Trailer options

Dutchman

hey folks,

ok- its time to reorganize the trailer. its a 6x12 box that we keep all our stuff in, and load up with others stuff and more stuff, then some more... so anyhow this weekend, we had to load in the back of a truck which if you have seen us travel know how fun that was. Anyhow it got me thinking. how does everyone move their gear and how do they have their vehicles set up to move it?

Easy travel lighter... It is more authentic, and if more folks learned to do more with less rather than stack on more stuff that doesn't used, it would improve many impressions overall... But then my minimalist opinions have never been popular around here.

Edit: Using a segmented poles, my wife and I can re-enact quite comfortably over a three day weekend driving in my Honda Civic. :P It gets well over 30 MPG.... I guarantee those with trucks and trailers can's say the same. Trucks and trailers should be for hauling small watercraft, not palatial tents and camp furniture.

Michael_banner.jpg

i would say take less on longer trips perhaps so that you could take a smaller vehicle....one thing i know you get stuck with dutch, is taking alot of csf stuff........perhaps we could aplit the laod up some between some people...if im not in your truck or with someone else, i usually have some room left.............also, i do wonder, are there anythings you take that dont get used much? even csf stuff, iv been guilty of taking stuff that does not but sit...trying to sort it out myself.....

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

*sigh* ummmm downsizing isn't an option. atleast not that the better half is aware of. now i'll admit the air conditioner for the tent is a bit much, but the air mattress sure is nice. Its not a problem packing other folks stuff- heavens knows we all couldnt have made a couple of events with out the trailer, but how do people have theirs packed? I know gunner put a false bottom in his trailer and stores the tent poles there.

*edit- BTW its going to be fun watching everyone downsize once luna is floating. one seabag and one small chest or smaller bag. of course the living history is already in place.

:P:P:lol: Yeah, right, Michael!!! Ye know better! As if it's possible for us t' travel lighter! :P

I have been accused of taking too much stuff with me. But think about it, when ye go to an event where there is historical camping you take your tent, cooking and eating stuff, chair or something to sit on or a few of them, clothes, weapons, hat, footwear, accesories like a table, writing desk with pen and ink and paper, various tools, tools of the trade if you do some demonstration like Navigation.... oh, need I go on? That adds up to be a lot!

I use to load up my stuff in my Jeep (God rest it's soul). I was able to fit in it my tent/poles/stakes, clothing chests, cot, quilts, cooking and eating utensils, sewing kits, hats, footwear, weapons, lanterns and candles, and several other items. No table, no chair, or anything else since I didn't have it yet.

One thing I laughed at that my former Commander use to say, jokingly but we all knew it was true: "The more stuff you get means you get a bigger vehicle, but getting that bigger vehicle means getting more stuff. Bad thing". LOL... he's right!

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

I have too many trailers and have been banned from buying any more to convert by Blondie. I actually got rid of three old boat trailers converted to rendyvoo rigs last year.

I normally use a 4X8 flatbed and have my tents and gear stashed neatly and packed tight in pick-up truck type cargo boxes that I can load and unload into the garage and shed. I tie the poles on top of the boxes.

I also have a 6'6"X10' foot flatbed for when I take the whole family and all the canvas, and haul stuff for others. Then we have the horse trailer...... :P

Anyhow, we have a hitch on the truck, but I never have put one on my little Lumina car, although it would pull my little 4X8 just fine. Usually when I go alone I can fit all my stuff in the backseat and leave the trunk free for the beer cooler. :lol:

Bo

I moved into college with my backpack. Did two weeks on the Appalachian trail, hooked a left at Peaks of Otter and walked into the college dorm with my pack. My roommate asked if i needed a hand bringing anything in- nope here it is. I left college with the same backpack and a laundry bag. I expanded.

Anyhow, the trailer loads lots of people and their gear. I'm just looking to see what other folks have come up with to secure their gear.

*sigh* ummmm downsizing isn't an option. atleast not that the better half is aware of. now i'll admit the air conditioner for the tent is a bit much, but the air mattress sure is nice. Its not a problem packing other folks stuff- heavens knows we all couldnt have made a couple of events with out the trailer, but how do people have theirs packed? I know gunner put a false bottom in his trailer and stores the tent poles there.

*edit- BTW its going to be fun watching everyone downsize once luna is floating. one seabag and one small chest or smaller bag. of course the living history is already in place.

Did you get a chance to look inside the Vigilant's trailer? They just re-fitted it for the gear they carry.

You want a crazy look at how to pack in gear, look at Duncan's trailer and some of the others, Nico and Jeff (QM). they've got shelving built into them for just about every box they carry. Call him and have him send pictures.

I haven't done anything with my trailer other than put a plastic shelf unit in that I tie down to one wall. I put my poles on the bottom shelf, couple of boxes on the second shelf and a few more boxes on the upper shelf. As for the rest, I try to even the weight balance in the trailer.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

i'm reluctant to put shelves in since no two folks have similarly sized gear boxes. If we add custom shelve for specific boxes we get hosed when we add others gear. sigh- this is a real head scratcher. I think we may just add more hitching rings and tie the loads in as we need them. A false floor is going in this weekend to stow poles under the deck.

i'm reluctant to put shelves in since no two folks have similarly sized gear boxes. If we add custom shelve for specific boxes we get hosed when we add others gear. sigh- this is a real head scratcher. I think we may just add more hitching rings and tie the loads in as we need them. A false floor is going in this weekend to stow poles under the deck.

the false floor is a neat idea.

As for shelves, you could still use them just don't make them compartmented. What I've seen our crew do is make shelf units that are the same size fore an aft to the side doors. Then tall or odd shaped stuff can stow in front part of the trailer. Then you can put the e-track down the inside of the shelves towards centerline to have adjustable drings and real heavy stuff (cannons) can stow down the center and be tied to the drings.

I think the shelving has both merits of being good idea and troublesome depending on what all you are caring.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

I think the false floor is a great idea, I've always really liked that about Callenish Gunner's trailer, as the tent (particularly the poles) is almost always the first thing that needs off loading. You may want to take that a step further and add a false roof as well for long muskets (if you regularly bring them or travel with folks that do). Or if you can think of other usefull things to stow in such a space (like rope)

Michael_banner.jpg

michael, i thought about the ceiling too. i want to see how much the floor eats for headroom. I think it's going to make it too low. If its a draw, i might use 2x6 instead of 2x4's for stringers as it would give a bit more false floor height and still leave at least a bit of head room.

• 6 months later...

Duchman , I have a Chevy Silverado full size 6' bed truck with a lumber rack & a Camper shell in addition I have a 6x10 enclosed single axle trailer which is stuffed with encampment stuff, which i need to sell and upgrade to a 6x16 or a 6x20 trailer, Double Axle w/Brake System. I disagree with michaels opinion with having a larger vehicle for commuting like truck and trailer, it does take alot more fuel, but if ya have alot of encampment furniture,props bed frames, cooking pots,poles canvas tents, dogs that weigh more than people do. ya needs a big truck to do it, plus you will always have something to pull a boat, and all those hondas that get stuck in the mud at events! Its the trucks that get em out!

Remember how long do you consider yourself re enacting, a few years? Longer maybe a long time (20 yrs +)? Do you want an encampment? are there other family members who will be doin events with you? if so you may want to up grade to a bigger rig. I thought a 6x10 enclosed trailer would be big enough, but over time the toys became more and bigger,this trailer became to small.

How much gear do you want to have? What re enacting events do you want to do? Some events i do can go up to 12 days., most are 4/6 days. I have a small Tavern set up, 2 canvas shelters and a shower, many weapons and a cannon. , depending on the time frame i will be living at an event. If space is limited it a wedge.if not i can go all out with a pavillion. full awnings and such. camp shower to.

I suggest get boxes that stack easily weather you use plastic or wood, the nice thing about wood boxes is yer ready to go either settin up or tearin down.easy load and unload. mark yer boxes so you know whats in em.take photos of the gear in each box hang em up inside yer trailer that way if time goes by and you forget what was in say the bottom box with alot of other things on top, just view yer photos of that particular box you seek. If you plan a Primitive event and everythings need to be period than wood boxes are the way to go. But remember weight and fuel prices are running high currently.

Its all in what one wants in re enacting., weather you want everything as far as an encampment to be a primitive atmosphere, I try to be (I enjoy being comfortable,clean and have privacy) Primitive with my set-up all the time so when i go to a pirate gathering or a rendezvous its the same set-up regardless. Remember the more crap we have the more comfortable you will be , but remember ya have to haul it and set it up.this all takes alot of time to set-up and tear-down. how much time do you want to do this and will you have help settin up?. also yer canvas shelter ya need to consider how many poles does it take to set up, where will you stick all these poles? so many things to consider mate, good luck!

Edited by PLUNDERING PYLOS PARKER

i started with a 4 x 8 tilt trailer with a 1500 pound rating i bought cheap years ago... over time, i ended up with higher sides... about 42"... i put 2 2x4's across the top to help stabilize the sides, and to give me a spot to tie down any long poles... placing the canvas in big cargo boxes is a good idea, but is not working out for me... they tend to take up a bit of room...since i am NOT going to upgrade to a bigger trailer, i am thinking of storing the canvas in ho-made canvas bags and then i can squish them under a seat in the van or use them as cushions or pillows... it's the squishability factor i am after...

we have also ended up with 4 chairs, two tables and a number of medium sized crates... when empty, the crates serve as additional seating and storage for non period type items... since i have not yet made the tent storage bags, i will have to see how the trailer will pack at the next outting and make amendments from there...

well i had custom racks put on the side of the steel/framing inside the trailer that collapse, and fold down when not in use..they are held up so ya have more head room to stack other items. 25 poles i can stick on this angle and i have more room to store more. the poles run the length of the trailer. i dont use this much any more since i now have a lumber rack.will post pics soon

It seems that all of us are trying to get two tons of fertilizer in a one ton truck. I have a roof rack on my Chevy HHR for all of the poles. Containers are convenient for keeping stuff together, but can be counter-productive. Cars are irregularly shaped on their insides, so containers tend to leave a lot of "free space" around them. If you have a trailer with vertical sides, this is not a problem. I pack all of the containers in the center of my vehicle, and fill in the voids with loose "conformable" things (tent, ground cover, ropes, etc). You can also use these things to fill any voids in the containers. And don't forget the Navy's tradition: roll your clothes, don't fold, they take up less room. In fact, roll all of your material items. I have tried vacuum sealed bags, maybe someone has had better luck with them than I have.

Edited by D B Couper

D.B. Couper

• 6 months later...

I know I'm jumping in on an old subject here .... but the season getting into gear so here's my 2 shillings ....

Don't do a false floor, it's hard on the headroom, as Mike said.

We were on the road for 40+ weeks a year with our 7'X14' 2 axle. I added a false wall for about 10' of the length of one side. With 3 shelves for poles, store fixtures and such. It's about 18" wide .... off the top of my head ..... the "wall" is 1/2" plywood. On the other side I put in more shelving the same width out from the wall for the trays of small stuff and some other display cases. There is still enough room in the middle for 1 cot and a walkway the other cot goes across the front. I built a large "chest" across the front wall of the trailer for bedding and other soft items .... it's built like a window seat & has 2 separate hinged lids.

I've got space for all the poles shelves, racks, plastic boxes of merchandise a clothes rack across the front for hanging stuff and I don't have to stoop over when I'm inside.

For the last year that we were on the road constantly, I got a marine battery and inverter and we ran a small flat screen and the computer as well as a fan and some lighting. Some of the comforts of home ...... a propane stove and a coffee pot and we were livin' it up.

We saved a ton of money on motels by living in the trailer when were at events.

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Edited by sutlerjon

Self Promoter Jim

Pirate Gear oldsutlerjohn.biz

American Civil War oldsutlerjohn.net