linstock

if you're not looking for something fancy, one of the ones we use is essential a large dowel rod with a tapered end and a thin cut down the middle of the tapered end to hold the slow match. I think the handle end may have been turned on a lathe to fancy it up a bit.

Chaos, panic, pandemonium - my work here is done.

Master-At-Arms,

Crew Of The Vigilant

Baltimore Maryland Based

17th & 18th Century Naval Living History

Crew Of The Vigilant

• 2 weeks later...

A a couple of years ago, I found a brass dragon headed linstock at a sutler's booth. Like everything else these days, it was made in India. they are around, but don't seem to show up on google searches. That one, BTW, was the same one used in POTC 3, don't know which came first, the movie or the linstock. For earlier types, the wooden ones with the slot, google the Mary Rose linstocks. Or you vould do as I've also done, go to a reenactor blacksmith and have him custom make one for you.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

Would you happen to know the overall length on those? And that kind of looks like an iron spike on the end?? Any ideas of what it really is? copper or brass perhaps?

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Would you happen to know the overall length on those? And that kind of looks like an iron spike on the end?? Any ideas of what it really is? copper or brass perhaps?

they are 29" long and yes it is an iron spike on the end.

"linstock. On the small end is a pointed iron spike and it appears an iron ring is missing. The large end has a carved out channel with a quarter inch hole"

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

These are the originals of the ones I will be making. They are aparently from our period.

standard.jpg

You can probably find a pre-turned chair leg to make one very similar to the bottom one. All you have to do is slot the end. I would recommend a more V-shaped opening than shown here so that it grips the match properly.