Short barrel rifle

Pistol Pete

Ahoy Cascabel;

I've been running a project thru me loaf fer making a blank firing blunderbus outa an old flintlock. In Florida a barrel under 13 1/2 in is a no no. Do you know if such restrictive laws apply to this?

Pistol Pete

I don't know Florida law at all. An educated guess is that muzzle loading weapons are exempt from the rules governing short barreled smoothbores and rifles. You will really need to dig into the laws and interpretations of them in Florida. Quite often laws are worded rather poorly and unfortunately are open to interpretation by judges based on their biases. Many places specifically exempt muzzle loading weapons entirely from those types of restrictions, or perhaps worse, don't mention them at all, which can cause problems.

Smooth bore flintlock pistols are quite commonly sold everywhere, so that may make it O.K. It is all dependent on how the laws are written. It's possible in some instances to be prosecuted for making the equivalent of a sawed-off shotgun, but not likely.

Do some digging, or get your favorite lawyer to check for you. DO NOT rely on asking a police officer. However well-intentioned they may be, they really can't be expected to be experts on all the applicable laws.

Let us know what you find out......

Ahoy Cascabel;

I've been running a project thru me loaf fer making a blank firing blunderbus outa an old flintlock. In Florida a barrel under 13 1/2 in is a no no. Do you know if such restrictive laws apply to this?

Pistol Pete

ther was a Musket in the Wydah Exhibit...that had the Barrell obviously sawn off....as well as the shoulder stock...believed to be a broken one "re-utilised" to a hell-o-va pistol....

P3123258.jpg

th_SunsetSpyGlass_edited-1.jpg

PP -

Ever consider just cutting it down to a carbine or musketoon length?

Makes life easier when dealing with the tipstaff or bailiff.

Jas. Hook ;)

"Born on an island, live on an island... the sea has always been in my blood." Jas. Hook

"You can't direct the wind . . . but . . . you can adjust the sails."

"Don't eat the chickens with writing on their beaks." Governor Sawney

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ahoy Cascabel;

Pistol Pete

I don't know Florida law at all. An educated guess is that muzzle loading weapons are exempt from the rules governing short barreled smoothbores and rifles. You will really need to dig into the laws and interpretations of them in Florida. Quite often laws are worded rather poorly and unfortunately are open to interpretation by judges based on their biases. Many places specifically exempt muzzle loading weapons entirely from those types of restrictions, or perhaps worse, don't mention them at all, which can cause problems.

Smooth bore flintlock pistols are quite commonly sold everywhere, so that may make it O.K. It is all dependent on how the laws are written. It's possible in some instances to be prosecuted for making the equivalent of a sawed-off shotgun, but not likely.

Do some digging, or get your favorite lawyer to check for you. DO NOT rely on asking a police officer. However well-intentioned they may be, they really can't be expected to be experts on all the applicable laws.

Let us know what you find out......

Son of a son of a son....

One stop shopping.

The ATF offers all state firearms laws on their webpage dedicated as such.

Just find FL on the right side of the page, click on it and read the laws yourself.

http://www.atf.gov/publications/firearms/state-laws/29th-edition/index.html

Why am I sharing my opinion? Because I am a special snowflake who has an opinion of such import that it must be shared and because people really care what I think!