Building a Spanish (Catalan) Blunderbuss

Commodore Swab

Progress is made and disaster strikes . . . .

I started by cutting out the thimble on the lathe (some old bronze shaft I recovered from a wreck)

med_gallery_6250_444_1226962.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_1445982.jpg

Then a tab gets welded on

med_gallery_6250_444_1486337.jpg

After this it gets put into the mill and trued up then back into the lathe to be bored out (sorry forgot to take pics of that)

The tabs and tang also get welded onto the buss. As this was bored from a solid steel shaft there is no need for a breech plug.

med_gallery_6250_444_1322568.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_1603587.jpg

Now I was slightly misleading when I said disaster strikes. The frizzen spring screw wouldnt hold the spring well and under inspection I found there to be no threads on it. Also the spring for the trigger was broken. To fix the frizzen spring I decided to try welding onto the original screw (much harder than it sounds due to the metal) and tap the hole to a slightly larger size. Of course to tap the hole I needed to remove the main spring which requires removing everything else.

The cracked trigger spring

gallery_6250_444_812489.jpg

The "glob" welded onto the original screw (to the left of the cock)

gallery_6250_444_121368.jpg

The "new" old screw with the new threads cut

gallery_6250_444_1464319.jpg

As for the cracked trigger spring sometimes its best if somebody isnt around to tell you you cant do something.

I welded that up by just tapping it with the TiG pratically then quenched it in water, it took a couple trys of tempering but she is now back in the lock and it all functions great, the frizzen is the best its ever been.

id.jpg

Unbelievable.

I called the rifle shoppe on Tuesday morning to order a triggerguard for the buss. This morning I went to the bank to see if they had charged the card since I couldn't get ahold of them. The money was gone and this afternoon the triggerguard arrived! Ordered on Tuesday arrived on Friday, that has got to be some record for the Rifle Shoppe.

id.jpg

Unbelievable.

I called the rifle shoppe on Tuesday morning to order a triggerguard for the buss. This morning I went to the bank to see if they had charged the card since I couldn't get ahold of them. The money was gone and this afternoon the triggerguard arrived! Ordered on Tuesday arrived on Friday, that has got to be some record for the Rifle Shoppe.

Absolutely amazing !!!

Well it seems you can have it 2 of three ways when dealing with the rifle shoppe. Good, Fast, Cheap I got the triggerguard relativly fast and cheap . . .

med_gallery_6250_444_453395.jpg

Note how the lines arent across and the detail is lacking, Ive had much worse and much better in a sand casting. Definatly workable

med_gallery_6250_444_1119146.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_876340.jpg

Cleanup started, working with a hand file and dremel

med_gallery_6250_444_178218.jpg

and for those of you who spied the ther buss heres a picture of how its coming along. Once its done having a photoshoot on the 18th it will be available for sale

med_gallery_6250_188_1439774.jpg

id.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok for those of you desiring an update, it is comming but not now. Long story short I screwed what needed to be put together without doing the detail work and ran her thru the paces this weekend. As a little teaser she was fired for the news . . .

gallery_6250_444_23790.jpg

id.jpg

Sweeeet! do you want a couple of my antique huge French amber musket flints to finish 'er off with? I won't be needing all that I bought I'm sure. If interested pm me with your addy and I'll send a few of the bigguns, along with a couple of English ones too.

Theyre from the british armory in Nepal, supposed to be at least a couple-hundred years old.

Bo

I just got them, Thank you so much they are beautiful and will add the perfect finishing touch to this piece. Thanks again.

id.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Another neat piece that maybe simple-r to make is the blunderbuss style pistols that were popular during the GAOP.

A-P-BB.jpg

I would think you (that is you with your skills) could take one of the Indian import pistols and retro fit it with the blunderbuss style barrel.

Good work!

Edited by Gentleman of Fortune

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

I built one for a friend of mine with a bronze barrel, due to the stock its easier and cheaper for me to build one from scratch with an american lock than to modify an india piece. I have a piece of bronze im going to cut for another pistol before too long.

id.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

General good rule of thumb is the wall thickness at the breech should be equal to the bore in bronze, this is what I use for a basis when working with small cannons and larger pieces. It makes a difference if you are building to fire a ball or shot as well. I would much rather err on the side of caution and have to lug a heavier piece around.

id.jpg