17th Century Maritime Art by Willem Van De Velde the Elder

Since many of us use period paintings as primary resources, I figured these might be helpful, or at the very least cool to see. The artist is Dutch painter, Willem Van de Velde The Elder (1611-1693) who is most known for his paintings of naval battle scenes as well as port scenes and individuals etc. What I always liked about his art is the attention to detail that he adds in, such as figureheads, individual sailors etc. Although I don't think there is any record of him being in the New World, he lived right during the height of privateer/buccaneer activity and the very beginning of the GAOP in the Caribbean and the Main. If anyone wants to add more pics to this post feel free, I've put a few of my favorites. You can find more of his work at this link http://www.artcyclopedia.com , and search Willem Van de Velde the Elder, Enjoy!B)

-Tattooed John

WillemvandeVelde(I)_1291932985.jpg

Figures on Board Small Merchant Vessels

Figures on Board Small Merchant Vessels (1650- 1655)

DP800765.jpg

Peasants (17th century)

BHC0280.jpg

The Battle of the Sound (1668)

Edited by Tattooed John

-Tattooed John

"Although your letter does not deserve a reply, since you call me a corsair,

I write you these few lines to ask you to come quickly.

We are waiting for you with great pleasure and we have powder and ball with which to receive you."

-Sir Henry Morgan

Interesting hats. Not a tricorn amongst 'em. I wonder if that's because it was drawn in the Netherlands? (Or perhaps it's the era. I'm by no means a hat expert, but they all look a more like my hat than what most people choose.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG