Need help to ID a flintlock

Commodore Swab

I have a large original lock that I believe to be Spanish from roughly the 1720's. It is a french style lock however has the large round ring (like a spanishmiquelet) on top of the cock with no provision for a screw driver. The frizzen is nearly verticle when closed and the frizzen is bridled (which is why I figure more late 1720's). The frizzen also has verticle groves cut in it that are mostly worn off. On the outside is a makers mark consisting of a crowned R, the crown having 5 points. On the inside is a sideways V inside a box next to a "P". Overall shape of the lock is quite curved instead of flat. I will try to get some pictures up asap. Is there anybody who might have some literature or point me in the correct direction I would be greatful. I intend to build a simple spanish blunderbuss using this lock and would love to make the stock, barrel, and hardware as correct as possible. I was able to place a flint in the jaws (required 2 pieces of leather) which took and effort as the jaws don't close that tight, I figure the "rocks" they were using wernt anywhere near as nice as what we have now. The frizzen spring is weak and barely holds the pan closed while the main spring is still quite strong. When triggered she throws tons of sparks, it really is a joy to see something so old still working beautifully I can't wait to build the gun for this beauty.

id.jpg

I found this information on the Rifle Shoppe website . . .

"In 1700, a new king came to the throne (Philip V) who was of French descent. Styles started changing in all things including weapons. The model 1700 Infantry Musket was updated with the new French style lock in 1718, which was very similar to the 1717 French Infantry Musket lock but without internal and external bridles which were added in 1722. A new Infantry musket came out in 1752 which was compilation of the best features of the earlier muskets (Spanish and French)."

This is why I date it to late 1720's, it is french style with an external bridle and the spanish ring. I am assuming that the "new" musket retained the same lock yet the changes were to the musket itself?

id.jpg

gallery_6250_444_1462155.jpg

gallery_6250_444_8564.jpg

gallery_6250_444_50971.jpg

gallery_6250_444_405583.jpg

gallery_6250_444_30647.jpg

Great looking old lock !! You have a couple of options for making it grip today's thinner flints. It involves minor unnoticeable modifications to the cock. Depending on your available shop equipment, it's not difficult. PM me and I'll explain it if you want.

>>>>> Cascabel

I figure I can either make a washer at the top or cut the bottom off of the threads so it will screw down farther. My preferable option of course is to find thick flints. Any chance you might have a picture of a Spanish Buss? I'm planning on building a steel barrel for this that way I should be able to fire her anywhere safely.

id.jpg

I figure I can either make a washer at the top or cut the bottom off of the threads so it will screw down farther. My preferable option of course is to find thick flints. Any chance you might have a picture of a Spanish Buss? I'm planning on building a steel barrel for this that way I should be able to fire her anywhere safely.

I looked in my library, and didn't find any Spanish blunderbusses. You might want to consider making one of those oddly stocked Catalan style pieces just to be different. You can see what they look like in the Rifle Shoppe catalog, if you have one.

There are much better ways to get a better bite on the flint than shortening the screw. You really need to increase the amount of "pinch" on the jaws. I noticed that the jaws on your lock are splayed apart, which does not grip the flint very well, and tends to let it work loose. As I said in my earlier post, it can be remedied.

>>>>> Cascabel

There has been a recent influx of 200+ year old flints from the British armory in Nepal. I have several I bought from a friend of mine and they are still turning up on different gun forums. These are huge musket flints. I bought some English black flints and a few French amber ones too. They are too big for even my L&R trade gun lock. At any rate, these are available still if you look around some, and will fit the lock you have I'd bet. Nice lock too. Those Spanish Escopeta guns stocked in Catalan style are way cool, I've wanted one for years but never had the bucks to put up for one.

Bo

I don't have one of their catalogs, I tried to call them for 3 weeks to try and order one but never had any luck getting them to pick up or return calls (big surprise). Ill see if they have anything on their site. I was in favor of a buss to keep the gun short as well as having a soft spot in my heart for a full sized buss. By the way what is the OD of your buss at the muzzle?

id.jpg

I don't have one of their catalogs, I tried to call them for 3 weeks to try and order one but never had any luck getting them to pick up or return calls (big surprise). Ill see if they have anything on their site. I was in favor of a buss to keep the gun short as well as having a soft spot in my heart for a full sized buss. By the way what is the OD of your buss at the muzzle?

Mine is 1 7/8" at the muzzle, 18" long.

>>>> Cascabel