Does anybody know how much building a ship lasted?

Elena

Yes, I need to know how many months (average) building a ship lasted in the Age of Sail...

I know it might depend on the ship's size, but let's say a frigate... or a sloop of war... something average.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

Yes, I need to know how many months (average) building a ship lasted in the Age of Sail...

I know it might depend on the ship's size, but let's say a frigate... or a sloop of war... something average.

It took three years to build the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). It also took three years to build the original Constellation between when it was ordered and launched. Those were large frigates built in the 1790s.

The HMS Victory is a ship of the line. It was begun in 1759 and launched in 1765.

On the low end, the Sea Venture, one of the supply ships for Jamestown, was wrecked in Bermuda in July, 1609. The survivors stripped it and used the salvage to build two new, smaller ships - the Deliverance and the Patience. That took ten months working without a shipyard.

Thank you very much. Your help is greatly appreciated. I saw somewhere that a third rate lasted about 18-24 months.

BTMnewad.jpg
-A swashbuckling adventures RPG, set in 1720 in West Indies; winner of Distant Fantasies& RPG-D Member's Choice Award; RPG Conference's Originality Award; 2011 & 2012 Simming Prizes-

• 2 weeks later...
It took three years to build the USS Constitution (Old Ironsides). It also took three years to build the original Constellation between when it was ordered and launched. Those were large frigates built in the 1790s.

The HMS Victory is a ship of the line. It was begun in 1759 and launched in 1765.

On the low end, the Sea Venture, one of the supply ships for Jamestown, was wrecked in Bermuda in July, 1609. The survivors stripped it and used the salvage to build two new, smaller ships - the Deliverance and the Patience. That took ten months working without a shipyard.

They were perhaps hampered by lack of dockyard facilities, but were probably assisted by the lack of Government red-tape and form-filling...

Foxe

"With this Fore-Staff he fansies he does Wonders, when, God knows, it amounts to no more but only to solve that simple Question, Where are we? Which every chi'd in London can tell you." - Ned Ward The Wooden World Dissected, 1707

ETFox.co.uk