Blackbeard

Jas. Hook

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 2 weeks later...

Despite its inexplicable historical errors and HUGE leaps, like it makes no reference to what happened to the Queen Anne's Revenge after Charleston (it just vanishes and Blackbeard keeps his sloop (which isn't really explained where he got it from, the last time we saw him on one like it he gave it to the Concorde's former crew when it became the QAR.

Still, it is probably the best and most serious attempt at making an accurate pirate movie. The issues mainly come from lack-o-budget on it's made-for-TV (National Geographic and BBC) scale for something that is VERY expensive to film right. As my uncle works in film and has done much TV film (PM me if you want details), I somewhat understand the problems and limitations inherent in the format.

Of ALL the pirate films I own (inc. Black Swan, Blood, SeaHawks, the PotC film and twin sequels), and the rest, this Blackbeard one remains one of my absolute favorites and one of the few that actually show pirates pirating . . .

It is also one that shows pirate as thinking warrior and not some random raging lunatic.

I like it, having actually watched it several times and having my kids watch it on the way to Charleston for a day-trip last weekend.

-John "Tartan Jack" Wages, of South Carolina

178804A2-CB54-4706-8CD9-7B8196F1CBD4.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

I ordered the program on CD and watched it the other night. A bit choppy but a fun watch for an evening tide.

Some Frenchmen just never get a break. Maynard was a bit less than a dashing naval figure, just a lucky putz. :D

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 1 month later...