), he has passed it along to Munk from the Mobtowne Hooligans...a wonderful chap, who will do the event justice I am sure. According to his last email, the dates are July 9 & 10. The only problem being, this year there will be some competition as there is a possible fund raiser as well for the Nyckel proposed for the 9th, the last time I heard from them. As soon as I get some confirmation, it will posted here and since Munk is now a member of the pub, I am sure he will follow up on his plans for the Lockhouse this summer...

I highly recommend Beaufort and Blackbeard

The Mercury crew will be joining Blackbeard's Crew and the Archangel for Beaufort this year as well... plenty of boats, along with the Meka II, The Gaol is in full swing, a battle, a hanging, and hopefully a noteworthy new pub crawl...Oh and not to mention, supposedly, ahem... a new exhibit of the items being brought up from the Queen Anne's Revenge site...to be displayed in the local mariners museum

Come to Blackbeard's, enjoy the great guns of Hampton, a ball, watch for the press gangs, trials, sea battles, customs house, etc... lots going on this year. So come and introduce yourself and perhaps we shall press you for further events and help get your sorry carcass at least up and down some of the east coast this summer...

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

http://jcsterlingcptarchang.wix.com/creweofthearchangel#

http://creweofthearchangel.wordpress.com/

I know that both the Maryland and the Pennsylvania Renaissance Festivals have pirate weekends but I have never been to either.

Actually, Maryland Renaissance Festival is not having any themed weekends this year.

Vigilant Crew is hosting a day event at Pohick State Park in VA the weekend of June 18th. Feel free to stop on by and introduce yourself. It's a small relaxed fun event. We ususally invade the Pirate themed pool at the end of the day too :D

I too will recommended Blackbeard Festival and in mid September there's an event at Marcus Hook.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

• 11 months later...

They have it posted on the Lockhouse Museum website as being July 13 - 15 this year.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I have put in a message to Munk to see what he may know as he took over the event from Blackjohn for last year. I do know that he is extremely busy with a 150th anniversary of a hardcore tiger group from the civil war...so I am not so certain he has a hand in this year's Lockhouse... will let ye know as soon as I can...he doesn't play on the computer much. If I don't hear back within the week, I will ring him.

Edited by Capt. Sterling

"I being shot through the left cheek, the bullet striking away great part of my upper jaw, and several teeth which dropt down the deck where I fell... I was forced to write what I would say to prevent the loss of blood, and because of the pain I suffered by speaking."~ Woodes Rogers

Crewe of the Archangel

Right then, Munk has turned the event over to Crimson Corsair as the Lockhouse wanted to change venues from strictly historical to more of an inclusive pirate festival. Historical types are still welcome and Munk may go and play for the day depending on who is up for it...but he is no longer running the event.

Crewe of the Archangel