Non Euopean costuming.

onus-one-eye

Lady Constance and I have been tossing around the idea of making me a "Non european" outfit.

So we did some research and decided to take some ideas from the Ottoman Empire.

Last night we made a pair of Salwars. Now here comes the kicker, they are HUGE.

When I say huge I mean i could house a family of 4 in them. I was wondering if anyone knows if

they tucked the extra in or rolled them in the waist, otherwise im going to be tripping on my pants.

I will try and post some pictures later .

Found some pictures for reference but it's hard to tell. The pictures show them going the full length down to the footwear but doesn't look rolled. It looks almost like a drawstring pull covered by the footwear. I'll keep looking and if I find a better picture I'll post the link for you

Hmm, mine are full, and there has been reference to the "duck butt" among people who make & wear these, but it sounds like maybe yours are a bit too large? Or is the fabric stiff? Was the fabric pre-washed before they were made? Maybe you can wash them to soften and they'll behave better?

You may have room to take them in a bit if you've already tried softening them, the trick is making sure there is enough space to sit down without splitting them out either in the seat or knees.

Good luck! It'll be a great sight to see!

Thanks, the hole where your foot goes through is tight. what im looking for is a way to control the legs and crotch wich balloons out.. The waist uses a drawstring and the foot hole uses a button or drawstring.

welllllllllllll... we did research too....and i found my math mistake...instead of 45 wide fabric, we used 54.... so the crotch gusset is like extra huge.....

but... when onus tucks a flap of it in the pants, looks like really cool....

adn we finished the caftan--which looks awesome....and the print is eye popping..( which is historically correct for 16-17th century)

i will never get the pics up... never happen..

onus, that is YOUR job! i just do the sewing....

• 3 weeks later...

O-O-E

A different look and it looks great. Just add a nice curved dagger in your sash. B)

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Sorry, I forgot my camera yesterday. The dagger is still there and I'll get the photos tomorrow. The owner and I have struck a deal on some other stuff so I'll be there tomorrow for that anyway. I will get the photos and maybe even have a better price than what is on it now. It is an older (ca. 1970s)India made tourist piece but not totally useless. It has a red velvet covered scabbard that has seen some age but not use or abuse so it doesn't look brand-new. Asking price I think was $21, but I think I can get it for a little less. :rolleyes:

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

MISSING!!!

It looks like the flea market owner got hit by shoplifters yeseterday. He is missing two knives, some rings and other jewelry, and some coins from a case this morning. The one I was going to photograph is among the items missing. Not a happy man today. Sorry about the build-up for nothing.

Bo

MISSING!!!

It looks like the flea market owner got hit by shoplifters yeseterday. He is missing two knives, some rings and other jewelry, and some coins from a case this morning. The one I was going to photograph is among the items missing. Not a happy man today. Sorry about the build-up for nothing.

Bo

Shoplift... sounds more like a major heist. :D

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Yes it actually was. Some of the coins were silver dollars and worth quite a bit. The knife wasn't woth much, neither was the other one but they were both on top of the showcase. The lock on the sliding doors had been very neatly picked and was still lying on the floor. He was scheduled to have a new security camera system installed next week, but it won't help on this one.

He will be on the look-out for "pyratey" stuff for me though (He's my ex-wife's "new" husband. Strange I know but we all get along really well).

Bo

Onus do you want me to bring some white cotton cord to the fort and help you make knot buttons and frogs? Or maybe some 6mm hemp? I know a guy that might have some we could get on the cheap.

Untill we meet again may you have fair winds and following seas.

Y.M.H.S.

C-

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took me so long to reply Carl, we had a fire at the house while on vacation. White cotton frogs sound great.

I'd also like to know if you would happen to have a shirt i could borrow for fort. It seems the cleanup crew bagged

mine up before I got to it.

Sorry it took me so long to reply Carl, we had a fire at the house while on vacation. White cotton frogs sound great.

I'd also like to know if you would happen to have a shirt i could borrow for fort. It seems the cleanup crew bagged

mine up before I got to it.

Hey, the bo'suns mate here. Bo'sun Carl has been busy working on the truck and packing and making rope for the tug o war, and making scotch eggs. So he has not read this I guess. I will make sure he knows you need a shirt and have him pack a couple of options for you sir! Hope all is going well with the clean up. Lady Constance told us. We are so sorry! Just thank God it was not worse and all are okay.