Stupid question - shoes and boots

Elena

Thank you Foxe, its good to see a familiar face around here as well. I need to stop by more often. Also let me congratulate you on your publishing. True, history books do get it wrong from time to time. Although there are some well-documented facts in the book as well. I wasn’t trying to give the impression that all pirates wore boots and if they had them were worn on a ship. Situation does dictate the wardrobe, if you had the means, I mean. Just illustrating a fact that these certain types of boots were available during this time period. I could be wrong, but weren’t a certain percentage of these pirates out of work buccaneers? And weren’t buccaneers landsmen as well, originally that is. Again not to say that they all owned boots, but that they could have access to them and worn them when the situation arose.

Petee-2.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote Foxe for Senior Class President!

I have said my peace on this before, so I won't go into much detail

However

Everyone needs to seriously take a look at GAoP bucket boots.

Here are some from early 1700

d5294261l.jpg

1600s5.jpg

I realy like the sturdy look of the upper pare and the right one on the lower picture.

Does anyone have a idea or drawing of the layout of the extra layers of leather?

Edited by Korisios
gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

Now I've never been called the brightest boy in the boat, but wouldn't the presence of spurs be somewhat indicative that these boots were not intended for use at sea?

Who said I was going to use these for a pyrate impression???

Altough this forum might be called Pyracy.com there more kinds of reenactors roaming these posts, then just seafearing lad's and girls.

For all other discussions about boots and pyrates, I would suggest reading this thread from the start and reading the other nummereus discussions on the subject in this forum.

For me my persona is a 1710 Spanish officer in the colonial world (most likely with a fear for water) so my thought is that boots would be very wel possible...

Now I've never been called the brightest boy in the boat, but wouldn't the presence of spurs be somewhat indicative that these boots were not intended for use at sea?

Altough this forum might be called Pyracy.com there more kinds of reenactors roaming these posts, then just seafearing lad's and girls.

For all other discussions about boots and pyrates, I would suggest reading this thread from the start and reading the other nummereus discussions on the subject in this forum.

For me my persona is a 1710 Spanish officer in the colonial world (most likely with a fear for water) so my thought is that boots would be very wel possible...

Thank you for your kind and considered words.

In this forum called Pyracy.com there is a subforum called Captain Twill, which is described as being for "Academic talk, research, share, discuss, debate & argue maritime history." This thread is in that subforum.

Yes, I have read this thread from the start. It had been dead for a year and a half before you revived it with your first post to it. You did not include any information in that post about your persona or intended use.

I made a comment/query about the boots. Who said I was talking about your (hitherto unkown) persona and intent? In fact, since I made no effort to address your questions at all, who said my query was in any way directed towards you?

In other words: Is it really necessary to have a hairtrigger on the insults?

I've posted this before, year 1700, French exploration along the Pacific coast of South America, art by a hydrographer by the name of Duplesis:

http://www.bing.com/...CFF0E346551D51A

Maritime I'm pretty sure, and there is another if I can find it. I also posted this in the other boot thread years ago.

* (edited)*This is not intended as proof pyrates wore bucket boots, but rather that men at sea duty did in fact have some chance to wear tall boots ashore.

Use it for what it is or ignore it as you will. I tried.

Bo

Edited by Capt. Bo of the WTF co.

Thank you for your kind and considered words.

In this forum called Pyracy.com there is a subforum called Captain Twill, which is described as being for "Academic talk, research, share, discuss, debate & argue maritime history." This thread is in that subforum.

Yes, I have read this thread from the start. It had been dead for a year and a half before you revived it with your first post to it. You did not include any information in that post about your persona or intended use.

I made a comment/query about the boots. Who said I was talking about your (hitherto unkown) persona and intent? In fact, since I made no effort to address your questions at all, who said my query was in any way directed towards you?

In other words: Is it really necessary to have a hairtrigger on the insults?

For some reaon I did indeed felt adressed. If this and my response was out of place, then I apologize...