Piping..?

Korisios

I know it's the wrong way around to have an idea and then try to find info to back it up.

But i am gona ask it anyhowe...;)

I do have books with Spanish uniform drawings one of them shows a militia uniform from around 1774 having green piping around the button holes with thoos clover shapes.

This made me wandering if theres any evidence for this practise earlyer in the 18th century??

Learning from my enbroiderybook it is clear that the technique of sowing thicker thread on to the curface of clothing was done in combination with other enboidery techniques.

But as a stand alone idea I don't know... Then again many officer uniforms have the edges, button holes, buttons and pocket flaps lined with gold bullion tape almost in the same fasion as the later golden piping on uniforms. So to me it looks as a small step to use also golden cord for that...

gallery_11212_490_27192.jpg

question for you....

do you just want it to looook like period?

or

are you going for actual dead on accuracy, has to be right and certain people must approve, guild/ re enactor blessing/ personal satisfaction, money and time to toss at project?

whom are you trying to please?

do you have ANY photo where you can get close ups--as in are there any surviving period ones that have been photgraphed that you can look and SEEE how they actually did that particular jacket...

and yes, the embroidery tecniques back then are incredible!!! my research shows that the pieces were cut then given to person to embroider the pattern ---then garment assembled.....

i do suspect that if thread is embroidered over for depth over the joining seams, it was done after construction...

and it might be that it was added after the garment was perhaps fraying at the seams to hide wear....(my nsho)

I've not see piping, but I have seen plenty of couching on outfits. Even couching with a satin stitch.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!