What should I call my xB?

xB name  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which should I use?

• Rover
    • KwikSilver
    • Neither
    • Belam

I name ALL my cars. For some reason, I've had a HARD time naming my Scion xB . . . I've gone through dozens of names and none stick. After playing with several themes, I'm going full-bore pirate sloop. I'm detailing it here: http://www.newscionxb.com/123-2nd-gen-scion-xb-talk/8044-project-sloop.html

As ya'll are more "in-tune" with pirates and pirate history than most, so I'll ask here.

I am finally deciding between KwikSilver and Rover as the vehicle name (as mentioned in another thread).

-Rover is a direct and historical reference to what pirates of the GAoP oft referenced themselves as (rovers or sea rovers), plus I "rove" around a lot and LOVE driving. It was also the common term used for centuries for pirates and pirate ships/craft, sometimes as rovers and sometimes as sea rovers. For example of the twin meanings as the 2 main normal meanings: rover - definition of rover by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

rov·er 1 (rvr)n.1. a. One that roves; a wanderer.

b. A crewed or uncrewed vehicle, used especially in exploring the terrain of a planet and its satellites.

2. Sports A mark in archery selected by chance.

ro·ver 2 (rvr)n.1. A pirate.

2. A pirate vessel.

I used this for a while, but dropped it for the reason below:

(I love this name, but am somewhat concerned about people thinking "he really wanted a Land/Range Rover," when that isn't the case. That is like when I thought "JackRabbit" or "Jack's Rabbit," but dropped it b/c the famous VW product.)

Oh, and Rover would also be a subtle allusion to "Sea Dogs" (through the common use of Rover as a dog's name, a mahor association in the US)

-KwikSilver is a more complex meaning mixing the multifacted of mercury (the messenger god, the metal, and so forth), the wonderful hotrods of the 1950s were Mercury was cool, and the fact it is quick and silver. The spelling is Anglo-Dutch (and period-correct), as the Dutch spelled it Kwikzilver and is one of a number of English spelling variations (English wasn't yet really standardized). Plus more. This is what I've been using and have some ideas, but not as direct and simple as Rover.

(I like this name)

Edited by Tartan Jack

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

Shots:

IMG_0460.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0463.jpg

More pirate stuff is coming in next week, esp. as I install a bunch I am prepping now.

The name needs to be set, so I can integrate it into the vehicle in a number of places. Also, I am intentionally doing a mix of historic, "pop," and a "modern-spin" on historic elements.

For example, I made a canvas seabag to historic design, but included a modern drawstring w/ a plastic clasp and the strap uses parts of a modern satchel/messenger bag and is made from red canvas. Other stuff will be similar.

Well Rover doesn't make much sense since there is a Land Rover that's been on the market for decades and people call it Rover for short. So I think you're stuck with the other, unless you want people to think you're talking about your Land Rover instead.

Unfortunately, beyond that I've never gave my cars decent names, except for the Green Monster and Pos (Piece of Sh**). So I'm probably not much help since I don't like cars.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

With that profile, I'd call it Piglet. Or maybe Razorback. (It sort of reminds me of the Arkansas mascot.)

I never named my cars (and that last comment may explain why.) Even the Delorean was just 'the Delorean.'

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

Kwik anything sounds like a fast-mart chain from NJ. dry.gif

Rover sounds like a pet. dry.gif

Silver huh... how 'bout Piece of Eight or Silver Reale or Queen's/King's Revenge or Cutlass (no disrespect to GM's)

Hey you asked. :unsure:

Jas. Hook :wub:

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Love that one, Cascabel. Danged funny and apropos.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

While on it . . .

Previous cars:

85 Audi 5000 (Dr gray): Spectre

87 VW Vanagon (Dr gray): Spectre II

90 Mazda Miata (1960s-style Lotus Racing Green and yellow stripe): Fenix (Still own), formerly Polar Bear (used to be while)

95 Chrysler Cirrus (ocra-green, forget official name): Flying Ocra

97 Ford Taurus -given to by in-laws- (light blue) Blue Oval

2000 Ford Crown Vic (blue-green)- Cruiser

Also drove:

87 Dodge pickup: Constipated Pig (made groaning sounds)

Isuzu box truck (for work back in 1996): Moby Dick

Ryder box truck (drove on thousand mile trip, helping sister move): Cheddar

Also:

Father's BMW 5-series (gray-silver): Owl

Wife's Dodge Caravan (silver): Queen Anna's Revenge (her name is Anna)

Can't believe I've had this much trouble w/ the B . . .

LOVE the B, though! It, the Miata, and Vanagon (the 3rd Gen VW Bus) are my three favorites, all for different reasons and for different trips.

What about "Bedlam" . . . ?

The term came from the Bethlehem Royal Hospital- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bethlem_Royal_Hospital

It was the most famous madhouse in the British Empire and epitomizes the image of an asylum in the popular mind. It WAS around and was commonly known as Bedlam in the early 1700s (the Golden Age of Piracy), so is in-period too.

Plus, it flits w/ scikotics, plus the Sanitarium and Asylum shows (plus Pandemonium on the west coast).

It fits w/ the B of xB (xBedlam).

powder chest

That's a really good one. It matches the vehicle's shape quite well.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG