Scrimshaw

oderlesseye

This almost complete work Was done by Darrel Morris , An Artist who approached me at Escondido Ren Fair last year. Back then he was making naked images of Women and has since switched to pirates. Eye Know Scrimshaw was more popular during the Whaling years..but Eye wonder if it was a practice during GAOP?

182228_145460358847551_100001507634126_269744_8364888_n.jpg

181496_145460638847523_100001507634126_269746_5107354_n.jpg

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

This almost complete work Was done by Darrel Morris , An Artist who approached me at Escondido Ren Fair last year. Back then he was making naked images of Women and has since switched to pirates. Eye Know Scrimshaw was more popular during the Whaling years..but Eye wonder if it was a practice during GAOP?

182228_145460358847551_100001507634126_269744_8364888_n.jpg

181496_145460638847523_100001507634126_269746_5107354_n.jpg

Don't quote me but....I imagine as long as sailors been sailin' they been recordin' their journies on Bone or Ivory....Nice likeness by the way....saw one just like it in the Post Office today...Not carved, just a picture.........Yaaaaaaaarrrrrrr.

galleon_25235_th1.gif Iron Hand's Plunder Purveyor of Quality Goodes of questionable origins

I'm not sure if it is "period" of not, but remember, people also did scrimshaw on powder horns...

Anyway, if anyone wants to practice doing some scrimshaw of their own, you can scratch a design onto a white or light colored Bic lighter, and then rub ink or pencil lead (graphite) into the design. Hey, it does take some practice to get the scratches right,and to be able to work on a curved surface....But lighters are common and cheap enough to use.

The picture of Darrel Morris's work is fantastic, but you know he hadda start somewhere.... ;)

This example of Scrimshaw is of non other than Talderoy!

Another fyne piece of artistry by Darrel Morris

180109_145346068860037_103848266343151_277486_1335488_n.jpg

Edited by oderlesseye

http://www.myspace.com/oderlesseye
http://www.facebook....esseye?ref=name
Noquarter2copy.jpg
Hangin at Execution dock awaits. May yer Life be a long and joyous adventure in gettin there!
As he was about to face the gallows there, the pirate is said to have tossed a sheaf of papers into the crowd, taunting his audience with these final words:

"My treasure to he who can understand."

Yes. You can practice scrimshaw on most plastics. Plastic spoons are a popular choice for teaching children to scrimshaw.

The word originated on board whaling ships but the art of engraving bone and ivory goes back to the stone age. I can't say if this art was practiced on board ships during the GAoP but the tools and materials have pretty much always existed so it wouldn't surprise me if it was. It would be dificult to prove though. But remember that the fact that there is no surviving examples doesn't mean it wasn't done. It just means that no examples have survived that can be documented to have originated on a pirate ship.

I can tell ye for a fact how difficult scrimshaw can be, especially to get that level of detail. I was trying out stippling with some good effect afore I stopped scrimshanding. Still got that callus on me finger from it, and I stopped in the early 90's. Odd thing is that many former scrimmers went on and caught the flintknapping bug, as happened with me. However, I have not tried knapping in the winter, not even to experience firsthand what the ice age must have been like.

At the moment, here, we seem to have entered an "inter-glacial period"...means we're thawing out.

Damn, thats sharp!