Put-in-Bay Ohio 2011

michaelsbagley

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

Well it didn't happen the week or two after I got back from vacation at the beginning of March as anticipated.... But the organizer and I finally did find a chance to meet when our schedules didn't conflict. The conversation was very easy going, because it seems he and those who gave me feedback were very much on the same page on most things.

First off, the festival is getting more press this year... (See below image of a page from the regional tour guide book). It is also getting it's own web page (which I am told will be up in the weeks to come, I'll post the link as soon as I get it). (correction, the URL will be http://www.pyratefest.co , it ids up, just not finished yet) Please note, the URL is ".co" and NOT ".com" (the .com is used by a different festival). Also the schedule on the web page is subject to change, please speak up or let me know if you think any activities scheduled for us should be at a different time, or should be added or not listed or whatever. Also please note, the "Pirate King Captain Mad Dog" is someone other than our beloved M.A.d'Dogge.... It's a pirate festival, it wouldn't be unless there were at least two Mad Dogs around to confuse. B) I also saw mention of a pirate ball Saturday night, I don't have any of the details on that, but I will ask!

This year we were offered the opportunity to divide our travel to the island into two or three stages, so we don't ALL have to meet at the same time and place, we can set two or three times to do so. We have been asked again to compact as much as possible into as few vehicles as possible (like three, maybe four) so as to minimize the costs of ferrying all of us to the island. Food will be provided again, but this year, we will have to come up with a "meal plan" and provide a grocery list and do the food preparation ourselves... The cost of doubling our numbers.

There WILL BE a skirmish this year, as well as we have been asked to participate in the ongoing black powder demonstrations (along side the same canon crew that were there last year. In fact, we have been asked to use the roped off area for the canons for our skirmish (the roped area is larger than I thought it was).

According to the brochure, the costume contest will be for the trip to the Caymans for their Pirate festival as it was last year (as won by stupid M.A. d'Dogge)

Let me know if there are any other questions or concerns so I can answer to them or get the answers in plenty of time. It's looking like this festival is going to be exponentially better than last year!

2011-05-04_20-23-11_108.jpg

Michael_banner.jpg

I would appreciate it if someone would cart all the surgical stuff over to the island. I could leave it with you guys in Columbus if that will work because I won't be needing it in-between events.

OR, I could bring my pickup over (8' open bed) if you're looking for a pack mule. If someone else would rather bring their vehicle, I really don't have a need or even an interest in bringing mine, but the offer's there if you want it. I will be traveling pretty light other than the surgical gear. Even that is fairly small (but getting quite dense and thus heavy.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

We can talk more details next week at the Santa Maria, but Mission we would be more than happy to cart your surgical gear for you.

In fact talking at the Santa Maria next week will help a lot, as it looks as if most of the people considering Put-In-Bay will be at the Santa Maria.

I have the Friday of the Put-In-Bay weekend off, so I will likely be spear heading the first wave of re-enactors to the island (late Friday morning, or early Friday afternoon pending other folks schedules).

Michael_banner.jpg

me, connie and carol can plan to be there, friday morning... we can also bring our big red van which will swallow a whole encampment AND tow a boat....

we also have our big o' wall tent which can sleep up to 50 or more or stash loads of stuff in... otherwise we were just going to bring the wedge tent and maybe the fly.... we currently also have a diamond shelter which can be set up in a few different ways...

let us know what we should bring...

me, connie and carol can plan to be there, friday morning... we can also bring our big red van which will swallow a whole encampment AND tow a boat....

we also have our big o' wall tent which can sleep up to 50 or more or stash loads of stuff in... otherwise we were just going to bring the wedge tent and maybe the fly.... we currently also have a diamond shelter which can be set up in a few different ways...

let us know what we should bring...

That helps. Last time Jennie and I brought our own tent plus a wedge tent for people to sleep in plus a wedge tent and a fly for the display. I think that we had one other fly. We could have used more canvas for display.

I'll probably be arriving with Michael so we will need another vehicle to ferry belongings over to the island.

ben, i don't think that will be a problem.... we will have the wedge and a diamond available, but not sure how people will want to disburse the yardage of canvas between the two sites...

i plan on making canvas dividers for inside the big o' wall tent, so people can kinda have a room to themselves... carol and connie will be there also, and they snore quite a bit !!

Clint/Mike,

Just a quick note: are the dates confirmed now? I need to start looking at this event with some planning. I hope to have 'people' in tow for this event...to help with travel/cost. Please let me know. Thank you.

photo-2975.jpg?__rand=0.71617700+1286403
Member of "The Forsaken"

Hey Cheeky, the dates have been locked for a while, so you are clear there. We will have to coordinate a limited number of trips to the island (3?) As we can get plenty of pedestrian ferry passes, but we will be limited to 3(?) Vehicles... which is why we will all have to try and travel as light as possible and coordinate avoiding bringing any duplicate equipment (cooking gear, huge tents for singles etc.)...

Which leads me to Silas Thatcher's post... Sorry to be slow in getting back to you, but between Santa Maria and work I gave been swamped... but if you, Connie and Carol are going to all share the tent... bring just your large tent. I think everyone coming has their own tent/accommodations, but if anyone does need a loaner I am sure they will speak up. I think Mark's fly should serve us again this year, so thanks for the offer, but we ned to try to keep things streamlined

Michael_banner.jpg

Hey Cheeky, the dates have been locked for a while, so you are clear there. We will have to coordinate a limited number of trips to the island (3?) As we can get plenty of pedestrian ferry passes, but we will be limited to 3(?) Vehicles... which is why we will all have to try and travel as light as possible and coordinate avoiding bringing any duplicate equipment (cooking gear, huge tents for singles etc.)...

Which leads me to Silas Thatcher's post... Sorry to be slow in getting back to you, but between Santa Maria and work I gave been swamped... but if you, Connie and Carol are going to all share the tent... bring just your large tent. I think everyone coming has their own tent/accommodations, but if anyone does need a loaner I am sure they will speak up. I think Mark's fly should serve us again this year, so thanks for the offer, but we ned to try to keep things streamlined

Last year for the display we set up one of my wedges and a fly. There might have been something else. We were a bit crowded trying to find shade. I expect this year to be cooler with a greater chance of rain. With more people it would be nice to have at least one more fly or wedge that could be opened up.

I'm not going to bring as much display stuff this year. We ended up with more stuff than we could properly display so I will concentrate on canvass, tables, and boats.

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been BANNED from the contest...so it seems...to allow others to be the PRETTY ONE this year....but be forwarned....I'd be let back into the fray 2012....MUhahahahah

Really M.A.d'Dogge?! I should say that with the twenty something pirates invading their port...we should have more than our share of 'pretty pirates'...especially with the women folk who will be there this year.

Member of "The Forsaken"

• 3 weeks later...

The first few photos are up on the Surgeon's Journal Facebook fan page. (Click on the link back there to see them.)

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

I'll try and post a AAR later (like in the next few days)... but a HUGE congrats to Cheeky Actress for being this years contest winner for the trip to the Caymans!

That makes the re-enactors two for two on winning! I couldn't be more proud of how well the varied re-enactors who have cone together over the last two years have done!

Michael_banner.jpg

Ive been BANNED from the contest...so it seems...to allow others to be the PRETTY ONE this year....but be forwarned....I'd be let back into the fray 2012....MUhahahahah

You're back in the contest for next year.

I'll try and post a AAR later (like in the next few days)... but a HUGE congrats to Cheeky Actress for being this years contest winner for the trip to the Caymans!

That makes the re-enactors two for two on winning! I couldn't be more proud of how well the varied re-enactors who have cone together over the last two years have done!

Thank you Mickey! Now All I hav to do is explain to my hubby why I need to take M.A.Dogge with me?! My hubby still cannot believe I won...even when I show him the letter. And I sware he did say this...."Did you steal this?" I just smiled. What a fantastic event! It was so great to see all of you again!....I cannot wait to share in your company once more!

Member of "The Forsaken"

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

As it was explained to me, it's always the weekend before the 4th of July weekend.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Hmmm... many an event that weekend, too. Hmmm. Pity events cannot be spread out more.

Thank ye though. Shall make a notation of it.

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Hmmm... many an event that weekend, too. Hmmm. Pity events cannot be spread out more.

Thank ye though. Shall make a notation of it.

~Lady B

I know both Blackbeards (VA) and Port Washington (Wi) and Fort De Chartres (MO) are three or four weeks earlier... But I can not think of a single conflicting pirate event for this weekend. There are likely some Rev-War, F&IW, and possibly some War of 1812 events going on the same weekend... And likely some Renn-Faires running at the same time... But I don't know of any pirate re-enactor focussed events running that same weekend in the Mid-West. Regardless, this will likely be the fourth years this festival will occupy that weekend, and since the event has grown steadily every year since it's inception, I don't see the dates changing. One thing that was told to me by members of the chamber of commerce last year was the pirate event out-did the 4th of July weekend last year. And since the 4th of July is... WAS the islands biggest money maker, I think there is a lot of vested interest in not chaging the dates.

That said, the official web site hasn't been updated yet, and I haven't begun talks with the event organizer yet, so I don't have official info on the dates, but I would wager it will very likely be the June 30/July 1 weekend.

Considering both years the grand prize for a trip for two to the Cayman Islands was the prize for the costume contest, re-enactors won (and most of the top contenders were also re-enactors).... This is not an event you'll want to miss lightly.

But now that it has come up.... Anyone have any suggestions for me to take to the organizer for this year? I'd say while not official, it is likely I will be the coordinator for the re-enactors again this year.

Michael_banner.jpg