Midwest snowstorm

We are watching movies, reading books, and posting here on the pub. 12" since 6 a.m. and still heavily falling here near Warsaw, MO. The DOT shut-down the main trunk highway, and it looks like nobody is going anywhere for a couple of days.

How 'bout ya'll? What are you doing to pass the time?

Bo

We are watching movies, reading books, and posting here on the pub. 12" since 6 a.m. and still heavily falling here near Warsaw, MO. The DOT shut-down the main trunk highway, and it looks like nobody is going anywhere for a couple of days.

How 'bout ya'll? What are you doing to pass the time?

Bo

Drinking rhum in Grubville Mo........Yo Ho

Yo Ho.......

Playing with the kids, cooking some extra stuff incase we lose power, brought in firewood, fixing to either read a tad or sew on my coat, waiting to see if I get called in by the LT for extra duty. We are at 2" of Ice and sleet, snow is coming though, news says 18 - 24"

snowstorm.jpg

Not sure if you can see all the icicles, gotta love it!

If it was raining soup, I'd be stuck outside with a fork.....

Out in central OH we're still in the ice and freezing rain stage.. the snow is supposed to be coming though. Hope I make ithome from the game thisevening before it gets too bad. So far the roads are slick, but the biggest danger is the drivers not used to ice (going too fast or too slow).

Michael_banner.jpg

We lucked-out of the ice part, but we are up to 18" of snow so far and still in near white-out.

Made cinnamon rolls, put out hay for the horses and checked their blankets, gonna take a nap next I think. No way to get out of here with all the hills and valleys.

Bo

Sittin' in the lull between today's snow-ice mix and tonight's ice storm. It took a half hour to clean off the car for tonight's commute home. I can only guess at the morning's prospects. ;) Rum and cinnamon rolls sounds great.

Jas. Hook ;)'Keeping yer' lights on since '69'

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Watching all the tourists running around in our 81 degrees, trying to find a room in the overbooked hotels because of all the cancelled flights.

Guess I'll go sailing again this weekend.

Edited by D B Couper

D.B. Couper

laid on the heating pad for my neck muscles, made a bigger jig for dipping candles, tried it out before i make another, took a trip to the grocery store, and decided i am cancelling work tomorrow, did make it in today, but the job got shut down at 9:30,and right now ..... drinking dr. pepper and blackheart rum !!

Yeah yeah... warm weather... we get it. But, you can keep your warm weather... already had my fair share of that last summer! Too warm in my opinion.

Well... one of the Blizzard areas. LOTS and LOTS of snow. Well over a foot of snow and still counting. Been Whiteout since 1pm Tuesday. The storm started at 11am, hours before anticipated. Nearly 15 hours of snowfall and blizzard winds. Roads are unpassible. Travel Not Advised or Closed roads all around. The Plows were pulled because it was just impossible to keep up with the snowfall and the blowing snow that once the roads were plowed, they were covered just minutes later.

The Weather people were not kidding when they said "this winter storm is one for the record books". It really is.

But sadly, people are still stupid enough to be out in it. Or they were during the day. And even in the "daylight" (and I stress that) as it literially was whiteout, you could barely see 25 feet in front of you. Roads covered in a few inches of snow. Oh, and mind you, this is in town. Outside of the towns and cities..., yeah, right! YOU CAN'T DRIVE ANYWHERE! Accidents galore, whiteout completely, etc. You risk your life out in the rural areas. You know it's bad outside of town when it's bad in town!

And now... we await the deadly cold behind this blizzard. Ahhh, the joys of Iowa weather. Yes, this is something that if you are NOT from here, you most definitely will NOT tolerate this sort of weather. Period! :)

BRING IT ON!! ;)

~Lady B

Tempt Fate! an' toss 't all t' Hell!"

"I'm completely innocent of whatever crime I've committed."

The one, the only,... the infamous!

Uff da, I bagged work today. Stepped out the front door and couldn't make it down the porch. Street is a sheet of ice. ;)

Cinnamon raisin toast and a big cup of coffee for now. ;)

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

Woke up to nearly 10 inches this morning....told the wife...she rolled over and told me to Wait til my Birthday and Quit Lying!!

;)

the Snow babe....the Snow!!

that was the first wave...expecting the deeper stuff this afternoon....missed all the Ice up here in Michigan....kinda Jealous...was lookin forward to getting the Jeep out in some dep stuff!!

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

I won't lord good weather over anyone here. Because then you'll have every right to laugh at us when another hurricane smacks us and send us scurrying for safety.

Suffice it to say that I have been through some nasty storms when I lived in the Northwest and I feel for all of you. It's no fun when the power is out or when you have to travel through ice and snow just to make a living or get some food. It's definitely no fun shoveling the walk or driveway or having some uninsured idiot slide into your car.

We can all laugh down here, but some of us realize the difficulties of making it through another day in snow, ice and wind.

Good luck all. Stay warm, don't take unnecessary chances and know that with all things, this too shall pass.

-- Hurricane

http://piratesofthecoast.com/images/pyracy-logo1.jpg

• Captain of The Pyrates of the Coast
  • Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny
  • Bon Vivant & Roustabout
  • Part-time Carnival Barker
  • Certified Ex-Wife Collector
  • Experienced Drinking Companion

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

"Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Years Before the Mast" - Amazon.com

We ended up with 22-24 inches here in Benton County, MO, now we are preparing for the deep freeze. Right now the temp is 13f with a wind chill of -1f. The sun is out but it only serves to blind you when you go out. I hope the power doesn't fail us, as we lost our furnace last year and the insurance company nixed the woodstove, so we are relying on electric space heaters for this winter. (Don't worry, we bought the good infared ones and I ran individual circuits for each one).

I hope I can find a job this year so we can begin remodeling that has gotten behind since my injuries/carreer change. I have decided that we are going to tear down this old frame house and put up a metal building and design the interior as we go. Much more efficient and won't rot like the wood does.

Bo

Bo,

I feel that this year will be a good one for many of us. I send my good vibes your way in the hopes you find the jobs of your dreams and can do the many things on your 'to do' list that had to be postponed. I know many of my friends who are beginning to experience good fortunes again and I wish that for you and your family, too. Good things happen to good people, sir! And you are very good people.

-- Hurricane

• Author of "Memoirs of a Buccaneer: 30 Year Before the Mast" (Published in Fall 2011)
  • Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny

"I was screwed. I readied my confession and the sobbing pleas not to tell my wife. But as I turned, no one was in the bed. The room was empty. The naked girl was gone, like magic."

If I could send it, you can have all you want! :rolleyes:

Thanks Hurricane for the encouragement and well wishes, I hope you are right, but the education feild is going to take longer to recover I think.

I convinced our old camera to take a couple of shots before it died again:

snow2011002.jpg

snow2011001.jpg

My car-the snowdrift!

We were pleasantly suprised that the county came through this afternoon with the grader and opened up the road already, but it will take several hours to hand-shovel the twenty yards of driveway before I can drive her out. The truck and it's 4WD went right through it but the car sits too low. At least we can get out already, we weren't expecting it so soon. I'll have to call the road commissioner and tell him to give the crew KUDOS from us in the sticks!

Bo

Of course, when you call him he'll realize it was a horrible mistake and assure you it won't happen again.

I know what you mean about the different markets. Mine (freelancing) was horrible last year and is just showing signs of recovery right now. Usually it goes like gang busters in a downturn since people need work done that used to be done by staff. But not this go around.

Good luck sir and glad you weren't snow bound for too long. The option to go somewhere even if you don't is a nice one to have.

-- Hurricane

• Scurrilous Rogue
  • Stirrer of Pots
  • Fomenter of Mutiny