Brigand's Grove - Aug. 13th & 14th

michaelsbagley

I keep hopin' I can make it. We shall see. I have at least one member of the Resurrection planning on attending this event, thus far. Shall keep watching the website. And hopefully gas won't be $6 or $7 a gallon by that time.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 3 weeks later...

I've been to the website. However, the registration form is for 2010.

Will this year's registration be due by June 1, 2011 like last year's? If so, time is getting lean. How do we register otherwise? Are $5.oo checks to be made out to the same group and sent to the same address as last year?

Thanks mates.

-Tar Bucket Bill

Edited by Tar Bucket Bill

I've been to the website. However, the registration form is for 2010.

Will this year's registration be due by June 1, 2011 like last year's? If so, time is getting lean. How do we register otherwise? Are $5.oo checks to be made out to the same group and sent to the same address as last year?

Thanks mates.

-Tar Bucket Bill

Hey Bill,

I believe all of last years info still holds... But let me double check with Nate....

Michael_banner.jpg

Anything definitive yet?

The registration form on the website is still a 2010 form.

The June 1st deadline is fast approaching --- if that is when the 2011 deadline is.

We would need to mail out our registrations and $5.oo checks this week, so that we are registered in time.

-Tar Bucket Bill

I wish I was getting answers... Things changed this year, and the event was supposed to be run by a collection of folks... I volunteered to help with updating the web site and helping promote, but without the information to update with, there is nothing I can do or say. I really like the event and want it to go over well, but if the decision makers are going to be incommunicado, it might be best to just forget about it. Yeah, I'm that frustrated with it.

Michael_banner.jpg

I wish I was getting answers... Things changed this year, and the event was supposed to be run by a collection of folks... I volunteered to help with updating the web site and helping promote, but without the information to update with, there is nothing I can do or say. I really like the event and want it to go over well, but if the decision makers are going to be incommunicado, it might be best to just forget about it. Yeah, I'm that frustrated with it.

OH,say it ain't so!!!

-Tar Bucket Bill

Apparently my expressing sheer and utter annoyance was the needed catalyst to get an answer...

Registration will be extended to July 15th (firm), it will still be $5... A new form will be posted on the web site within days.

OH,say it ain't so!!!

-Tar Bucket Bill

Michael_banner.jpg

Apparently my expressing sheer and utter annoyance was the needed catalyst to get an answer...

Registration will be extended to July 15th (firm), it will still be $5... A new form will be posted on the web site within days.

OH,say it ain't so!!!

-Tar Bucket Bill

Huzzah!

Thanks for your diligence Michael!

-Tar Bucket Bill

• 3 weeks later...

A better deadline.

Alas, I couldn't find the new Registration form. I must be a blind Pew.

~Lady B

If you visit the "Pirates Of Paynetown" web site and click on the Registration link, it will open the registration form.... It is in Adobe Acrobat/.pdf format, so you will need that installed on your computer (most have i, but it is freee from Adobe if you don't already have it).

Let me know if you have any trouble with that!

Michael_banner.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Michael,

Thank-you for handling all of this. Obviously, the collective group project hasn't been as effective as I had hoped. Now that things are getting a little less insane around here for me, I'm tying into this full steam as before. Thank-you for saving my tookus!

For those of you who still need information, you can call me directly at (812) 606-1264.

The registration deadline is July 15th. The registration fee is still $5.00 per person over 18. If for any reason, you cannot download the registration form, please e-mail me at nlogsdon(at)att.net and I'll e-mail you a copy of the registration form.

Nathan

BTW, if anyone other than myself and Michael are interested in helping keep this event going by volunteering a little time to help with promotion and planning, please let me know. It's getting too big for one person, but it needs dedicated people like Michael who will follow through with their offer to help!

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

I be doing what I can to put the word out already. ;) Gotten some folks rather interested. Hopefully they attend. Good word of mouth, says I. ;)

~Lady B

This is an IMPORTANT Announcement concerning this event, please ensure this news is passed on to whomever you know it may concern.

First the bad news (there is good news).

The Indiana State DNR/Paynetown SRA have canceled the event. Basically after five years of treating the event organizers like crap, despite this event creating quantifiable extra revenue for the site, they gave the event the boot. So the event is canceled.

Now the good news.

Anyone and everyone who paid their registration will be refunded in full. Please give Nate a couple of weeks to get this done. This cancellation, did come as a bit of a shock, so please be patient.

Now the better news.

While "Pirates Of Paynetown" is canceled, Nate along with some of the other organizers and supporters of the "Pirates Of Paynetown" event are putting together an alternative event at another location. Because the event will be no where near Paynetown, and considering how poorly Paynetown handled this parting of paths, the new event will have a very different name.

The new event will also vary in concept some. Because a new site at a lake was not readily available, the nautical angle will be lessened. Pirates will still be welcomed at the new event, but the new event will be all about all the "bad boys" (and "bad girls") of history. Pirates, bandits, rebels, highwaymen, etc. The proposed name for the event is "Brigands Grove". The event will still be a historic event, so a good effort on historical authenticity is still mandatory (as in the source for your portrayal needs to be better than a film, any film), but this isn't a strictly juried event.

One downside, is the new site only has a stream. While the stream is big enough to handle smaller boats, some of the mid-size or larger boats, or boats with deeper draughts will not be able to navigate the stream.

On the plus side, the new site is dramatically larger than the Paynetown SRA, and has a great deal more room, trees for shade.... And most importantly.... WILL BE FREE TO ATTEND !!!

We are still working out some of the details of the new event, but it will be the same dates as Paynetown (this year), and still in the state of Indiana (just not on Indiana DNR land). The new location is about an hour south of Paynetown SRA, so it may be a bit of a longer drive for some (sorry about that), but it will be a shorter drive for most.

More posts will be forthcoming as details are worked out. Please feel free to offer suggestions, as the new event will be for historical re-enactors, by historical re-enactors, on land and at a location that is both supportive and friendly to re-enactors!!! All feedback and suggestions are welcome, and if you feel you could contribute to help run this new event (although we have a pretty good size group helping already) please contact Nathanael (HistoryFanatic on this forum).

Sorry about the bad news, but I hope you find the good news part as exciting as I do!

Michael_banner.jpg

Brigands Grove has a neat sound to it. Are the dates the same?

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This is an IMPORTANT Announcement concerning this event, please ensure this news is passed on to whomever you know it may concern.

First the bad news (there is good news).

The Indiana State DNR/Paynetown SRA have canceled the event. Basically after five years of treating the event organizers like crap, despite this event creating quantifiable extra revenue for the site, they gave the event the boot. So the event is canceled.

Now the good news.

Anyone and everyone who paid their registration will be refunded in full. Please give Nate a couple of weeks to get this done. This cancellation, did come as a bit of a shock, so please be patient.

Now the better news.

While "Pirates Of Paynetown" is canceled, Nate along with some of the other organizers and supporters of the "Pirates Of Paynetown" event are putting together an alternative event at another location. Because the event will be no where near Paynetown, and considering how poorly Paynetown handled this parting of paths, the new event will have a very different name.

The new event will also vary in concept some. Because a new site at a lake was not readily available, the nautical angle will be lessened. Pirates will still be welcomed at the new event, but the new event will be all about all the "bad boys" (and "bad girls") of history. Pirates, bandits, rebels, highwaymen, etc. The proposed name for the event is "Brigands Grove". The event will still be a historic event, so a good effort on historical authenticity is still mandatory (as in the source for your portrayal needs to be better than a film, any film), but this isn't a strictly juried event.

One downside, is the new site only has a stream. While the stream is big enough to handle smaller boats, some of the mid-size or larger boats, or boats with deeper draughts will not be able to navigate the stream.

On the plus side, the new site is dramatically larger than the Paynetown SRA, and has a great deal more room, trees for shade.... And most importantly.... WILL BE FREE TO ATTEND !!!

We are still working out some of the details of the new event, but it will be the same dates as Paynetown (this year), and still in the state of Indiana (just not on Indiana DNR land). The new location is about an hour south of Paynetown SRA, so it may be a bit of a longer drive for some (sorry about that), but it will be a shorter drive for most.

More posts will be forthcoming as details are worked out. Please feel free to offer suggestions, as the new event will be for historical re-enactors, by historical re-enactors, on land and at a location that is both supportive and friendly to re-enactors!!! All feedback and suggestions are welcome, and if you feel you could contribute to help run this new event (although we have a pretty good size group helping already) please contact Nathanael (HistoryFanatic on this forum).

Sorry about the bad news, but I hope you find the good news part as exciting as I do!

Do you have any specifics? Will the event be open to the public? What are the amenities? Is there running water? Showers?

Brigands Grove has a neat sound to it. Are the dates the same?

Yes, same dates.

Do you have any specifics? Will the event be open to the public? What are the amenities? Is there running water? Showers?

No specifics yet, we are still working on the details. We wanted to have more information before saying anything at all, but between a small information leak and wanting to head off any bad feelings some may have had for not being told sooner, we had to post this sooner rather than later.

All information will be revealed in plenty of time. Plenty of time for folks to have the time to make a fair and informed decision, but rushing details we don't have right now will not give folks a fair chance to make the best decision for themselves yet.

Unofficially - I am skeptical about showers, running water is likely, open to the public: yes, but it will likely be low public attendance and a mostly self indulgent event for re-enactors have have fun amongst themselves.

One more event I never got to attend, but by picture proxy. Good luck with the new plans! I like the name.

Glad you like the name (I'm partial to it as well), sorry you never made Paynetown... While we are losing the lake, we are trying to keep the spirit of that event alive in this new one... Just without the site working against the organizer(s). Thanks for the good wishes.

Michael_banner.jpg

Yes, there is running water in some areas, water buffaloes and porta-johns in other areas. (Don't worry, I take good care of reenactors!!)

The showers will probably not be available by this year unless we get really busy between now and then... I wouldn't count on showers for 2011, but there will DEFINATELY be showers by 2012!

Public turn-out will probably be low at first, but I think it will take off as the locals catch on and definately next year when we have a whole year to advertise it. We do have access to lots of Boy Scouts though and I'm sure we'll have a decent number of troops visiting us, even this year. (The Scouts are very well behaved around here, so it'll be a good experience I'm sure.)

The property is already undergoing major improvements, so the site will only get better (it's already pretty awesome) and since this is a living history oriented location instead of a state park, we have the option of putting in some semi-permanent structures, terrain design, battlefield obstacles, etc should we so desire. There's also a 200-year-old building on the property that is suitable for hanging out in as well as raiding.

If you're interested in being part of the PLANNING COMMITTEE, please let me or Michael know.

Thank-you all for being so understanding and supportive!!

Nathan

Y.M.H.S.,

Nathanael Logsdon

Militia Captain, Merchant Sailor, Tailor, Brewer, Gunrunner and Occassional Pirate...

www.piratesofpaynetown.org

www.taylor-rosehistorical.com

www.ladywashington.org

The property is already undergoing major improvements, so the site will only get better (it's already pretty awesome) and since this is a living history oriented location instead of a state park, we have the option of putting in some semi-permanent structures, terrain design, battlefield obstacles, etc should we so desire. There's also a 200-year-old building on the property that is suitable for hanging out in as well as raiding.

Ah...bet I know where it is. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG