New impression Idea

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going with the stationary rig for now. I still would like to make the wheelbarrow rig, but I really like the impression of the scissors grinder with the pretty young lady seated in front of the grinder from the first page of this thread. Also, the grinder rig from the Whydah exhibit is a stationary rig. I am still in the design stages but will build the wheelbarrow rig so that all I will have to do is remove the wheel assembly and mount it on the frame so as to be interchangeable.

Looks really cool to me. It makes sense (to me at least) that a shipboard grinding wheel would be stationary. Probably the only time they would want to move it would be when they were careening. For a local city vendor, you probably do need your wheelbarrow rig, though. There's nothing quite like diversifying impressions to make a pirate groups display more interesting. (Nearly everybody has personal weapons; nobody I can recall seeing to date has a grinding stone.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

There's nothing quite like diversifying impressions to make a pirate groups display more interesting. (Nearly everybody has personal weapons; nobody I can recall seeing to date has a grinding stone.)

Agreed. I love this impression. The day to day, working additions to the hobby round out the vitality of the whole thing. Impressions like Silkie's Hide, Chloe's Coffe House, Bo's Grinding and Ivan Henry's father's Chicken Crier are awesome additions to events.

Everyone needs to experience the 'indentured washer woman' at Fort de Chartres to know what I'm talking about.

image.jpeg.6e5f24495b9d06c08a6a4e051c2bcc99.jpeg

I recieved my acceptance letter from the jury for the April trade faire at Fort de Chartres for this coming weekend. depending on my work schedule and how I feel by Thursday, I may take this show on the road for the first time. I have had to abandon my search for a job in education, just nothing out there with things as they are, so I have had to return to my old trade of electrician, and it hurts alot more than it used to. At least I am out in the world earning a wage again. I am looking at building the wheelbarrow rig also. It will be made to where one can simply remove the wheel and axle assembly and mount the stone to either stationery or mobile rig with a minimum of effort. Thanks for the compliments and encouragements.

Bo

I just found the wooden shoes at one of the local flea-markets and have not yet brought myself to bore a hole in them to use as the water dispenser. They are perfectly good wooden shoes and they actually fit Rose, so I am still looking for and old beat-up pair or single if anyone sees one or two for this purpose. Bo

Bo -

Although using a sabot as a dripper is practical, as shown in sketch, but would it give a too 'old world' look to your setup? Perhaps a copper pot or a gourd would be more in order.

Now, when are ye setting up? I've work for the grindman.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Here's another one. Slightly post GAOP.

gallery_19729_489_5755.jpg

Blade Sharpener Les Cris De Paris 1737-46 (Artist Comte de Caylus)

Any thoughts on the small diameter wheel on right-hand side? A balance weight, different grit, polish wheel, or a buffer?????

The larger grindstone looks as if it would be in the way of most work that would be performed on the smaller wheel. :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

theres another example here (this time german) from 1645-1700

AN00193392_001_l.jpg

I am wondering that that little sheath thing is that he has on his belt

Sorry, missed this'un 'til now

Looks like a cooks case of knives, I have summat very similar looking sets for my Henrican and Georgian cooks outfits, but given the subject it could also be steels, stones and or paddle strops for finishing/touching up razors knives and the like.

Edited by Grymm

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Here's another one. Slightly post GAOP.

gallery_19729_489_5755.jpg

Blade Sharpener Les Cris De Paris 1737-46 (Artist Comte de Caylus)

Any thoughts on the small diameter wheel on right-hand side? A balance weight, different grit, polish wheel, or a buffer?????

The larger grindstone looks as if it would be in the way of most work that would be performed on the smaller wheel. :huh:

Jas. Hook ;)

seen in other pics, maybe polishing or a hand crank break for starting stopping

bo, how do you get your wheel in motion?

William- no photography by participants while in period dress/personna. I won't be taking my camera but there are usually several people taking photos and providing links to albums for those who participate to access. I'll try to post something like that after the event if possible.

Mr. Hook- I have the little brass flowerpot I am currently using, and it will probably be just fine as-is. As to setting-up shop.... who knows what I'm going to do. Life just keeps getting more complicated for me these days. Still have to deal with all my brother Ed's junk piles and help his wife through the legal/insurance stuff too. Back to full-time electricianing and my body is really retaliating against it. Just not feeling much like playing right now. I was trying to get Ed back in the game to keep his mind occupied and positive before he up and died. kinda took the momentum out of it for me.

Mr. T- I usually either give it a thrust by hand or use the crank/axle to start it in motion.

Bo