Stockings - the real stuff!

I have long been unhappy with tube socks that are supposed to be passable. My question, are they passable or completely wrong for 1600s - 1700s. I have turned up two extant examples that are radically different. They are sewn from fabric instead of knitted from yarn. Are we talking two actual types of stockings here or one correct and one incorrect? The other option could be that the pictures below are boot hose? I am confused and could use some more documentation / research.

Below are the examples I found of mid and late 1600s stocking.

hoseenglandlate17thcent.jpg

pairofstockingsenglishm.jpg

ihtcbanner.jpg

Greetings again Ivan H,

Here is a German website that has a pretty good handle on the history of "machine-loomed" stockings: http://www.german-ho...ndwirkstuhl.htm

A quick overview of this research website that gets to your interest: Though the Lee hand-knitting frame came about in 1598, machine loomed stockings perhaps more the way we'd recognize in today's reproductions do not seem to have come around until 1758 with the advent of Jedediah Strutt's double-face fabric (machined ribbing/'Derby ribs'). This leads me to believe that 17th century 'machine loomed' stockings didn't have the stretch ribbing their later descendants had, this is touched on in the timeline of the website above.

I'd say your best bet would be to go with hand-knit wool, here is a place that made a couple pair of hand-knit wool stockings that I'm very pleased with: http://www.bethlehem...ne-shopping.php

Of course you could go with Reconstructing History's fabric stockings pattern (linen cut on bias, seam up back), I made a few pair of these and I found them to be rather tedious projects – I can't seem to get the friggin' bagginess out of them even though this type of stocking is going to be baggy in certain areas no matter what: http://www.reconstructinghistory.com/products/rh001-cloth-hose-4

Good luck in your search, sorry I can't comment on the neat examples you posted above.

Brass

Edited by Brass

one of Morgan's Men, "Guantanamo Jack" Brass

"No peace beyond the line"

Sir,

One possibility is to make your own. I made my own bag hose when I was doing 42nd RHR. I took material (practiced with scrap first!) put it around my calves (leg parts) and stapled it roughly where I wanted to stitch. Then started sewing them, trying on as you go to adjust fit, until you are happy with them. I also used a ribbon to help keep them up (think garter straps) but I imagine breeches would be good enough to keep them up. I used the ribbon since I wore regimental tartan. Finished hose are worn below:

2nd42nd.jpg

I actually didnt have toes on these either, they came to roughly the ball of my foot.....hopefully this is a tad helpful!

Wes

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

I seem to remember that we had a stocking discussion a few months back, with some links to good vendors.

Regarding making your own, and patterns, Le Fleur de Lyse also has a "hose" pattern which works for stockings, too, if you aren't feeling skilled enough to do what Wes did. I think it's under the medieval section of patterns, but the design is still OK for our use. Making sure to cut on the bias is very important for fit, as it adds stretch, but sometimes, like Wes pointed out, there will be some bagginess. The set I made for my husband will never be tight, as the dimensions of his heel -vs- ankle just doesn't allow for a tight fit. It's just one thing you have to accept with cut hose/stockings. We are spoiled by elastic, lycra and spandex in to seeing a smooth line where the reality was probably a bit more wrinkly and baggy.

Jen

Forgot to add that I stapled and sewed up the back.....and dont forget to flatten the seams really good if your using thick material!!

OR

Send me a measurement of your legs from ankle to knee and I can probably stitch up a pair, just need to know what material you want them made from....

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

• 3 weeks later...

Sew cloth stockings are right, and knitted ones were available too...

But knitted stockings from the period are made differently, I believe on a knitting frame. There was a time when I was desperate for some correct stockings (knitted) but I think the cost to have someone do it the right way was $300+(they were reconstructing a knitting frame)

I think there was a pattern for cloth stocking floating around... somewhere.

Good luck!

Come aboard my pirate re-enacting site

http://www.gentlemenoffortune.com/

Where you will find lots of information on building your authentic Pirate Impression!

You can actually see a bit of "sag" on these....tighter sizing around the leg can help this....

Why no toes? And yep, that sag looks familiar. I think you have to have just the right leg shape for them to work perfectly. And then they stretch anyway!

• 2 weeks later...