Building a Spanish (Catalan) Blunderbuss

Commodore Swab

I am in the process of building a Spanish blunderbuss and thought I would share some of the steps I am going in the process. Sort of a "here's my project from start to finish" feel free to comment along the way.

It all started when I found an original lock and purchased it. When looking at the lock I estimated it to be around 1720's (see thread on helping to ID a flintlock) for various reasons. As I have been unable to find any original examples of Spanish blunderbusses so I am taking a couple of liberties. I have decided on a simple flared design all in steel, the lock is rather plain and I plan on keeping the buss plain as well. As the lock is of French origin in design due to Spain's ruler if I were to build this as a common buss there would be little to distinguish it as Spanish once done. Cascabel made a wonderful suggestion to go with a Catalan styled stock and this is my intention. I am looking to build a larger buss and the barrel length will be around 20 inches overall length roughly 36 inches. As for caliber I am thinking of .75 which should pair with the lock very nicely. Here is a picture of the lock as well as my rough sketch of what the completed buss might look like.

med_gallery_6250_444_1462155.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_4355.jpg

id.jpg

Sweeeet! do you want a couple of my antique huge French amber musket flints to finish 'er off with? I won't be needing all that I bought I'm sure. If interested pm me with your addy and I'll send a few of the bigguns, along with a couple of English ones too.

Theyre from the british armory in Nepal, supposed to be at least a couple-hundred years old.

Bo

I am in the process of building a Spanish blunderbuss and thought I would share some of the steps I am going in the process. Sort of a "here's my project from start to finish" feel free to comment along the way.

It all started when I found an original lock and purchased it. When looking at the lock I estimated it to be around 1720's (see thread on helping to ID a flintlock) for various reasons. As I have been unable to find any original examples of Spanish blunderbusses so I am taking a couple of liberties. I have decided on a simple flared design all in steel, the lock is rather plain and I plan on keeping the buss plain as well. As the lock is of French origin in design due to Spain's ruler if I were to build this as a common buss there would be little to distinguish it as Spanish once done. Cascabel made a wonderful suggestion to go with a Catalan styled stock and this is my intention. I am looking to build a larger buss and the barrel length will be around 20 inches overall length roughly 36 inches. As for caliber I am thinking of .75 which should pair with the lock very nicely. Here is a picture of the lock as well as my rough sketch of what the completed buss might look like.

med_gallery_6250_444_1462155.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_4355.jpg

I like it !!! You will have a well-proportioned and unique piece when done. Carry on, sez I........

Hey on your Spanish blunderbuss if you Look in The book "spanish military weapons in Colonial America 1700-1821" there are a couple of pics of original blunderbusses from the Ripoll arsenal. If you can't find the book Let me know and I will try to scan the pages for yo Rusty Spike

Rusty Spike emailed me 3 pages and I have posted them here. The Catalan stock is what I am really interested in.

gallery_6250_444_420554.jpg

gallery_6250_444_662888.jpg

gallery_6250_444_2424538.jpg

The first step was to draw out the piece, I use autocad as it is easier to trace and scale drawings then print them up.

med_gallery_6250_444_799370.jpg

Then check the lock for size and rough cut the stock.

med_gallery_6250_444_826483.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_855799.jpg

Next step is starting on the barrel

id.jpg

I am going to pick up some walnut, not sure if its black walnut or american or european? BUT, its about 2 feet wide, 5 feet long, and 4 inches thick...let me know if you need stock material. Its been sitting in a guys basement for around 10 years or so.......

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

If ever I am wealthy enough to afford a custom built gun, I have wanted one of these Spanish Escopeta guns for years. I have posted some pictures to show the Catalan stock design

escopeta.gif

The escopeta, a light, smoothbore, muzzle-loading musket or carbine was a popular weapon of the 18th century soldado de cuera. Made with a Spanish or miguelet lock and a Catalan stock, this sturdy and dependable weapon saw use for nearly 200 years on the northern frontier. There were many variations in barrel length, and stock design, but the miguelet lock was commonly used. In 1786, escopetas purchased for frontier use cost the Crown 6 pesos, 5 reales, 9 grains. The Model illustrated was made by Antonio Guisasola of Eibar, Spain, about 1800. It is caliber .75 with a Catalan stock and a 33 1/2-inch barrel. The quality of the piece indicates that it was carried by a gentleman or officer.

SpanishEscopetafromTrackOftheWolf.jpgfig8-19.jpg

Enjoy...

***I noticed that I had badly mis-spelled "Spanish" so I came back to correct that!***

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

I like it as well although my heart as well as size restrictions are in favor of a blunderbuss. I spent several months living in Barcelona and that is the only portion of Spain I am familiar with so a Catalan gun holds a special part in my heart.

Yesterday and today I worked on the barrel and got alot accomplished. Every time I look at the barrel in the lathe it looks just massive but then I go back to the drawing and know that the proportions are just right. Its going to work out being a little over 12 gauge but will fire a .75 cal ball with wadding just fine.

id.jpg

I started work on the barrel and heres roughly how its gone so far . . .

First was finding a good piece of "junk"

gallery_6250_444_1248992.jpg

Next involved turning down the outside

med_gallery_6250_444_20159.jpg

And then the boring began . . .

med_gallery_6250_444_609032.jpg

you can roughly see the length of the first bit here. I had to purchase another bit and almost double the length to get to where I needed to be

med_gallery_6250_444_1538228.jpg

After cutting the inside taper and finishing the bore, there is still much cleanup to do

med_gallery_6250_444_343736.jpg

id.jpg

Today consisted of finishing off the barrel and pulling it out of the lathe (still alot of work to do on it). The barrel was then compared with the drawing along with the lock (I decided to make it a couple inches shorter) and the drawing cut out and traced onto the wood for the stock. The stock was cut out on the bandsaw and then put into the mill. In the mill I can true up and start to cut the stock for the barrel removing alot of wood but not all of it. The final inletting is done by hand. I left the camera at the shop so pictures may have to wait until Monday night.

id.jpg

After cutting the barrel off I line it up with the lock and compare with the printout

med_gallery_6250_444_213932.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_997962.jpg

The printout is then cut out and traced onto the wood for the stock which is then cut out for the general shape.

med_gallery_6250_444_708072.jpg

The stock was then put into the mill and the cutting started, first "truing up" on the sides of the barrel then rough cutting the barrel groove.

med_gallery_6250_444_1564711.jpg

med_gallery_6250_444_1548275.jpg

This concludes Friday with a final shot of barrel lock and rough stock

med_gallery_6250_444_1136237.jpg

id.jpg

During the weekend I was able to cut/grind out enough to get the lock to fit flat so it could be marked out. Before I did this I milled the area flat. I also left extra wood on the side, you can always take a litte more out but you cant add more in. Normally I would dismantle the lock to lay the plate flat but considering the age and that this lock is original I opted to leave wood so that I could grind then mill.

med_gallery_6250_444_154263.jpg

The barrel slot was finished, after the milling I go over it with a sanding drum on a drill a little at a time rotating the barrel to find the high spots. The sanding drums are the best option I have found so far when dealing with a tapered blunderbuss barrel.

med_gallery_6250_444_574056.jpg

The stock has been roughed into shape and the barrel fitted. I rough the stock using an angle grinder with a sanding pad, you must be careful as it is easy to "goof" and then go over with a random orbit and about 60 grit. This will deliver a relativly smooth shape but be sure enough wood is left on to go over with a much finer grit when completion is neared.

med_gallery_6250_444_1180648.jpg

and with the lock in place

med_gallery_6250_444_406882.jpg

id.jpg

Wow, she is just coming together beautifully. Thanks for letting us all follow the progress.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

See what happens when you don't check in. True it may look like alot of work has been done but these are the "big steps" where the work done is noticable. Yesterday a friend tried some browning and was disgusted with it as it rusted everything overnight so he gave it to me. If this works the same then it should provide a little pitting that will then be cleaned up and done properly to match the age of the lock. Today I took the time to work on the stock and barrel then give them a coating to check color. As I thought the stock is much too light and I am going to have to see what I can do to darken it and the barrel turned out coppery in color so it will probably all get removed tomorrow. So far Im estimating 6 days at about 6 hours a day and at min wage which I believe is 7.25 here that works out to $260 in labor alone, compared with a $500 india blunderbuss you can see why Im building it for myself and can't afford to make something like this to sell. Anyways much much more work to go but here are some pictures from photobucket, Ill change them to my gallery here once its working again.

First off the barrel cleaned up and sanded

SUC54630.jpg

Putting on the browning (knowing its going to be sanded again

SUC54631.jpg

And a few pictures of the "lock stock, and barrel" together. This is a good point to voice your opinions if I should change anything

SUC54632.jpg

SUC54633.jpg

SUC54634.jpg

SUC54635.jpg

id.jpg

not quite the constructive critisim i was looking for but thank you.

In my own humble opinion, there is no criticism to be found! That is indeed AWESOME. Great job, mate!

"Now then, me bullies! Would you rather do the gallows dance, and hang in chains 'til the crows pluck your eyes from your rotten skulls? Or would you feel the roll of a stout ship beneath your feet again?"

---Captain William Kidd---

(1945)

True most of the muskets are banded although this is a blunderbuss and the few blunderbuss examples are not banded unless setup for a swivel. Also with the french styled spanish lock I have decided to pin it. Today I am going to see what can be done about welding on it and another piece. There likely won't be updates for a while as I am going to have to wait for the triggerguard from the rifle shoppe.

id.jpg