Careening Camp Project

I am going to begin a project to create a careening camp that is as realistic as I can make it - sail tied to trees, contents of ship under it.... Well, the sail will probably be canvas. This would be the camp of sailors careening their sloop.

I would like to see any references that you might have on this type. I am particularly interested in what would have been taken off the ship (I have heard everything that wasn't nailed down) and what sorts of items would have been found under the sail cloth. Any references are appreciated. I am also interested on the size and shape of one of the smaller sails on a sloop.

Captain Lowther's Careening Camp

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

Moose -

Look at Wikipedia - Sail Plan (Shapes but not sizes) ;)

Jas. Hook :P

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Just found some good sail construction references. Any sail people out there know if this would be good for early 18th century?

Sail construction

and another

More sails #2

From 1629 (not GAOP) but showing a make shift tent camp.

1629 shipwrecked

Edited by Ivan Henry aka Moose

ihtcbanner.jpg

I will follow your description too, because I want later a story (ie a thread in my game) about carreening a pirate ship.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Mr. Herny....from where did you find those images?......and if your looking for what sails youd find on a sloop....google search the sloop welcome, sloop providence , and sloop friends good will.......in their photos they also have lots of what could be found on deck, and hypothetically taken on shore.......

-Israel Cross-

- Boatswain of the Archangel - .

Colonial Seaport Foundation

Crew of the Archangel

Ivan ,thanks for the images as one of the many projects i'm working on is attaching rope to sail cloth , i've got as far as putting a turned up hem around the cloth and about to attach the ropework shortly ,your first immage is what i'm looking for ,thanks for the reasearch.

I am particularly interested in what would have been taken off the ship (I have heard everything that wasn't nailed down) and what sorts of items would have been found under the sail cloth.

Not to be a smart-arse, but given the images of the position of ships being careened, you'd almost have to take everything not nailed down off the ship! Otherwise the lighter and more delicate objects would be smashed to bits by the heavier ones as they tumbled head-long into the side pivoting on the beach. Either that or you'd have to take a lot of time and rope lashing loose things left shipboard down. Besides, having all the extra weight of durable objects on the ship would just make it that much more difficult to tip the thing on its side.

So I don't think you really need a reference for that - logic will serve you there just as well. If you've ever moved a dresser with its drawers still in it, you will quickly grasp what I mean. (And I'll bet you didn't do that twice - at least not on purpose.) :P

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Willie Wobble -

Here is a link for a guy who made a sail for his bateau.

A lot of during construction photos... might be of help.

http://www.orbitals.com/self/history/sail/index.html

Jas. Hook :P

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

i'm working on is attaching rope to sail cloth , i've got as far as putting a turned up hem around the cloth and about to attach the ropework shortly ,your first immage is what i'm looking for ,thanks for the reasearch.

It's gotta be in the "Arts of Sailors" (kinda something like that...) By Hervey Garrett Smith that tells how to sew rope to the edge of a sail..... (Well it's not in "the Marlinspike Sailor"... and I can't find the other book right now......) There is a trick to get the rope to lay right... I did that for my sail/tarp, and it worked.... but can't remember if it was to twist the rope towards you as you sewed it, or away.....

If someone else can't find it quicker..... I will post when I can find it.

"The Arts of the Sailor - Knotting, Splicing and Ropework" p. 99 "Roping Canvas" and I believe this one is on-line now. I gave this information to someone on another forum last year and IIRC they stated that they could access it on-line. Hope this helps.

Also, at Lowes and other full-line hardware and paint stores you can get some really good flax canvas drop cloths for very little money. I bought one at Menards that is 9X12 for $18 and they have a multi pack with two 5X5s and a 7X14 for the same price. I use then for covering stuff and floor/ground cloths for the tents.They'd be good for an inexpensive investment for what you are doing, and they are not the modern weave, more "rustic" looking and natural grey color like linen.

Bo

The Adventure at Charles Town Landing might be a good model for a GAoP ship. It is based on coastal ships being built in America in the 2nd half of the 17th century. It is 73 feet long but only needed a small crew to work it.

I have the sail plan somewhere but you can get the idea from the pictures. It has five sails. Two of them are square sails that would work nicely as shelter.

BTW, since the ship would be on its side, nearly everything would have to be taken off. Anything left on might damage the ship or make it difficult to re-float it.

The Adventure at Charles Town Landing might be a good model for a GAoP ship. It is based on coastal ships being built in America in the 2nd half of the 17th century. It is 73 feet long but only needed a small crew to work it.

I have the sail plan somewhere but you can get the idea from the pictures. It has five sails. Two of them are square sails that would work nicely as shelter.

BTW, since the ship would be on its side, nearly everything would have to be taken off. Anything left on might damage the ship or make it difficult to re-float it.

THanks Mark! Got my eye on that top sail...

ihtcbanner.jpg

"The Arts of the Sailor - Knotting, Splicing and Ropework" p. 99 "Roping Canvas" and I believe this one is on-line now. I gave this information to someone on another forum last year and IIRC they stated that they could access it on-line. Hope this helps... Bo

Thanks Cap'n Bo for the tip.

I found this book on line and ordered it. ;)

Jas. Hook ;)

PM "Jolly Jack Tar" on here. He can help you w/ info on the Adventure.

(Edit: he posted right above me . . . pays to READ the whole thread before posting. ;) )

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg