Pirate Taverns

Matthew

During my historical pirate surgeon presentation, I spend the first few minutes explaining the GAoP and the differences between the buccaneers and the pirates of the Caribbean. I even use photos to distinguish between the two.

Yeah that is what others should do whyyy they don't do that in books... there is plenty of differnce between buccaneers and GAoP pirates.

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif

With regard to medicine there probably wasn't much difference, but I like to make the distinction. I also explain the difference between pirates and privateers to help explain why pirates would capture surgeons where privateers simply hired them on.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

This Sunday, I'm going to a lecture and program on 18th C taverns, along with a presentation on the archeological excavation of a period tavern, at Minuteman National Park, in Lexington, MA. It's an open presentaiton, starts at noon, so anyone in the area can go. I'll report back on anything interesting.

Hawkyns

Cannon add dignity to what otherwise would be merely an ugly brawl

I do what I do for my own reasons.

I do not require anyone to follow me.

I do not require society's approval for my actions or beliefs.

if I am to be judged, let me be judged in the pure light of history, not the harsh glare of modern trends.

rod_21.jpg

I know Silkie McDonough is looking for period documented support of candle-lit auctions at Ordinaries. If you happen to hear anything about auctions in Ordinaries or even in taverns, she'd probably appreciate it.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

The Wooden Horse, in New York City, was a "particular favorite of sailors," and was noted for "drunken brawls, sometimes involving knives, cutlasses, and pikes." Burrows and Wallace, Gotham, p. 54. The tavern was founded in the 1650s and stood until the great fire of 1776, spanning the whole Golden Age.

There's no specific reference to pirates there, as obviously any sailors with piratical inclinations or histories wouldn't talk about it openly. But to me it is almost inconceivable that Kidd would not have recruited at the Wooden Horse, having arrived in New York with most of his English crew lost to the press gang, and we all know how those New York City recruits turned out once they got within reach of easy booty in the Indian Ocean. Not to mention what they did when Culliford invited them to join his pirate crew.

The Wooden Horse, in New York City, was a "particular favorite of sailors," and was noted for "drunken brawls, sometimes involving knives, cutlasses, and pikes." Burrows and Wallace, Gotham, p. 54. The tavern was founded in the 1650s and stood until the great fire of 1776, spanning the whole Golden Age.

There's no specific reference to pirates there, as obviously any sailors with piratical inclinations or histories wouldn't talk about it openly. But to me it is almost inconceivable that Kidd would not have recruited at the Wooden Horse, having arrived in New York with most of his English crew lost to the press gang, and we all know how those New York City recruits turned out once they got within reach of easy booty in the Indian Ocean. Not to mention what they did when Culliford invited them to join his pirate crew.

I think that New York was so full of " red sea men" in 1690s that any sailor could be potential pirate and hence there was no matter which part of the town you hired crew there would allways be some pirates...

And well if enough drunk pirates could confess anything but what is the matter when even Governor did not care....

For fun of it I post one pyle pic to cheer up this tread's look.... accurate well not 100% but good looking and it gives the fleeling of how pirates were welcome to America in 1690-1700.

All know this but here are Tew and Governor of NY smoking and chatting

Pyle_pirate_tales.jpg

"I have not yet Begun To Fight!"
John Paul Jones

flag-christopher-condent.gif