is there a way to put a topic on here for people to stay away from poor business traders who screw ya out of things, ie -crafts,clothing,weapons ect related to 18th century pirate goods? so other re enactors dont get dont get ripped off. it seems like i wasnt the only person to get hit by this business-stay away from certain business fellow pirates.

While we all can sympathize with a deal gone bad, generally those particular topics have ended up as flames and ended with more upset people than should be allowed in any one town. Beware this is a small family and lots of folks know each other. Similar situations have occurred with events gone wrong or crew "X" upset crew "Y" and people have become members of the pub to defend themselves or continue adding gas to the fire. If its a trade that occurred through the pub, please try to work it out amongst yourselves, if that fails let a moderator or admin you are comfortable with know about it and they will try to help you through the problem- if it doesn't get resolved we'll let stynk know. Clear as mud-

Yeah, I agree with Dutchman. You're usually better off not airing your grievances publicly. It's kind of like that old kid's rhyme, "They are rubber, you are glue; everything you say bounces off them and sticks to you." (Even when you're sure you're right people seem to think less of you for starting a topic complaining about something.)

Now if someone asks for advice about a vendor...well that's a different matter if you focus on the facts of the deal gone bad and avoid calling that vendor names.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Eye was ripped off $ 250.00 for Beckets that were supposed to have been made when Eye was getting my sea chest built last year. The Guy Don't post here anymore and Eye spoke to Stynky about it. In the end it is a Buyer Beware because there is little recourse for the victims of internet fraud on this Site let alone the internet as a whole. Because it was only $250.00 , the FBI was not in the least interested and suggest Eye sue the guy. Well It just ain't worth it in cookies and Hard tack to do so interstate. The Boyo would have it coming ifen Eye ever saw him face to face . My Solution in the end is to have a list of reputable merchants.

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Eye, Its unfortunate that some deals can't be straightened out or honored. I know of two where a moderator knew the craftsmen and were able to get things worked out. On the other side, Mods and Admin can only do but so much and it it indeed buyer be ware. For a high dollar item I would suggest reference contacts, keep your correspondence- don't count on verbal agreements, and do your homework. It stinks to have to go through all that, but hey money doesn't grow on trees.

There have been some situations where people (on the Pub) who have had the best of intentions to honestly fulfill their (verbal/contractual) obligations. But for whatever reasons, after a few jobs they're either overwhelmed, by the work, demand or both and stop communicating.

As Dutchman says, this is a pretty small (intimate) community and you can bet that someone on the Pub has likely had dealings with whoever you're having problems with.

From time to time, a few of us have been called upon to make inquiries on the behalf of others. I would like to say that in most cases everything works out for the best, with either the original work being completed or a refund.

But like in Oderless Eye's case, some venders just drop off the face of the earth and disappear with your money.

My suggestion is to use Paypal whenever possible - there's at least a mechanism for lodging complaints and getting your money back.

That's an excellent point. I too have had good luck with Paypal retrieving funds from non-delivering vendors.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

It might also be worth enquiring whether it's possible to come to an arrangement which means not paying the full whack up front.

I'm not a vendor by any means, but I have had the odd commission for navigation kit from the Pub. My preferred method is to take no money up front, or a small deposit if I've got to get in extra stuff for the item. Once I've made the item I then send the buyer a photograph to let them know that it really is ready to ship, and I ship it once it's been paid for.

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk

I recently discovered there is a limit to PayPal refunds... You have up to 45 days from date of purchase to file a "dispute" requesting a refund... after 45 days you have no recourse. I discovered this days before the 45 day mark on a purchase of some miniatures my wife had tried to buy me for Christmas. Fortunately a nice person on another forum appraised me of the 45 day limit and the wife was able to take action for before the limit ran up. Not that this is particularly applicable to the discussion, but a few of you mentioned PayPal, and I just wanted to share the limitation it has.

Michael_banner.jpg

There is another side to this also. Problems can happen from either side of the transaction. I have had people tell me that they were interested in a product and then back out when I notified them that it was finished. I now require a deposit, but I try not to accept more than 50% up front on an order. This will help cover the materials if I need to purchase anything for an order and also it is enough to make sure the customer is serious.

Back in the day, before computers abducted everybody, I contracted as a designer/layout artist for the print industry. I found that asking for an up-front deposit, showed the customer that I was serious about doing business with them. And when they made a deposit towards their job - I could at least count on not being out anything for materials.

Later when working in software, I found it to be a similar dynamic.

Asking for/negotiating a deposit for custom work seems reasonable to me.

The only problem I have had as a seller was when i accidentally posted something as international surface mail rather than email. The maps I sent disappeard into the postal system only to reappear 2 months later just as i was about to send out replacements. I definately wouldnt recommend anything but airmail for international transactions

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

....and on PoDs behalf as the recipient of that one. We were both communicating and figuring out what happened. We identified it was a post issue and worked on a solution to fix what wasn't either of our fault. Communication is key if there is a problem.