Pirate Bar Necessities

Ye be building a pirate bar (other then booze and wenches) what be else does yer bar need? To make this easier lets say this be yer own private bar not a pub for just any stow away to wander into.

What does a pirate bar need? What would be something Awesome you'd like to have in your bar?

Capn Antonio Malasses

It's been said "Never Trust a Skinny Chef" I say "Never Trust a Sober Pirate"

Really cool nautical signs....Replica ship models (the good ones, not the $4 flea market crap) Sea charts, Old maps, copies of broadsides for walls.....I guess it really depends on your taste and interest

I did just get a really cool map from the 1600's of Virginia printed out...thats going in a frame, plus I have a 1776 Bicentenial poster my Dad found in the basement of their new house, a map of the coast (East US) from the 1820's, some really nice work from P.o.D.....plus I found a neat wooden sign for "Flints Ales" in a dumpster....I'll try to get a picture up.

My wife is wanting to move, so it looks like I am gonna get to start over....still not sure how I feel about that!!!

Wes

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

My wife is wanting to move, so it looks like I am gonna get to start over....still not sure how I feel about that!!!

Wes

Yeah I told my wife we'd be in this house for 5 t0 7 years. This June will be 5 years but I've put SO MUCH work into this house especially my Pirate Basement that I don't want to move now. EVER! LOL!

The Maps and Charts are a GREAT idea. I'll have to start looking for some to frame on the walls. Awesome Idea!

Capn Antonio Malasses

Ye be building a pirate bar (other then booze and wenches) what be else does yer bar need? To make this easier lets say this be yer own private bar not a pub for just any stow away to wander into.

What does a pirate bar need? What would be something Awesome you'd like to have in your bar?

Capn Antonio Malasses

Barrels or kegs.

A parrot.

Admiralty models and charts are a must. I would add deck prisms for lighting, some ratlines, and powder kegs for tables. And if it was for me – a cedar or teak bar top caulked with oakum, a ship's bell (tarnished), lots of #12 cotton duck and hemp line, and a Geoff Hunt print or two.

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth [...] pausing before coffin warehouses [...] I feel the need to go to sea. [...] But never as a passanger, just a simple sailor before the mast." (Melville. Moby Dick. 1-3)

teak bar top caulked with oakum

Now that is a cool idea..Wish eye had thought of that when Eye built my table for the cove ~

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Some REALLY Great ideas here. Keep'em comin!

I posted some rough pics of the bar earlier. I decided to go with black marble tile for the bar top instead of wood to try and bring some color to the room.

We do have a barrel mounted in the wall that we are going to run filtered water out of. The talking parrot is a Really funny idea. We do have a little one running around however I think the vulgar parrot would be more appropo for this crew.

Love the Charts and Maps ideas! I currently have a black wooden table that I topped with an inlayed layer of Leather. Once the bar is done I plan to move on to carving a map into the leather.

Also I Love the Bell and rope ideas. Anyone know of cheap places to find them at?

Thanks for the great ideas. And more would be appreciated.

Capn Antonio Malasses

http://seasidetreasures.com/Bells/Brass_Bells.htm

- has some nice looking bells, from cheap (I wouldn't mind ruining with a patina medium) to over $500 (eek).

http://www.greenboatstuff.com/rotwco.html

- for hemp line and cordage - however, a cheaper alternative would be to use manila from your local hardware store. Just soak it in water a couple of times to get the kerosene smell out of it. I think I paid less than $.50 a foot for one inch twist for a photo shoot - compared to two bucks for hemp.

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth [...] pausing before coffin warehouses [...] I feel the need to go to sea. [...] But never as a passanger, just a simple sailor before the mast." (Melville. Moby Dick. 1-3)

Iffin' it were gonna be me own private bar, I'd hafta ha'e a few ol' fashioned lanterns hangin' from the rafters.

If ye can find the old style that use wax candles, I'm sure that battery-powered candle like lights yould work just as well...

"If I believed in fate, I wouldn't be playing with loaded dice..."

Add a few fake gun ports to the walls, have them open and hide silly pictures....muskets always look cool on the wall....If the wife finds a new house, I am thinking of making my own great cabin in the new basement.....

Iffin' it were gonna be me own private bar, I'd hafta ha'e a few ol' fashioned lanterns hangin' from the rafters.

If ye can find the old style that use wax candles, I'm sure that battery-powered candle like lights yould work just as well...

I'd LOVE to find some old lanterns. Since this is a basement bar I would probably hang them on the walls as opposed to hanging them from the rafters.

I have a few candle holders around but the lanterns are a cool idea.

Keep the ideas coming

Capn Antonio Malasses

I'd LOVE to find some old lanterns. Since this is a basement bar I would probably hang them on the walls as opposed to hanging them from the rafters.

I have a few candle holders around but the lanterns are a cool idea.

Keep the ideas coming Capn Antonio Malasses

Cap'n Tony -

Check out this lamp source -

www.earlyamericantin.com/aboutus.html

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Cap'n Tony -

Check out this lamp source -

www.earlyamericantin.com/aboutus.html

Jas. Hook ;)

Jas,

Those are some AWESOME lamps. I will definitely want to get a few to hang around my bar.

On a related note I think I'm starting to stray form the strictly historical bar. I have slowly been moving away as I found more and more things I like. It's tough to stay within the confines of what is "historical" without going "Wow that piece would look great in my bar" to something pirate themed but less then period accurate. That being said I don't want this project to sail off course but I want it to be fun.

Tonight I put the finishing touches on a few things and I'll take some pics to post. Keep Your ideas coming I'm always open to suggestions

Capn Antonio Malasses

Your actually building a personal bar, not a Tavern or Public House for period or historical events. Thus I would say you, as barkeep and head bill payer, get a bit of license as to how you decorate yer bar. I could (and almost have!!) easily fill my house with stuff I think is neat, cool, and or other.....too many neat time periods out there, and hard to stay narrowed down. Good thing the wife has a level head, or my house would look like a historic garage sale or thrift store....

Bright,

You've done it again! Just AWESOME Stuff! Definitely going to need a few functioning barrels. WISH I had the space and ability to make my own rum. That would be AWESOME. The bottles are cool too and I LOVE the sign.

Capn Antonio Malasses

Edited by Capn Antonio Malasses

Lets not forget good tunes to set the mood ;-}

LOL! Great Song

The sound system is already installed and I do have a load of pirate tunes on me iPod

Capn Antonio Malasses

You can do something like this:

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/barrelends.html - by placing a bladder inside them you could make them working as well.

Here are some other ideas for barrels, including barrel chairs.

http://www.kentuckybarrels.com/uses.html

You can do a lot of these things yourself.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

Cap'n Tony

More on barrels.

These folks were at the LI Pirate Fest a while back. I just located their card.

1000oaksbarrel.com

Jas. Hook :D

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Cap'n Tony

More on barrels.

These folks were at the LI Pirate Fest a while back. I just located their card.

1000oaksbarrel.com

Jas. Hook :unsure:

Thanks Jas! A crewmate and I are currently discussing brewing our own beer and RUM. Oak Barrels will definitely be needed. And for them to be functional would work on multiple levels.

Thanks Again

Capn Antonio Malasses