Idle Curiosity

Fox

Okay ...so what's my prize? ;)

The hauling down of the Union Jack from over Ulster. ;) ;)

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1916

Eye read thru it and see the Human race and the inhumane acts it commits have not changed any.

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the party but,

1 For me 1916 equals WW1.

2 For some reason I always thought that song was about IRA violence in the eighties.

3 Muttley for the win. First he has a real plane with actual guns, second he comes close to succeeding despite being shackled to a group of morons who can't stop pwning themselves long enough to actually get pwned by the pigeon. Oh and BTW I'm taking this pigeon over Valiant.

THIS BE THE HITMAN WE GOIN QUIET

Okay, strange question...and ye'll just have to take me affy-davy that I'm responding *before* looking at anything below the original post. First thing I think of for that year is WW1. Right on the heels of that is the Easter Rising in Ireland...I heard the current Hanoverian, Queen Lizzie, went to the Memorial in Ireland recently, and I salute her for doing so.

Mark ye, I got no irons in the fire regarding Ireland. There's a story that the family's part Irish on me father's mother's side, but what little research I've done has yet to confirm this. The Brits of the family got out in 1637, just a couple years before the Civil War, and looking either for escape from the tyranny of Charles 1, religious liberty, or a decent meal. Or indeed, all three.

Ok, there is no 'right' answer to this question, and I'm not doing a survey, it's just idle curiosity, as I said.

What does the year 1916 signify to you?

I'll explain why I'm asking later.

Damn, thats sharp!

Ok, there is no 'right' answer to this question, and I'm not doing a survey, it's just idle curiosity, as I said.

What does the year 1916 signify to you?

I'll explain why I'm asking later.

Off the top of my head, and without reading further down-thread... isn't that the year there was some sort of Irish thingy going on? Bloody Sunday? Something like that?

My Home on the Web

The Pirate Brethren Gallery

Dreams are the glue that holds reality together.

Speaking of WWI reenactment, there is some land out west (US) that would make a fabulous No-Man's Land. Some in North Georgia too.

A bunch of my friends do WWI in a recreated battlefield on a farm in PA. I'd go, but a) dressing up in funny clothes isn't on my priorities list any more and :rolleyes: I don't really want to sit around in a trench with a bunch of guys reenacting WWI 24/7 for a couple days in a row. Reenacting without carousing? Where's the fun in that? ;)

My Home on the Web

I wondered if my oversight was the result of having an English outlook, and sought to test it by asking my colonial friends, who turned up late for WWI, and thus might not think of 1916 in the same way.

Possibly, because the connection in my mind went 1916>Cranberries>U2 Sunday Bloody Sunday>1916=Irish Rebellion. And this from a guy who spent the first four months of 2011 doing nothing but painting 1:144th scale WWI airplanes and playing Wings of War.

My Home on the Web