Put-in-Bay Ohio 2011

michaelsbagley

Just got an email from the organizer, planning has commenced. More news to come...

But unrelated to the organization of the re-enactment encampment there, the organizer has asked me to put it out there that more vendors are wanted to expand the pirate market... Artists, crafters, historically influenced sutlers, and more pop-culture pirate themed vendors all wanted. Contact me and I will put you in touch with the organizer for the vendors.

Re-enactors, I will be the point man on this one again... M.A. d'Dogge, you have been requested by name for some ungodly reason... something to do with being the currently reigning champion.

Date is currently UNCONFIRMED but likely to be the weekend of June 24th through 26th.

Michael_banner.jpg

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is on their site:

June 24-27

The 3rd Annual Pyrate Fest weekend at the Bay

Pyrates invade Put-in-Bay's downtown harbor Friday at 4 p.m. to open the 2011 Put-in-Bay Pirate Fest. Saturday has a Pirate Parade and Costume Contest for kids and adults, Pyrate marketplace and displays, A Kids fun fest and black powdr firing demonstrations. Monday is the infamous Cardboard Boat Races at 6 p.m. in the downtown harbor. Reenactors demonstrate sword fighting techniques and the art of skullduggary.

Official Lodging headquarters are the Put-in-Bay Resort & Conference Center and the Bay Lodging Resort for reservations call 1-888-742-7829

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

For those wanting to stay at a hotel, from my experience, book right-freaking-now. When spring hits, the place fills up practically overnight. The cheapest reservation I could find in May was running $400 a night (which was too rich for my blood).

This year I booked at the Park Hotel and the rate (with taxes) was $147.41 at night. Ok, it's still not cheap - in fact it's pretty much Key West prices - but since Put-in-Bay is pretty much Key West lite I guess that explains it. Even still, it's a helluva lot cheaper than $400.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

John: "I don't know."

Mycroft: "Neither do I. But initially he wanted to be a pirate."

Mission_banner5.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Well the organizer and I have been exchanging emails pretty regularly over this, and because the re-enactors that were involved last year left such a good impression (THANKS YOU ALL FOR THAT!!!), the Mayor is more open to new ideas for the festival. The first thing I suggested was a skirmish, as that is often a favourite part of events like this, for participants and spectators alike. I'm not (and can't) say this is going to happen, but the idea has been noted (by the Mayor), and there is a willingness to discuss it. That said, the organizer and I will be trying to set up a face to face in the coming weeks to hash out ideas and talk things through as email on top of being slow, is not always the ideal way for those kind of conversations.

So, I am asking anyone and everyone here to let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions that you think I should take to the table? After all, this is not a "crew" event, and in the spirit of that, it should reflect all the individuals involved... Specially since it is all of us working together that will make or break this event. I would also like to hear suggestion of those who have not been able to make or can not for whaever reasons.

I'd prefer the discussions stay on the form and be public, but if you are really shy about posting your ideas, don't hesitate to private message me about them. The first week or two of March was mentioned for the face to face meeting, so please share by that time! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Well the organizer and I have been exchanging emails pretty regularly over this, and because the re-enactors that were involved last year left such a good impression (THANKS YOU ALL FOR THAT!!!), the Mayor is more open to new ideas for the festival. The first thing I suggested was a skirmish, as that is often a favourite part of events like this, for participants and spectators alike. I'm not (and can't) say this is going to happen, but the idea has been noted (by the Mayor), and there is a willingness to discuss it. That said, the organizer and I will be trying to set up a face to face in the coming weeks to hash out ideas and talk things through as email on top of being slow, is not always the ideal way for those kind of conversations.

So, I am asking anyone and everyone here to let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions that you think I should take to the table? After all, this is not a "crew" event, and in the spirit of that, it should reflect all the individuals involved... Specially since it is all of us working together that will make or break this event. I would also like to hear suggestion of those who have not been able to make or can not for whaever reasons.

I'd prefer the discussions stay on the form and be public, but if you are really shy about posting your ideas, don't hesitate to private message me about them. The first week or two of March was mentioned for the face to face meeting, so please share by that time! ;)

We could take the boats out and exchange fire with the Niagara.

It's a pretty big step from what I saw last year to a battle. It would depend on how many re-enactors showed up because the other people I saw there generally didn't seem to be the sort who would engage in a battle. (OTOH, offer them the opportunity to shoot blackpowder weapons and who knows?)

As a thought, they might do presentation pieces on the stage showcasing different skills or activities.

Mycroft: "My brother has the brain of a scientist or a philosopher, yet he elects to be a detective. What might we deduce about his heart?"

Mission_banner5.JPG

Well Mission, it has been requested that we attempt to double or more or numbers from last year... Whether we get that many or not is another story, but I don't think it should be too much of a challenge considering how much more notice we have. Heck last year we had about a dozen souls, and that we scrounged up with only a few weeks short notice. Getting around 20 or more for this year should be a breeze..... Specially if The Foresaken join us (which I do hope happens).

Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "showcasing skills on the stage". Are you suggesting we do the display we do in camp all day in a more condensed formal 3 to 5 minute deal on the stage? Or am I way off course here? It sounds like a goo idea, but I just want to be sure I fully understanmd it.

Unrelated to suggestions... there is one more thing of note, we have been confirmed for the same camp area as we had last year (which I am thrillled about). For those who were not there last year who are considering this year, our camp area is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the main strip and the park where we display during the day. While having to transport the bulk of our displays back and forth each day is a minor inconvenience, it does give all the option of getting sleep.

Just so you know, the other option for our camp was IN the park across the street from the main strip, and considering the number of bars an night clubs on the main strip, sleep would likely not be much of an option if we had to try and sleep there. So I think the camping arrangement and the short walk is all for the better! ;)

Michael_banner.jpg

Well Mission, it has been requested that we attempt to double or more or numbers from last year... Whether we get that many or not is another story, but I don't think it should be too much of a challenge considering how much more notice we have. Heck last year we had about a dozen souls, and that we scrounged up with only a few weeks short notice. Getting around 20 or more for this year should be a breeze..... Specially if The Foresaken join us (which I do hope happens).

Although I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "showcasing skills on the stage". Are you suggesting we do the display we do in camp all day in a more condensed formal 3 to 5 minute deal on the stage? Or am I way off course here? It sounds like a goo idea, but I just want to be sure I fully understanmd it.

Unrelated to suggestions... there is one more thing of note, we have been confirmed for the same camp area as we had last year (which I am thrillled about). For those who were not there last year who are considering this year, our camp area is about a 5 to 10 minute walk from the main strip and the park where we display during the day. While having to transport the bulk of our displays back and forth each day is a minor inconvenience, it does give all the option of getting sleep.

Just so you know, the other option for our camp was IN the park across the street from the main strip, and considering the number of bars an night clubs on the main strip, sleep would likely not be much of an option if we had to try and sleep there. So I think the camping arrangement and the short walk is all for the better! ;)

Don't forget the number of drunks wandering through the park at night and the possibility that the automatic sprinkler system would come on. The place we camp is only a block or so from the display area but it is behind the bars where the drunks don't wander.

In the absence of the Niagara, we could attack the island from the boats and storm the park. We could have up to three boats if Jay brings his (we would have to carry it in one of the larger ones on the ferry). It is up to him if he wants to take his little boat out on Lake Erie.

I was thinking of something like they do at Ren Faires where people put together a particular 15 minute show that takes place at a scheduled time. (Not like what I do, but maybe like a sword-fighting display with commentary for 10-15 minutes or a cannon-firing display with an explanation of the cannon, its parts and procedure and a sample firing or such-like. (Or a surgical repair if you can find someone else to do it. ;) )

If scripted with humor and kept light, it would be a nice draw to the stage. Of course, it would be better if the stage was closer to the displays so people could wander off and have the less-staged, more educational displays (like mine) to wander through.

Mission_banner5.JPG

I was thinking of something like they do at Ren Faires where people put together a particular 15 minute show that takes place at a scheduled time. (Not like what I do, but maybe like a sword-fighting display with commentary for 10-15 minutes or a cannon-firing display with an explanation of the cannon, its parts and procedure and a sample firing or such-like. (Or a surgical repair if you can find someone else to do it. :P )

If scripted with humor and kept light, it would be a nice draw to the stage. Of course, it would be better if the stage was closer to the displays so people could wander off and have the less-staged, more educational displays (like mine) to wander through.

Michael and I checked out the first PIB Pirate Festival to years ago. They had some fencers dressed like characters from PoTC who did a complicated 4-way choreographed duel. I'm sure that the organizers would love something like us but I don't see than happening. It takes too much rehearsal time to do it safely.

Maybe a quick demonstration on how to load and fire a musket would work. I've done this many times at Jamestown. We would have to get permission to fire. Last year they restricted where and when guns could be fired.

Maybe a quick demonstration on how to load and fire a musket would work. I've done this many times at Jamestown. We would have to get permission to fire. Last year they restricted where and when guns could be fired.

It might be a small step towards allowing the group to fire in a battle for the following year if we did it well. They seem very safety conscious (which is a good thing). If you want to be allowed to battle and fire weapons, you have to show them that we are also safety conscious, which might best be done is small steps. It seems like that's what the cannon guy was doing to get permission to fire his cannon.

Mission_banner5.JPG

Here is a complete(ly inaccurate) account of last year's event as put together by your ship's surgeon, consisting mostly of odd commentary, but also detailing stuff that happened on Saturday. When I created it, I could not find a formal site for the event, although I believe the calendar on the Put-in-Bay site that I link to includes it. (Mentions it is more what it does.)

Mission_banner5.JPG

I will be in attendance...tis too dang close for me not to....if nothing more than to defend my title as the "Prettiest Pirate"...HAHAHA

as for the rest of the Forsaken....there have been much interest as well...but will have to wait awhile before actual numbers of committment.

some of us are have a more performance background...i am sure that "skits or scenes " can be added thru out the day as well

as well as demos on Fashion of the time(why we are wearring what we are wearring?) etcetc....

and i can see a "Battle Scenario" with the use of the other group with the cannons....PIrates invade and the Town Miltita protected by the Canons etcetcetc...a way to swell the numbers and use the same space in the park allready designated as a firring zone

will think more on it

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I will be in attendance...tis too dang close for me not to....if nothing more than to defend my title as the "Prettiest Pirate"...HAHAHA

as for the rest of the Forsaken....there have been much interest as well...but will have to wait awhile before actual numbers of committment.

some of us are have a more performance background...i am sure that "skits or scenes " can be added thru out the day as well

as well as demos on Fashion of the time(why we are wearring what we are wearring?) etcetc....

and i can see a "Battle Scenario" with the use of the other group with the cannons....PIrates invade and the Town Miltita protected by the Canons etcetcetc...a way to swell the numbers and use the same space in the park allready designated as a firring zone

will think more on it

Just introducing yourself can turn into a five minute presentation.

I'm glad to hear that you are coming. We should coordinate displays. Between us, we brought enough more display stuff than we had room for.

thats another consideration...will the same space be allocated in the park?

just utilising the same space...we might be able to set up a semi circle...back toward the street...with yur dry docked boat in the center agin...really liked that btw....to give folks more of a destination rather than a drive by from the street

just thinking

I also liked the boat being there. It added the right touch somehow. (You could probably charge people to have their photo taken sitting in it. :lol: )

However, I'd prefer we have our backs to the park or all the photos people take will have modern elements in them and the busy street scene. The photos looked better facing the park. (MHO)

Mission_banner5.JPG

i was just thinking about that row of tables behind us....that seemed the lions share of traffic flow...seems a lot were comming off the High speed ferry ....that as well as the corner side walk entrance to the park...last years set up left us a little ...undefind is all...considering mission and i pretty much took over Marks Fly...HAHA!! ;)

but i am also all about back drop with the trees as well....we might just want to consider opening up a bit

do we know how much room yet? or just figuring on the same amount of space??

Edited by M.A.d'Dogge

Well I have bad news and good news... I'll deal with the bad news first.....

I got a call from the organizer on my drive home from work, and we are meeting tomorrow meaning we have less time than I had hoped to discuss and brain storm ideas. We still have this evening, and I am fairly sure ideas could be added in, but please, please, please, if you have anything you want asked, or ideas to contribute, post or message me this evening.

The good news is....

The skirmish is almost a lock. There are a few small details to hash out, but including a skirmish is a very likely addition this year. The good impression all those left last year has given the mayor, the local police, the event organizers, and anyone else who has a say the confidence to move forward with this idea. I still don't know what our predecessors did that caused the trepidation for us last year, but I know what we did to overcome it. ;) A great job!

The organizer and I did briefly discuss some items on the phone, in our excitement, and it sounds like many of the ideas that have been posted here, have been thought of by him as well (some ideas the same, some he had similar ideas to).... So it does seem there is a good synchronicity between those involved in this event, which is always a good thing!

All that said, I will be trying to call some of you (time permitting) this evening to try and help get as many ideas as possible so I can g to the meeting tomorrow with everyone's best interests and ideas in mind. If you have a burning idea, don't want to post it or message me, please do call me (if you have my number), or message me for my number if you don't have it.

Michael_banner.jpg

Some day, at some event, somewhere, I'd really like to see Captain Jim's idea of building a mock up of a mast with sails on it so we could explain the sails, ropes and knots. (Probably not at Put-in-Bay, but I just thought of it when Michael said he wanted to hear every idea.) Anyone who has seen DB's display at PiP can comprehend how we might do it, albeit on a smaller than actual scale. From the PiP '10 Surgeon's Journal, here's a photo of DB's mast set-up, taken by Iron John:

p4_camp_wrecker_db2.jpg

Mission_banner5.JPG

I agree with Mission....

But also, If we are facing the street, that would make our group seem more inviting to those walking by on the sidewalk. Dontcha think?

Maybe the thing to do is to put the boat in front of the camp instead of behind.

If I'm lucky I will have enough time and good weather to make a proper mast for the boat. Plus something to keep it straight on the trailer.