Transporting Swords

Desert Pyrate

Get a locking gun case that will fit it.

--------------

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty well preserved piece without an even a kiss your hand, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, smelling of powder, shouting ARRRG!!"

sig1.jpg

I'd say it depends on the cutlass. If it's a replica and at least somewhat well-built, then pack it in a bag with a bunch of clothes, etc. That's what I've done with mine. I figured that swords aren't exactly fragile, so I don't worry too much, as long as they're in some sort of padding that will prevent against bending. If you're extremely concerned for the safety of the sword, then I would suggest a hard rifle case.

Coastie :ph34r:

She was bigger and faster when under full sail

With a gale on the beam and the seas o'er the rail

sml_gallery_27_597_266212.jpg

Absolutely go with the locking rifle case. You can pick up a good one at any sporting goods store. Don't go cheap on it either ... unless you went cheap on the sword. I have had a couple of $500-$1000 blades in my time (another one coming) and have been mighty glad to travel with a case. Not only for theft protection, but even sturdy swords can be broken ... usually near the tip. That's a heartbreaker. :ph34r:

Wartooth

When hubby and I flew to the PIP Festival in Key West, we only brought one sword. I called the airline ahead of time, and the lady told me that as long as I had the sword sheathed and in a hard-sided locked box that would go into cargo, there would be no problem. Since it was a small cutlass, I put it into a hard leather briefcase with a rolling combination lock, and it was fine. The only thing I had to do was tell them what the combination was so that they could check it.

My advice is to call the airport and check in advance.

:ph34r:

Capt. WE Roberts

"I shall uphold my indignity with the utmost dignity befitting a person of my undignified station."

Just flew to Chicago with al my gear. had Cutlass, Dirk and replica pistol in checked bag. No problems at all.

Scupper

"That's the navy for you. Rum in the scuppers today. Blood in the scuppers tomorrow."

Thrist is a shameless disease. So here's to a shameful cure!

"Loyalty, honesty and directness are traits I admire. Insecurity, snipes and disrespect I will not tolerate in the least."

Sometimes they want locking, sometimes not, other times even tie wraps. It depends on the airline. Sometimes with locking you give them the key, sometimes you meet them in a holding area or wait for your name to be called to come unlock it. It varies airline to airline and even with whose on the shift.

What I do is call ahead and ask what the proceedure is. Soutwest Air told me that they like it when you present a business card showing that you are a reenactor. A week before the flight I bring in my suitcase empty and have it OK'd to transport my weaponry.

When you arrive at the airport, you need to tell them verbally what you have and let them tell you to take it out for inspection. Do it nice and slow, be pleasant and cooperative, some inspections are very cursory, others need detailed info, particularly when it comes to transporting flintlocks as they are not familiar with how they work. If you're traveling with blackpowder, it has to be shipped separately from the firearms.

And definitely go hardshell... the swordtips go right through the fabric luggag! :ph34r:

-Claire "Poison Quill" Warren

Pyrate Mum of Tales of the Seven Seas

www.talesofthesevenseas.com