wes1761

Making up these Spatula Mundani for the good Dr. Mission:

The first:

CIMG2909.jpg

The second, has tweezer end as best as I could tell from drawing:

Surgicaltweezer.jpg

Tried to blow it up some:

Surgicaltweezer-1.jpg

These little barnacles are actually quite fun to make!!

A few more to come as I get workshop time....

Edited by wes1761

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Awesome work Wes!

It's great to see his collection growing, specially since they are being made by someone in the community! I know I always favour the items made by folks I know, and I am fairly certain Mission tends to have similar views regarding that... Even if he is hearing birds sing.... ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Making up these Spatula Mundani for the good Dr. Mission:

The first:

The second, has tweezer end as best as I could tell from drawing:

Surgicaltweezer.jpg

Tried to blow it up some:

Surgicaltweezer-1.jpg

These little barnacles are actually quite fun to make!!

A few more to come as I get workshop time....

A couple of friends of mine who do early 17th century have instruments lie this. The one end is an oval and it is used for clearing the bowels. These were based on one found at Henricus Colony, a satellite colony of Jamestown in the Richmond area.

Wow! Excellent!

I also prefer things made by others because they then become "the Wes original spatula Mundani" or "the Michael Bagley original line of clothing" or "the Patrick Hand original hat" or "the Peter Chaaps original fleam stick" in the Pirate Surgeon's Journals. Not only does this recognize craftsman, it fills lots of space. (And if there's one thing the SJs need to be, it's longer.) ;)

Oh, and it's why do birds suddenly appear, not sing. It's from an old Carpenter's song.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

I need to write up a web page explaining them. The newer one is a Spatula Mundani, which was designed by John Woodall, author the surgions journal. As Wikipedia explains, it is "...an iron tool slightly longer than 12 inches and consisted of a paddle at one end. The other end was spoon-shaped, with the center removed and a knob at the end. The spoon end was used to extract the "hard excrements" while the other was used for applying ointments, no doubt necessary after undergoing a procedure with this instrument." I don't know the name of the other instrument, although Woodall has drawings of it as well. It basically serves the same purpose.

The term mundani is apparently derived from the archaic term mundify which appeared in a dictionary from 1604 with the definition 'to make clean'."

Remember...you asked. ;)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I now understand the phrase...Ignorance is Bliss......and I will NEVER trust my Doctor....unless its Mr. Mission....then I can at least identify the instruments!!!

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

I now understand the phrase...Ignorance is Bliss......and I will NEVER trust my Doctor....unless its Mr. Mission....then I can at least identify the instruments!!!

Mr. Mission is the LAST doctor you should trust... A patient once went to him with complaints of a headache... He pulled out a bone saw he could perfectly identify the name of... B) I don't want to shock anyone by mentioning some of the other tools and practices he has perfectly named to cure such things as bullet wounds (a clyster, wasn't it?).... B)

As I sit here rereading what I am about to post, I think to myself.... Damn! I actually do learn stuff from the Surgeon's Journals!

Michael_banner.jpg

The Surgeon's Journals are much more amusing than WebMD, I assure you. WebMD has never covered either the Smurfs or Kim Possible AFAIK.

Actually, these tools Wes has so kindly agreed to make for me work hand in glove with the clyster. John Woodall drones on for pages about the sailor's...lower gastrointestinal track...and what must be done to and/or for it. So I am just honoring one of my mentors.

Drilling holes in the head was also prescribed for migranes. Seriously. (Have you ever had a really bad migrane? I mean think about it, man!)

Oh, that reminds me, Wes. I have another project I want to ask you about...

Mission_banner5.JPG

It's not quite a PoD original but I commissioned this piece for Mr Mission from a friend of mine.

fleam.jpg

An exact replica of an early Italian fleam for bloodletting, great design, all wrought iron, length 16 cm

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

It's not quite a PoD original but I commissioned this piece for Mr Mission from a friend of mine.

fleam.jpg

An exact replica of an early Italian fleam for bloodletting, great design, all wrought iron, length 16 cm

Isn't that beautiful? I love the curliques on parts. I have a pair of forceps like that as well.

Mission_banner5.JPG

fleam.jpg

Isn't that beautiful? I love the curliques on parts. I have a pair of forceps like that as well.

Beautiful indeed :rolleyes: ...now about the forceps....don't make me put a curse on you....:rolleyes:

Gypsy_Dance_by_depplosion.jpgicon20tarotcardpoker-1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I received my four new instruments from Wes, so I thought I'd put a photo of them up with the associated instruments in a fitting setting.

Proctology%20Instruments1.jpg

While I'm at, Peter Chaaps kindly made me a fleam stick, which is a sort of wooden hammer for driving the pointy fleams into the skin, so I thought I'd post a shot of that as well.

fleam_stick1.jpg

Pretty spiffy, eh?

Mission_banner5.JPG

very cool. Do you want me to post that fleam i got you made or do you want to collect it when you come over? (just dont put it in you hand luggage on the plane ha ha)

bannerad.jpg

...and then I discovered the wine...

Why don't I pick it up in July? Maybe I'll bring my shiny new fleam stick and we can breathe a few veins for the tourists.

Mission_banner5.JPG