Gathering clothing and accoutrements

Matthew

Hi my name is Matthew Krogh and I am looking to get into the hobby. I have a unit in mind but was hoping to get some input for sutlers and any ways to cut corners on cost by doing stuff myself (to a small degree). Any help or advice for this hobby (as opposed to Civil War reenacting which I did for 10 years) is appreciated! Thanks!

Regards,

MK

PS~My civil war confederate nickname was Bambi. I'm guessing that won't work in the pirate world, haha.

Bambi! Good lord. You definitely need to go with that.

For clothing, you can check out the vendor's thread here. There is a list with links to the vendor's website at the top. Most of the regular forum members are listed at the top of each category.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hey Bambi, you're the second Civil War re-enactor o have become acquainted with in recent months making the transition to this era....

Here's the bad news... very litle is available for this era "off the rack" that meets exacting tastes. If you are flexible, there is a lot available that is close enough though.

Really good items for trade or custom commission do appear in the" Thieves Market" section regularly. There are a ton of great artisans and crafters here... but as for many it is a sideline, availability can be hit or miss.

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey guys,

Yeah, I'm just tired of the same old with Civil War reenacting. Pirating sounds fun, lots of drinking and whoring I suppose. Basically, my research in the Civil War has been completed to fruition and I've been researching other time periods and historic trends which led me to this. I was raised on the Chesapeake so it only seems natural. Plus, I went to an MTA recently and the pirates and their ilk seemed pretty cool. I appreciate y'alls help and I'll look into some of those suggestions. In the meantime if you have any "old" repros you are interested in selling that would be good for me please let me know. What units are y'all with? Thanks, take care!

MK

Hey Matthew, welcome aboard matey!!

What size britches do you wear? I think I still have an old pair of breeches downstairs.....cant remember the size, but I got them from from my Dad from the 1776 Bicentenial, alas we are both a bit broader these days! You might be able to squeak by in them until you aquire what you need/want, or if your handy with a needle, convert them over to French Flys......

OR

tell me your size, I have a pair of French fly breeches that I wear ( im roughly a 36) I'll use em as a pattern and I can stitch up a pair...you add the buttons...

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Which units are we with? Units?! We're pirates. :P I personally favor 'loose' and 'hastily organized' to rules and such.

In fact, several of the people who have responded here are members of the Mercury crew. Some people aren't with any crew at all. Cross is with the Archangel crew (who are not pirates, but pirate hunters.) They were actually at MTA. They're more like a unit than many of the rest of us.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I wanna be on a crew, ooh ooh pick me pick me please please please!! Ooh ooh ooh...here, in the back!!

Kidding, there are a TON of great folks on this site, so help is a topic search or a question or two away!!

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Welcome Matthew ~

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Welcome aboard Matthew! Here you will find many a mate that are happy to have ye on their crew to be sure. If'in yer sizes be hard to find there are many options for you. There are many vendors here aside from the mates on the sight that can help you with clothing if none of the members have yer sizes.

We do not sell clothing ourselves but are armorers for many a Pirate and have an ever growing line of weapons. Our Boarding axes are carried and used by many a mate all over the world and we do make accurate replicas of many arms that were carried during the periods of the 1650s forward. If we can help you in any way we are all here for you mate.

Will King

Kings Forge and Muzzleloading

Mission - you said "Unit" rolleyes.gif

He said it first. I was just repeating.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Ahoy Matthew -

Welcome aboard matey.

;) Look at your CW kit and see what can be adjusted or modified, shirt, belt, jacket, pants, hat, etc. May not be exactly pc but is an inexpensive way to start a pirate kit.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

sea-pirate.jpg

I am inviting you "Before the Mast" and offering you my crew of the "Caribbean Siren", where you don't need any more clothes than the ones you can describe in writing ;)

We are always looking for new pirates (or privateers) ready to write a good story with us! (And not jealous if you join also another crew which asks from you more than sitting in front of your PC and writing a story with us).

Edited by Elena

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Units are far too organised for us on here, we’re more of an anarco-sydicalist commune. We take it in turns to be a sort of executive officer for the week……but all the decisions of that officer have to be ratified at a special bi-weekly meeting… ;)

Lambourne! Lambourne! Stop that man pissin' on the hedge, it's imported.

Welcome lad.

My suggestion is to "try on" a crew or two. I was with the mercury to start with. I then chose and was chosen by the Crewe of the Archangel. The Archangel is indeed about as close as a pyrate group gets to having "units" and we really don't have units, we have characters and ranks for the public but as a group it is generally majority vote.

Hey, thanks for your note. I wear size 34 or 36 but can probly rock a 38 if I have to. That's awesome that your dad was a reenactor too. I appreciate the offer, where are you located at? I am doing an event in Portsmouth on April 2 for the civil war if Hampton Roads is your area. I live in Richmond though.

Regards

Matthew

Hey Matthew, welcome aboard matey!!

What size britches do you wear? I think I still have an old pair of breeches downstairs.....cant remember the size, but I got them from from my Dad from the 1776 Bicentenial, alas we are both a bit broader these days! You might be able to squeak by in them until you aquire what you need/want, or if your handy with a needle, convert them over to French Flys......

OR

tell me your size, I have a pair of French fly breeches that I wear ( im roughly a 36) I'll use em as a pattern and I can stitch up a pair...you add the buttons...

Hey Bo,

Sizes 44 jacket, 36 trousers, 6'2" in height so I've got long arms and legs...Perfect for hacking away with a cutlass. Does anyone fence here by the way? I do that as a sport but I see many people do it at reenactments as part of the display.

Sizes would help us to help you. :rolleyes:

Welcome aboard. I gave up ACW reencating too.

Bo