Put-in-Bay Ohio 2011

michaelsbagley

I was just thinking about the battle scenarios (in light of the discussion on the Key West FTPI FB page) and thinking who much I liked having it in the middle of the park like they did last year. Hmm. I guess that's not a suggestion. If I were to attempt a surgery demonstration on a post-battle victim, that would probably be the event I'd like to try it at. We'd need a stretcher - like the ones they used in The Good, The Bad and the Ugly? :)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Misson, I do like this idea. You running to the aid of the injured folk as they screem for help (or cry like a girl in some cases)! Also, we women folk can also 'pick through of the dead' after the battle...this give those without guns to participate in the battle..

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

I want a patient who can act, though. It's the patient, not the surgeon, who has to sell it. :)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I want a patient who can act, though. It's the patient, not the surgeon, who has to sell it. :)

Really?! What's their motivation?! I think the concept of pain isn't anything new to any of us...perhaps we can have a someone be a little bit 'off their muster' and start rambling about his brother or his mother...

Then you can say that 'the subject must have been struck in the head...due to their ramblings...."

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Pain may not be new to anyone, but I have seen one too many surgical presentations where the patient just sort of lies there. (I imagine you'd be just about hoarse by the end of a real surgery sans anesthesia.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

A patient just sort of lying there? Hmmm... most scenarios that we did in the NWTA, the wounded being worked on were squirming all over the place, taking several people (at least) to literally hold the person down. Be that what you want, Mission? :)

Aye, Michael. Though not Pirate events that weekend, lots of other events that some are not historically minded... mind you.

You said there's a website, aye? Be there a link for it? I'll put it up on the Resurrection's website links.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

since the sponsors of the event seemed to bend over backwards for the reenactors ( place to camp, food !!, free transport on the ferry, golf cart, and much more) i am probably leaning towards our own involvement and what we could do as reenactors to help make the event more memorable due to our participation...

of course right now i am drawing a blank ( i'll blame it on the cold thing )

I think it would be neat to see some new presentations that you don't often see. Last year Mary was doing a really neat writing and sealing display at this event. By way of other examples, at the Fort Taylor Invasion this year, the twins were doing a washing and candle-making display. There were also knot tying and baggywrinkle-making displays at the event. At Brigand's grove there was a really nice navigation display. I also think back to the halcyon days of Pirates of Paynetown when there was a parson with an indentured servant, both of whom were usually in character. There are lots opportunities to create displays. I've yet to see a sail-making display. (At least I can't think of having seen one.) Yet this was a crucial role on a ship, along with the carpenter.

Mission_banner5.JPG

So it was pointed out to me that the official dates are posted on the Island's tourism web site...

And the dates are the weekend of June 23-24.

The Festival web site is mentioned/linked in a post in the middle of the first page of this topic. I would repost it, but the mobile device makes that difficult, so it will have to wait until I am at home... or if someone else beats me to it.

Okay I had time... it was on page 2 and not page 1 as I thought, and as of the date of this post, the web site has not been updated for 2012... but the link is... http://www.pyratefest.co/

Enjoy

Michael_banner.jpg

I think it would be neat to see some new presentations that you don't often see. Last year Mary was doing a really neat writing and sealing display at this event. By way of other examples, at the Fort Taylor Invasion this year, the twins were doing a washing and candle-making display. There were also knot tying and baggywrinkle-making displays at the event. At Brigand's grove there was a really nice navigation display. I also think back to the halcyon days of Pirates of Paynetown when there was a parson with an indentured servant, both of whom were usually in character. There are lots opportunities to create displays. I've yet to see a sail-making display. (At least I can't think of having seen one.) Yet this was a crucial role on a ship, along with the carpenter.

the guy at brigand's grove doing the navigation display was rusty hicks from here in st. louis( rusty spike on the pub ) ... his display is very vast and covers many years...since i have been doing my own candles, both pillars and dipped, i could bring some once i do a new batch, but i dunno about actually doing a whole set up that covers from start to finish...maybe a mock set up that show the different stages of dipping candles might do ???

been toying around with hand sewing a sail for a while, but it has been set on the back burner...make one big enough for a fly or awning ?? or just a very small one for display ?? probably something like 8 x10 or so would be manageable and useful for shade.... just some thoughts

i have no idea if baggywrinkles were period or not... my limited knowledge says no, but i am sure that someone else can shed more light on it.. some of the books i have showing the sail consrtruction of period sails do not show or mention baggy wrinkles... leather is shown as chafing gear, and that is in the books i have...other books may show different.......but.... i do know how to make baggy wrinkles if it is deemed a necessity ...

When ever life improves for this marooned Lady, I've a good many ideas m'self for events. Aye, still a great number of possibilities. I've a list of scenarios I've been working on since 2007. Most I have yet to put into practice. Would LOVE to. Aye, many of the trades have yet to be practiced fully at events other than just displays. I'm sure several events there have been people performing them. I know with the crew I'm trying to set up, I want to be quiet involved and realistic with cleaning of weapons, working on sails or woodworking as though repairing a ship, or have a deck and actually 'cleaning', inventory of goods (which I am slowly still working on a stockpile of items to look like goods taken from a prize), etc. Aye, a good number of things can be done. Truly do wish I could partake. I'm a wealth of ideas. Someday, mates. Shall venture to Put In Bay.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

• 2 weeks later...