Burgundian (Spanish) Cross emblem

Korisios

I am looking for examples and replicas of the Burgundian Spanish Cross that i can make or use as a badge for example for on a cartridge pouch.

Until now I have nothing that could be used for such.

Is there anyone who can point me to such an artefact or maybe even a reproduction?

Either brass brons or tin would be fine with me.

I can also maybe have someone cast these for me but even then I do need an example...

Thanks!

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

I am looking for examples and replicas of the Burgundian Spanish Cross that i can make or use as a badge for example for on a cartridge pouch.

Is there anyone who can point me to such an artefact or maybe even a reproduction?

I can also maybe have someone cast these for me but even then I do need an example...

Thanks!

you mean like the one on the flag or is it something different?

flag_1520-1785.jpg

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Thanks!

Korisios,

I have never seen a reference to the Burgundian cross being used on cartridge boxes or even cast into plates....only used on the Flag. If you have found reference to the emblem being used in another context, I would be very interested in what you have come across.

Cheers,

Adam C.

I've done a little bit of research and found this:

"Philip II wore the "Burgundy Cross" Armor (1551) created by his favorite armorer, Wolfgang Grosschedel of Bavaria, at the battle of St. Quentin in 1557 against the French—Philip's first major victory as king of Spain. This armor is part of a field garniture with supplementary pieces for jousting and equestrian armor with the same decoration. Its most distinctive feature is the repeating pattern based on the x-shaped cross on which St. Andrew was crucified. The cross, one of the heraldic emblems of the House of Burgundy which was closely linked to the Spanish Crown, is flanked by the insignia of the Golden Fleece. The Burgundy Cross armor is also seen in the full-length Portrait of Philip II (c. 1557) by Anthonius Mor. More than a century later it was chosen for Juan Carreño de Miranda's portrait of Philip's great grandson, Charles II in Armor (1681)."

41380479.jpg

It was also worn in 1681 by his great grandson Charles II of Spain

Carlos_II%2C_con_armadura_.jpg

bannerad.jpg

theres also this:

Arq1620.jpg

Harquebusier (begining of the XVII century) with a hat, prepared to fire his harquebus. He had a bandolier with ready-made doses of powder, a sword, a white shirt, a jacket o buff coat and a black trouser. He had also a flask for extra black powder and a small red cross of burgundy to define himself as a Spanish soldier.

http://usuarios.multimania.es/ao1617/weapon.html

bannerad.jpg

Ok this is what I am looking for:

med_gallery_11212_432_428429.jpg

med_gallery_11212_432_721360.jpg

The text and the images ar comming from the "partizan historical" book "The armies and Uniforms of Marlborough's Wars Vol 2" ISBN 1-85818-522-X.

From the image it looks as if it's a shield of arms with the Spanish cross behind it and a crown above it.

But I would love to get some detailes.

Looking at Spanish reenactors today, I havend found anyone sporting such a emblem on their pouch or anywhere else.

I quess no one ever attempted to make this thing.

In the worst case scenario we'l have to make it up ourselfs. working from other spanish coat of arms drawings.

Anyone fancy such a brass or brons casting or embossing job??

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

just checked everywhere i know and cant find any decent pictures of one (any pictures at all of one for that matter).

I should think that if anyone will make one for you they would want a pretty good reference picture.

I dont suppose the books you have mention any surviving examples in museums anywhere do they?

bannerad.jpg