Custom made 1758 Letter of Marque

PoD

This is a custom made King George the Second Letter of Marque I have just finished making for one of the bretheren.

It is 18"x25" like many of the original ones and has the strip of seals at the bottom like like original documents of the era too. It was researched as much as I could from actual letters or marque, royal charters and indentures to make it as authentic as possible. It is witnessed by William Pitt who was secretary of state in 1758 and George Anson who was Lord Admiral of the admiralty at this time too. All the signatures are actual reproductions of surviving examples.

It is printed on a heavyweight parchment vellum which feels and looks as close to an original 1715 vellum indenture that I could get (I know as i own one. Modern leather vellum seems very brittle compared to this 18th century one). It folds down into a more transportable 4.5" x 8.5" also based on surviving indentures of this period.

pylos1.jpg

pylos2.jpg

pylos3.jpg

pylos4.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

I've been trying to find a Spanish militia Captain's commission for the Upper Louisianna territory (Missouri) ca. 1780-1790 time frame. Haven't had any luck so far. Any leads you could point me to?

Bo

none whatsoever. Been scouring the net and books for a spanish letter of marque myself and havent found anything yet.

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

• 4 weeks later...

Having been a draftsman since before the AutoCAD days.....back when we actually did things by pencil & ink on a drafting table......I do appriciate the tallent you have with these documents. One wrong drop of ink and it's start all over.

Beautiful work PoD.....beautiful work